• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Honda 50 Sale - Bike BikeUrious

exgman

I imagine that a number of Forum readers are familiar with the BikeUrious emails and website. It's sponsored by Aerostich and generally shows older bikes that are for sale, usually at auction. Today's email showed the results from the past of a few bikes. One that I found pretty amazing was this 1966 Honda 50:

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 8.41.44 AM.png

Beautiful bike!
I remember those and the Mini-Trails. I long for the simplicity of those early machines.
OM

My first motorcycle! Mine was a 1963, purchased for me in 1965 by my father as payment for a summer of hard work on the farm. I flogged that thing unmercifully, on-road and off, and it just kept chugging along. Cut my eye teeth on MC wrenching on that bike too, checking out the Chilton’s manual from the local library so often and for so long that the librarian suggested buying a copy. Probably a good thing I didn’t see that auction before it ended or I’d have been tempted to toss in a bid as a ride for quick trips to the local hardware store. Those were great little bikes...

Best,
DeVern

My older sister had that exact bike... not that nice of course. And one summer when I was about 10 years old, she left it in my care with instructions to start it once per week and run it around the block. And I faithfully followed her instructions. I loved that thing.:)

A 1966 Honda 50 was my first bike in May 1969. Mine was black, the knee guards were removed and replaced with a Honda 90 gas tank. Awesome ride for 2 weeks! Then bought a 250 Harley Sprint.

A 1966 Honda 50 was my first bike in May 1969. Mine was black, the knee guards were removed and replaced with a Honda 90 gas tank. Awesome ride for 2 weeks! Then bought a 250 Harley Sprint.

Harley Sprints , NOT good memory! Sorry.

I started out on a Honda 55 version of that bike! This photo brings back so many good memories. I haven't been without a motorcycle since, and I was 11 years old back then. :bliss

Back in 66 a local Honda dealer had a small fleet of Honda 50's for rent. We would ride them all over the local metro area. It was my intro into the MC world. Later that summer I bought my first new MC, a Honda CB450.

It is easy to see why Honda decided to sell a re-make (sort of) version of the Super Cub. This one is 125 cc and is around $4k.

honda super cub.jpg

Robsryder
Thanks for posting that picture.
That bike looks like alot of fun!!
Maybe it will get some more people hooked.
My 1st street bike was a 1976 Honda CB 750 with a full windjammer fairing.
That thing was hot stuff for the time.
Nick

Back in 66 a local Honda dealer had a small fleet of Honda 50's for rent. We would ride them all over the local metro area. It was my intro into the MC world. Later that summer I bought my first new MC, a Honda CB450.

Here in Boulder we also had a shop that rented small honda's like the 50 but I can't remember exactly which one. This was also 1966

My friends and I would rent them and sneak into the local drive-in theater and set up out own little race course among the drive up ramps and speaker posts. We rode the heck out of those little machines! Great memory. Thanks for the reminder.

In Waukegan Illinois there was a Suzuki shop that rented 80cc bikes during that same time frame. Truly amazing, given the liability concerns (at least by today's standards), no helmet law, no licensing law.

In Waukegan Illinois there was a Suzuki shop that rented 80cc bikes during that same time frame. Truly amazing, given the liability concerns (at least by today's standards), no helmet law, no licensing law.

Most large cities have companies renting electric scooters now without ever even seeing the customer. NO protective gear, no instruction, no license. Not as fast as a motorcycle, but a lot less stable.

Back