• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

76 R90/6 - rear suspension inquiry

concernedparent

hi all, 76 R90/6, 28K miles. third owner. still has the stock springs on the rear, previous owner put progressive springs on the front forks.

was thinking about giving myself a suspension upgrade this year and wanted to weigh in what a good cost-effective improvement would be. i usually ride solo (my girlfriend wants to ride with me more but it never really happens all too often), typically with one bag carried on my back. multiple camping trips per year where i've strapped gear to the rear rack and a bag strapped down across the back part of my seat. i did pick up period-correct krauser racks and panniers over the winter that i plan on slapping on and using this coming riding season for camping adventures (however adventurous they may be, given the circumstances). mostly city riding but get out for longer trips around NY often.

what brand should i consider? used vs brand new? thanks for any feedback all.

The general shock in the day was to go to Konis...but they went out of business and were taken over by Ikon. Other names come to mind...Ohlins, Works, etc.

Might want to consider checking with either Tom Cutter @ Rubber Chicken Racing Garage or Ted Porter @ The Beemershop. They represent lines of shocks that they will customize your for style of riding...not really that much more expensive.

The general shock in the day was to go to Konis...but they went out of business and were taken over by Ikon. Other names come to mind...Ohlins, Works, etc.

Might want to consider checking with either Tom Cutter @ Rubber Chicken Racing Garage or Ted Porter @ The Beemershop. They represent lines of shocks that they will customize your for style of riding...not really that much more expensive.

All good suggestions. Koni shocks were legendary in their day and Ikon has kept that flame alive. Here's a link to what they offer for your bike: https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/collections/bmw/products/7610-1298

R100RS - Went with IKON's.

I went with IKON's on my '77 R100RS. It, too, had the original factory shocks on it when I got the bike in 2000.

They've worked very well for me. Also have Progressive springs up front.

I can't see trying some used ones...kind of a roll of the dice. New would be the way to go.

The ebay site doesn't give a whole lot of info about the shocks. The -1298 part number seems right from what I can remember for the Konis. Ikon has a "basix" shock on their website for less than $300 but it says there's no adjustable damping...the ebay site doesn't mention that one way or the other. Ikon has a "dial-a-ride" shock for a little over $400 which does have adjustable rebound damping. Here's Ikon's page for the -1298 shock...$420:

https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/products/7610-1298

thanks again for the input everyone. went with the IKON's and after a couple rides could not be happier.

zSKauLr.jpg

gqtzRIn.jpg

3ZbPAwm.jpg

Back