• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1977 R100/7 Key Information Needed

vantablack

Hey guys, I posted a question a few weeks back about wheel information and got some great information and feedback. I'm hoping I can find something similar once again.

I inhereted a 1977 BMW R100/7. At some point during the 80s, it got put down into a gravel pile on the highway. It has since had a bunch of undocumented work that may or may not be correct.

The bike came with two of the small folding grey Nieman keys, like this:

key5.jpg

These both work in the ignition to start the bike, but neither of them work in the fork lock, seat lock, or gas cap.

I also found one of these keys:

keyfold2.jpg

It did not work in the ignition. And rather foolishly, I did not try it on the other items (nor can I at the moment because it's in the shop getting new wheels).

Given this information, I have some questions:

1. Is this the normal key set-up? I did a search on this forum (no doubt incorrectly) and elsewhere online and wasn't able to find much information on key sets.
2. The mechanic (Craig Immel) said that I could get a replacement key set as a kit for the bike but that he had not done one in years. Is this a reasonable bit of work to pursue? Where are these kits and how much do they cost? I have not been able to find a full kit, only blank keys.

My goal for the bike is to be able to use it for long distance travel, so being able to have those locks is more important than I think they would be for the average rider. Theoretically the bike is known to be comfortable and reliable and should be an excellent traveler.

Thank you all for any direction or advice you may offer.

Last edited:
My '78 R100/7 didn't come with a key that looks like either of those...not to say they couldn't be correct, but I think they're replacements. I'm second owner on my bike, so who knows...my key could be a replacement. My key works all three items. So, it makes sense that yours, at least one of them, is a replacement.

If you find that the two keys you have works one or more of the locks, I think you could just move forward with that. I don't see a need to get one key to do all items. As for a "kit", I think you could find a locksmith to make up a key that solves your problems.

Snowbum has some good info on keys:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/locks-caps-etc.htm

My key is a Taylor key with the "073R" stamped on it.

The top keys looks similar to my 74 R90S ignition key. ( Maybe its a /6 key?)
Maybe someone did a swap at some stage?

Steve

At some point in the 70's those folding keys became available. The ignition and seat locks had an identical key from the factory but ignition switches and seal locks get worn out and people change them. If you don't have a good locksmith or know how to file the tumblers to make on key work in both locks you end up with two keys.

Then there is the steering head lock which is always a fun time... they should also have the same key but often don't.

Then there is the steering head lock which is always a fun time... they should also have the same key but often don't.

In 900,000 miles of riding I have only used a fork lock twice. They are an instrument of the Devil and are not to be trusted not to be a problem under almost all circumstances. :banghead :)

Fork lock

I agree with Paul 100% in regard to the fork lock. I tried mine twice and swore at it and never again to use it.

I have been lucky with my locks on my R80RT as I have always had the same key for it. Of course the gas cap lock quit working years ago fortunately in the unlocked mode.

My friend just purchased a 79R100RT with five keys! One for each of the fairing storage compartments one for the ignition. One for the seat lock and one for the gas cap.

I cannot speak for him as what he is going to do regarding this mess. It is his bike.

Am I mistaken in that a locksmith who knows what they are doing may well be able to convert the locks to one key? Or, will my friend have to look for a lock set from a bike breaker?

It is bad enough to have an ignition key a key for the saddle bag latches and a further key for the saddle bag mounting brackets.

Oh, maybe if I bought a new bike I would get one key or keyless! NO Way, I love my odd old airheads too much to convert to the dark side. St.

Can someone explain to me why the fork lock is problematic? I haven't been able to use it yet.

I can investigate local locksmiths next, we have a few in the area that are very good. However, I'm not sure how anyone can make a key for 3 locks that currently have none to copy.

Can someone explain to me why the fork lock is problematic? I haven't been able to use it yet.

Fork locks are so bad- most all bikes come with them :scratch
I would have to guess that some don’t like them as to the danger of not disengaging the device before you head out for a ride. Same basic problem with disc-locks, chains and other mobility disabling devices.
It’s operator error, not the lock.

I can investigate local locksmiths next, we have a few in the area that are very good. However, I'm not sure how anyone can make a key for 3 locks that currently have none to copy.

There is a number of ways to make a key for a lock without a key to copy. It’s kinda a lost art but can be done. Depending on the situation, a good locksmith will advise you of the most efficient way to get you re-keyed. Part of the decision will be based on parts availability, which cylinders are in the best shape and so on.
Good luck.
OM

I'm like the others...I can't even remember the last time I used the fork lock. Whenever I park the bike for any length of time when on the road, etc., the bike is on the centerstand...and I don't have the stock stand anymore. So, turning the fork to one side to use the lock is difficult. The lock and mechanism can get dirty and greasy on the inside, making the functionality difficult. That's my guess why they're no fun.

