Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Improvements

Quote Originally Posted by fog820 View Post
    The shift cam RT has only been out a short time but I have found some things I would like to see improved on it. Every bike has compromises and I will list things I think would make it better for me. Now the last bike before the switch to BMW had nearly 250,000 miles on it and I had some things I wanted changed on it, the RT addressed most of those things but there are others I would like to see changed.

Why are there no cup holders on the motorcycle? Designing the things in should be a no brainer.

Make the grips bigger. With the stock grips I feel like I am trying to hold on to pencils instead of handlebars. Were these things designed for the guys that can use those little buttons on a cell phone? Even with the wraps they are still quite small for my 3x hands.

Add some length to the bike between the bars and the luggage. A longer wheel base would help with stability when getting hit with gusting winds from the side and give more room for both the rider and passenger. It would also help with not kicking the bags when getting on and off the bike.

Hinge the gas cap the other way, it would make it lots easier to fill the tank.

How hard would it be to design the engine to run on regular? At most gas stations with one hose it used to be a fair amount of fuel was dispensed that was the same grade as the last user, not sure if that is the same now.

The windshield could be a bit wider, right now it will be great for summer as it still lets lots of air in, granted I wear a 3x jacket so my shoulders do catch a lot of air, but for winter use a wider screen would be nice.

Reverse via the starter would be nice for backing uphill, Honda has had that option for years, and once you have used it you will find it to be very handy indeed.

It would be nice to change the ratios in the transmission a bit. A lower first gear and a higher sixth would be really great. It could easily drop the rpm on the highway another 1000 to 1500 rpms and let first gear allow the bike to roll easily at a slow walking speed.

Have the switch gear lighted I am sure lots of folks would enjoy that especially for the features that are only used occasionally.

I would like to see more use of self adjusting hydraulic valves instead of the ones that need frequent adjustments. They can put them in cars that have high performance engines and Harley Davidson has been doing it for years.

Now it sounds like I am unhappy with the bike, nothing could be further from the truth, I like it a great deal. Those are small things and the bikes get redesigned from time to time so have at it BMW, you have 8 years till my warranty is up and then I will be looking for my next bike. I would be interested to see what things the rest of you would like to change.
    I'm thinking you need to sell the bike and get a car.

E.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    So basically you think the bike should be the same only completely different. A Goldwing with a Kuryakin cupholder on it would cover almost all of your wish list.
    ^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

Assuming the OP was serious and not just throwing a cat into a room full of canines...

This really sounds like the purchaser was wanting a full-on BarcaLounger-style touring bike like the Goldwing, or a long-wheelbase bagger ala H-D or the big-bore Oriental baggers. The RT is a sport-touring machine; the OP might find more satisfaction by trading it for a K1600 Grand America. Sometimes you find out what you really like by buying what you don’t really like.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Like someone said: everything is subjective.

I do not want ANY of the stuff mentioned above. I want to buy a new bike that comes minus ALL doo-dads. If some other rider wants to add the extra stuff, let 'em order it that way from the manufacturer. (BTW, I have the same issue with new cars. And, yes, I would pay a little extra for a m/c or car that can be purchased this way.)
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by 178592 View Post
    I would like to see a small pad attached to the handlebars where a monkey could sit and serve soft ice cream.
    I love my Dodge but wish it was a Ford.
    Boxerbruce

Sounds to me like the OP wants a K1600 GTL with an RT badge and some extra crap on it. No thanks.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    “Stripped” vehicles whether a motorcycle or car are pretty much a thing of the past........ Like RV’s without a slide room. You can probably order what you want (don’t want) from a dealer but I would expect a healthy deposit would be needed.
    Next time at a dealer, ask about ordering a stripper then ask about resale value in 5 years. Should answer all your questions.
    I’m sure most everyone remember trading a car where you “added for air” or “add for automatic”, now missing either is a deduction.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    “Stripped” vehicles whether a motorcycle or car are pretty much a thing of the past........ Like RV’s without a slide room. You can probably order what you want (don’t want) from a dealer but I would expect a healthy deposit would be needed.
    Next time at a dealer, ask about ordering a stripper then ask about resale value in 5 years. Should answer all your questions.
    I’m sure most everyone remember trading a car where you “added for air” or “add for automatic”, now missing either is a deduction.
    OM
    Next time you can see the details of a J.D. Powers reliability report for BMW motorcycles pay particular attention to what the nature of the complaints about failures are. Last time I looked the leading issues were: Blue tooth, traction control, instrumentation, navigation system, and other peripheral devices. Very little engine or driveline, but some suspension complaints, and occasional engine management complaints related to modes. A careful analysis of this data will illuminate why some folks prefer a more basic motorcycle.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Next time you can see the details of a J.D. Powers reliability report for BMW motorcycles pay particular attention to what the nature of the complaints about failures are. Last time I looked the leading issues were: Blue tooth, traction control, instrumentation, navigation system, and other peripheral devices. Very little engine or driveline, but some suspension complaints, and occasional engine management complaints related to modes. A careful analysis of this data will illuminate why some folks prefer a more basic motorcycle.
    Ok with me.
    I still remember when basic, now standard options were just look at as “something else to go wrong”.
    Buy what you want or like.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Ok with me.
    I still remember when basic, now standard options were just look at as “something else to go wrong”.
    Buy what you want or like.
    OM
    My comments about quality complaints was not at all directed at you. Your post was just a convenient part of the thread to reply to. I probably should have attached the comment as a reply to Royce's post # 13.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    My comments about quality complaints was not at all directed at you. Your post was just a convenient part of the thread to reply to. I probably should have attached the comment as a reply to Royce's post # 13.
    No worries
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I like basic too , don't need all the new suspensions stuff. I will take the ice cream please!

Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    I like basic too , don't need all the new suspensions stuff. I will take the ice cream please!
    We’ll take the monkey. Haven’t you always wanted a monkey?

Basic vs Advanced Features........

Consumers Reports has had a few recent articles on the cost and reliability of repairs for bumper proximity sensors and windshields with heads-up displays. While the technology is great, reliable repairs might be challenging.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

No thanks on the monkey.

I would like to see Motorrad sell their bikes w/ something like Yamaha's Y.E.S. warranty which seems like it's the closest thing to a net-zero warranty IOW Yamaha calculates the premium based on zeroing out claims + administrative overhead but w/o profit, no sales commission etc like you have w/ 3rd party warranties. There is arguably some level of built-in incentive for the company to maximize quality in order to minimize claim, but then again there may be less incentive for owners to sell the bike at 3y and buy a new one w/ a warranty. They could limit this by having the warranty be non-transferable to a new buyer for example. But again, as a new buyer you have to appreciate this warranty is far cheaper than what you pay to Zurich or whomever. Could be many new owners have no idea how long they will own the bike, though I knew immediatley I was in it for the long haul. They will probably also need to define a service life for parts that might not be considered 'consumables' but in some very real sense are given enough miles. I think all worries about legendary problems the brand became known for disappear instantly with this model, and also they are keeping all dollars collected essentially w/in the organization because warranty work will be done by their service departments. Not sure how the Y.E.S. warrant works but I know is was cheap when I looked into it for a new FJR.