• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Small rant…

jpond

Just got a new-to-me 2014 RT to go along with my 2006 RT. When I picked it up, the dealer gave me an envelope with, among other things, the owner's manual.

Imagine my surprise to find that there is nowhere on this bike to hold what is really a tiny owner's manual! The cover for the gps fills one tiny cubby, and the iPhone fills the other. Even with them both empty, the OM won't fit! No where under the seat, either!

Yes, I know you can put it in the luggage. But the entire point of removable luggage is that you can remove it and still ride…

Sigh.

Rant over.

John

I have a 2018 RT, same deal. no place for the manual or a small tool pouch. You would think they could at least put a place in one of the bags to strap in a small pouch.

2007 F800ST OM strapped under the seat. I guess the next thing is store your OM is a tank bag! Yes, my tool bag goes one of the saddlebag.

Just got a new-to-me 2014 RT to go along with my 2006 RT. When I picked it up, the dealer gave me an envelope with, among other things, the owner's manual.

Imagine my surprise to find that there is nowhere on this bike to hold what is really a tiny owner's manual! The cover for the gps fills one tiny cubby, and the iPhone fills the other. Even with them both empty, the OM won't fit! No where under the seat, either!

Yes, I know you can put it in the luggage. But the entire point of removable luggage is that you can remove it and still ride…

Sigh. Rant over. John

I have a 2018 RT, same deal. no place for the manual or a small tool pouch. You would think they could at least put a place in one of the bags to strap in a small pouch.

If I were in your situation(s), I'd scan the manual as a PDF and copy into my phones. I always ride with one of my phones, just in case something unexpected should happen. :dunno

BMW has the manual available in PDF form here:https://manuals.bmw-motorrad.com/en/rider-manual. Keep it on your phone. It takes up no additional space on the bike, is readable in the dark, does not turn to mush when damp, vibrations do not wear the print off the pages, and it is easily searchable.

I've always carried the owners manual for every bike I've ever owned, going back almost fifty years now, though I cannot recall a single time I have ever used one away from home.

I keep mine with my other ebooks and manuals, including my Sena Manual, Zumo manual, Skene programming instructions, some roadside repair tips, a first aid reference and the Anonymous Book. Keeping them on my phone insures I can access them without a cell signal.

BMW has the manual available in PDF form here:https://manuals.bmw-motorrad.com/en/rider-manual. Keep it on your phone. It takes up no additional space on the bike, is readable in the dark, does not turn to mush when damp, vibrations do not wear the print off the pages, and it is easily searchable.

I've always carried the owners manual for every bike I've ever owned, going back almost fifty years now, though I cannot recall a single time I have ever used one away from home.

I keep mine with my other ebooks and manuals, including my Sena Manual, Zumo manual, Skene programming instructions, some roadside repair tips, a first aid reference and the Anonymous Book. Keeping them on my phone insures I can access them without a cell signal.

Thanks for the suggestion, Larry, and everyone else. I do that already.

I still cannot believe anyone sells a vehicle that does not have space for its Owner's Manual. It's just that simple.

John

I still cannot believe anyone sells a vehicle that does not have space for its Owner's Manual. It's just that simple.

John

I have a 2019 BMW 530ex (PHEV). The owner's manual consists of six volumes, with a total thickness of about two inches. It only fits in the "glove compartment" if there's nothing else in there, and it's canted just the right way. Using the "Infotainment" systems requires looking online.

As for my 2015 RT, I'm saving the manual in pristine condition for the next owner...

Never considered bringing/carrying the owners manual with me :dunno
OM

My manuals stay in my bikes' glove boxes and I have had need to use them on occasion while touring. After this thread, they will be staying at home after I scan them, freeing up some glove box space.

My manual is stuffed into the cavity ahead of the brake light assembly in it's vinyl pouch with the registration and insurance card. I don't need it there, but it fits and is out of the way yet easily accessible if (when) I get pulled over. I don't know if the Wetheads have a similar cubby hole you could use. For what it's worth, in all my years of owning motor vehicles I have never, not once, needed the owner's manual for something on the road.

My manual is stuffed into the cavity ahead of the brake light assembly in it's vinyl pouch with the registration and insurance card. I don't need it there, but it fits and is out of the way yet easily accessible if (when) I get pulled over. I don't know if the Wetheads have a similar cubby hole you could use. For what it's worth, in all my years of owning motor vehicles I have never, not once, needed the owner's manual for something on the road.

In my 2006 I have a first aid kit and a spare immobilizer ring in that space, a much-enhanced tool roll under the passenger seat, and the OM, registration, insurance papers, tire pressure gauge, flashlight, rockit straps, chapstick, gum, helmet lock extenders, and lord knows what else in the glove box. The 2014 has room for none of this. I accept most of this, but the lack of space for even the OM just seems a bit ridiculous.

Ah well. It seems everyone would rather think of how to let BMW off the hook or minimize this. Ok.

Cheers!

John

There is plenty of room under the front seat for the manual in a plastic bag. I have stored my tire repair kit before.
Even though I prefer the electronic version on the phone, as I can look up stuff while resting in a coffee shop or motel room.
The glove box is designed to fit your credit cards and your road side membership card.
There is also space under the rear seat, in front of the taillight, but not much room for tools.

+1

Looked at the manual site and found this.
R 1200 RT - 0368
R 1200 RT - 0388
R 1200 RT - 0430
R 1200 RT - 0440
What the heck does this mean? How do I determine which one to download?

Looked at the manual site and found this.
R 1200 RT - 0368
R 1200 RT - 0388
R 1200 RT - 0430
R 1200 RT - 0440
What the heck does this mean? How do I determine which one to download?

Look at characters 4-7 of your VIN. Should match one of the options.

Back