• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r75/5 rear shocks

tinkerer

i have a set of koni rear shocks on my /5
i have put a lot of miles and twenty some years on these
are they worth rebuilding or replacement
i am not even sure they have failed
thanks

Koni

I think Koni is out of business. So you may not be able to get parts to rebuild.

For the cost, you might be just as well better off buying a new set.

I have progressive shocks and springs on my 78RS. They seem to work well. On my RT, I am still using the BMW Nivomat shocks. When they fail, I will most likely go to Progressive. St.

i have a set of koni rear shocks on my /5
i have put a lot of miles and twenty some years on these
are they worth rebuilding or replacement
i am not even sure they have failed
thanks

Koni is very much in business, but haven't made motorcycle shocks in 20 years or better. However, IKON is the company who bought the tooling and rights to their designs back in the day and have improved on those designs since. I would contact IKON about rebuilding your shocks.

I wasn't aware that IKON could rebuild my Koni shocks. Tom Cutter and Ted Porter are distributors for various shock companies and they can design a shock for your riding style. Probably the basic shock without too many farkles would still be in the price range of the IKONs. I haven't been down that road yet, but I'd certainly consider it.

I wasn't aware that IKON could rebuild my Koni shocks. Tom Cutter and Ted Porter are distributors for various shock companies and they can design a shock for your riding style. Probably the basic shock without too many farkles would still be in the price range of the IKONs. I haven't been down that road yet, but I'd certainly consider it.

I don't know for sure that IKON can or will rebuild actual KONI shocks, but it could be worth checking out. :)

Give Ted Porter at BeemerShop a call, he's in Scotts Valley just down the road from you.
Didn't know about his shop until a few years ago.

Replaced shocks on my '76 R90 8 years ago with Works shocks before I knew the bike was a keeper.
The Works shocks have been rebuilt and work well, but had I known then I was going to still have the bike I would have spent the bucks to get the next step up on adjustable reservoir type shocks.

Ted can help you out with info.

Bill

I put Hagon Shocks on my 71 /R60/5 twenty thousand miles ago. I have been using them for two years. I have been very please with them. I ordered them over the phone. The person I spoke with asked me a a lot of questions about my weight, type of riding, one up, two up etc. and helped me order exactly what I needed. They fit the bike perfectly and were easy to install. The price was very reasonable.
I recommend them highly.
Adirondack Bob

Back