• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dyna III Ignition - R100/7

tlangman4

Hi All-

My recently purchased R100/7 project currently has a Dyna III ignition system, which seems to work well at this point. I have no idea how long it has been on the bike, however total mileage is 29k and supposedly verified.

Has the Dyna ignition system proven to be reliable with a long history of service? I am interested in the Wedgetail and may purchase one at some point, but thinking about keeping this system at least for a while.

Thanks for any feedback regarding the reliability of the Dyna III.

Tom

I've had the Dyna III system on my /7 since the early 1980s, right after I bought the bike. I have 100K on the bike and probably 85K on the system. I did have to replace the system (well, really just the part that replaces the condenser and points) a number of years back...I had lost one of the pickup sensors. One of the weak points is that the plate that replaces the original points plate can lose contact with the engine case with corrosion. I didn't realize that when I had the issue and replaced the unit instead...I suppose if I had known, I could have cleaned up the contact surfaces and things might have been OK. The original points plate with points and condenser are wrapped up and stored on the bike if it should happen again.

Here's another thread from a number of years ago:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...ll-electronic-ignition-for-R90-6-a-good-thing

You can find other threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen as well as use the Tag Cloud below to search for "Dyna III".

Dyna

I had the Dyna ignition on my 78 RS for quite awhile and it worked adequately. I did change it over to the Wedgetail system and with that change was a noticeable improvement in cold start and performance. I can't give you any kind of long term report on the Wedgetail as I only had 5K miles on it when I totaled the bike.

The Dyna system is much better than points but now with the new technology I would not hesitate to install a Wedgetail system again. St.

I've had the Dyna III system on my /7 since the early 1980s, right after I bought the bike. I have 100K on the bike and probably 85K on the system. I did have to replace the system (well, really just the part that replaces the condenser and points) a number of years back...I had lost one of the pickup sensors. One of the weak points is that the plate that replaces the original points plate can lose contact with the engine case with corrosion. I didn't realize that when I had the issue and replaced the unit instead...I suppose if I had known, I could have cleaned up the contact surfaces and things might have been OK. The original points plate with points and condenser are wrapped up and stored on the bike if it should happen again.

Here's another thread from a number of years ago:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...ll-electronic-ignition-for-R90-6-a-good-thing

You can find other threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen as well as use the Tag Cloud below to search for "Dyna III".

Thank you, Kurt! This is all very helpful information!

I had the Dyna ignition on my 78 RS for quite awhile and it worked adequately. I did change it over to the Wedgetail system and with that change was a noticeable improvement in cold start and performance. I can't give you any kind of long term report on the Wedgetail as I only had 5K miles on it when I totaled the bike.

The Dyna system is much better than points but now with the new technology I would not hesitate to install a Wedgetail system again. St.

Hi Steven-

Interesting comments, thanks! Seems you put it very succinctly and I would agree. It appears that as long as the advance unit is in decent condition I could expect the Dyna to function adequately. I like what you said about the Wedgetail, too. There is one in the coming months along with an Enduralast charging system. That is, as soon as I pay for the upgrades to the brakes, forks, other electrical, etc. it gets a bit expensive, but I dearly love these airheads. I actually sold a modern Honda to get back to these great old bikes.

No, Dyna III doesn’t hold up. I’ve only had mine for forty-six years, 170,000 miles without a problem. I’m sure there’s something better😊.

Someone gave me a Dyna and I've since had it on two bikes for about 30K miles plus whatever it did before.

It's a 'single fire' version that requires 12V coils wired in parallel instead of 6V coils wired in series. On my /6 I used 12V coils from old VWs for the single spark plugs. They fit the stock coil brackets perfectly.

My /7 is dual-plugged so now it's set up with Dyna dual-output coils.

That sounds like carrying a set of carburetors in case of a fuel injection system failure.:blush

Well, some of us carry the old parts in case another rider needs it.

In the past, my spare alternator rotor, points plate, advance unit and even some Dellorto parts were shared out to fellow riders in need.

Well, some of us carry the old parts in case another rider needs it.

In the past, my spare alternator rotor, points plate, advance unit and even some Dellorto parts were shared out to fellow riders in need.

I still have an Airhead rotor that has been on at least four bikes that had rotor failures on the road or at or near rallies. I would loan it to the rider and then in a few days it would come back in the mail. I carried it for a few years in my '86 K75T just in case I ran into somebody who needed to borrow it. I still sometimes carry fuel line disconnects for the same purpose.

Back