I would think any locksmith can make a key without having something to copy. They should be able to "read" the ridges and valleys required for the lock and then they can figure out the longitudinal slots on the blank. With their expertise, should be a piece of cake.

Locksmith

Like all things, finding a GOOD locksmith or a GREAT locksmith is difficult.

Yes, you can look on the internet or google all kinds of them in a large city.

In my city of Rochester NY, I had a heck of a time finding a locksmith to just make a key for my R80RT and my R100RS. Of course, once I did business with him, the Rankin curse kicked in and he went out of business.

While looking for someone to just make a key, I found most locksmiths work on home or non vehicle related locks. I ran into some dumb asses and crooks before I found the guy I worked with.

Now this was a few years ago and I for the life of me cannot remember the dumb asses or crook's names so I cannot tell you riders in the Rochester Area whom to avoid. Sorry, teflon memory. St.

This has all been fantastically useful information. I'll see what I can do in terms of reaching out to a locksmith.

I shoul be getting my bike back within a week or so if I had to guess. Will report on findings once I have anything.

Which key is the "correct" one for this bike? I take it, the black one?

Black folding key

I bought folding style keys (in this question post, the black folding one) only a year or so ago. They are on the market along with traditional flat blanks as well.

Teflon memory prevents me from telling the source of the folding key blanks. It may have been Motobins.

Be forewarned there are a lot of locksmiths who cannot properly cut the folding keys. Again, in the Rochester, NY area, I cannot recall who cut mine.

If had been smart, I would have kept the receipt. St.

So it's been a week and I have the bike back. Here's what I have found:

- The black folding key DOES work for the ignition, I just didn't have it folded and inserted all the way.
- It does not work for the other 3 locks, similar to the other 2 keys.
- The "kit" is not actually a dedicated kit, but rather the idea of ordering every part individually. Here is the parts list.

dbvis-2642971717434124610.jpg

I think it may be as straightforward (and painful) as buying all of it and having someone install it correctly. But I am thinking that there must be some way to "set" each lock to an existing key, else it would make no sense to only replace them individually. I will be reaching out to the parts dealers for further information first, and then trying the locksmith idea second if that doesn't work out. That said, I only have 2 days to work with for now; I am leaving the country for a few weeks on Wednesday. I apologize to the moderation team in advance.

As an aside, one of the two engine badges is coming loose. Does anyone have any recommendations to fix it back to the engine?

Keys to happiness?

About ten years ago purchased some keys and locks for a /5 directly from Nieman. I don't know if its still possible.

Just last week requested some new keys for a '76/6, & '92 R100GSPD from BMW.

The dealer said the existing keys were too worn to be able to make reliable copies with their equipment, that they could submit a request for brand new keys if provided the VIN #s.

They weren't positive it could be done, I have not heard back from them yet.

I hope to find out this week and will post when I do.

The Taylor B69K blank is brass and if still available works on both Airheads. Nieman keys are steel.

The lack of a great locksmith is a problem I don't have, with 12 MILLON people living here you've got to lock everything. There is a third generation Lock & Key shop nearby.

:5 & 6 keys.jpg

I have always used fork locks & only had 1 problem, it was self inflicted. I used a non folding key to unlock the forks to move a /7, left the key in on purpose (mistake #1), when moving the bike back to its original spot turned the bars opposite lock when I didn't need to (mistake #2) and broke the key flush. I tried taking it out myself, then to the local locksmith. It took him less than 5 seconds to remove it.

Bill
It’s been 11 days and the dealer hasn’t heard back from Motorad. I haven’t given up hope yet.

Last edited:
Just last week requested some new keys for a '76/6, & '92 R100GSPD from BMW.

The dealer said the existing keys were too worn to be able to make reliable copies with their equipment, that they could submit a request for brand new keys if provided the VIN #s.

They weren't positive it could be done, I have not heard back from them yet.

I hope to find out this week and will post when I do.

No go on new cut keys from BMW for the /6, R100GSPD, & K1100.
Bill

All keyed up

There are a few scenarios that i can think of concerning your bike. The best case one is that the original ignition switch failed and was replaced. Then the original keys that fit all the locks were lost. So if you're lucky, you can take the seat lock out, take it to a competent locksmith and have a key made, and have it fit the fork and gas cap.
I agree with a previous post and do not lock my forks but not for the previous stated reason. I once left the key in the lock in the unlocked position and then snapped it off by turning the handlebars! I also don't lock the gas cap and rarely lock the seat.

Back