• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Member with gas leaks!

sambler

Good Morning All!

I'm a long-time BMW car guy and just bought my first Beemer, a 2006 R1200RT. She is a cream puff with only 11,000 miles and not a scratch on her.

On my first rides getting used to the bike, it appears we have developed the dreaded Pump Flange Quick Connect problems. I'm completely jazzed to ride from Oklahoma to the Rally in Lebanon in a couple weeks so I need to get the leaks fixed fast!

I will do my own wrenching, but wonder about the best/fastest place to get parts. Any help will be appreciated.

See you in TN, one way or the other!

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about the issues so near to making your trip. Do you know if the bike has had the flange recall taken care of? Here's a link to the Canadian recall notice:

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&rn=2013442

There is a US site but it appears to be overloaded or something at the moment:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM448315/RCAK-13V617-1263.pdf

It's recall number 13V617000...you might try entering your info into the US site.

Where are you in Oklahoma? Have you run this by your nearest dealer, or at least called them on the phone?

it appears we have developed the dreaded Pump Flange Quick Connect problems.

I will do my own wrenching, but wonder about the best/fastest place to get parts. Any help will be appreciated.

If it's the fuel pump flange you need to get that from a dealer, but it should be covered by the recall.
If the male end of the fuel disconnect is cracked you can buy those parts from Beemerboneyard.
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdisconr12.html

Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to learning from this group. I found this issue last night, during a great ride. Have just been researching this morning and the fix doesn't look too bad if I can get the parts. Also sounds like the mothership has elected to reinforce the parts rather than just replace the parts and fix the issue.

I'm in Bartlesville, OK. 35 miles north of Tulsa. The only shop around is 3.5 hours away and they are backed up for several weeks. I actually prefer to take care of things like this myself, so I'm on the hunt!

Let us know if the link Lee provided solves the problem and gets you back on the road!

Also sounds like the mothership has elected to reinforce the parts rather than just replace the parts and fix the issue.

If there was no cracks, shops would add the metal reinforcement ring.
In some case the flange along with the fuel pump was replaced under the recall.

Out of curiosity you could call a shop and ask them to run your VIN to see if the recall has been done.
Good luck.

I nominate the "sambler"...

... as The #1 BEST introductory New Member title entry for 2019!

Fantastic eye catcher: New Member with gas leaks!

Get that man a can of FLEX SEAL (I'd try three applications with full cure) so he can make Lebanon; we'll fix it more better there. (Airhead Central challenge?)

Glad to have you aboard... and wishing you an easy fix.

"travel'n" John

Thanks, John

I'm afraid I am past the FLEX SEAL stage. I have gas pouring out of the fairing...a stream, not drips. I'm confident I'll be riding as long as I can get the parts in time. Shouldn't be a problem, just impatiently awaiting Beemer Boneyard to open.

Looking forward to learning a thing or 100 at Airhead Central!

Don't forget if the fuel pump flange is cracked, it will require a new fuel pump to fix the leak.
Keep your fingers crossed it's just one of the fuel line connectors.

Just a warning if the flange is good and you go with the BBY metal fittings.
Use the paste, hand tighten the tank side fitting and do not over tighten with a wrench on the flats.
Early on, this caused some issues as the cracks in flange spread before the reinforcement ring was available.
Metal threads in a plastic fitting...be careful!

I would still call the dealer to run that VIN as suggested. We had six models with issue and four got complete assembly replaced.

Morning update guys,

I called to find out about the recall. The bike did have the recall service in 2015. This is evidenced by the reinforcing ring around the female quick-connect.

Then I emailed Beemer Boneyard about the metal quick connect kit. They called me early this morning and walked me through the kit and the process. They have a variety of shipping options, so I'm sure I can get up and running by the weekend. Beemer Boneyard is Da Bomb right now!

It is awesome to have you guys as resources. I look forward to returning the favor!

Last edited:
Less than 48 hours and the parts are in my hand. New Jersey to Oklahoma.

Beemer Boneyard rocks! (USPS did a pretty good job as well.)

Final Update:

Bike is back on the road 5 days after my first post (including a weekend and two days of postage.) Thanks to each of you guys. See you in Tennessee!

Final Update:

Bike is back on the road 5 days after my first post (including a weekend and two days of postage.) Thanks to each of you guys. See you in Tennessee!

Good to hear :thumb
Was the male end that snaps into the fuel pump flange cracked?

It does not feel cracked, but when I got the Tupperware off and started the bike, there was a fountain of gas coming from that fitting. The new fittings (I did the other line as well) solved the problem. 100 miles this morning and all is well.

Back