• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I have a craigslist addiction (for motorcycles that is) . . .

I look at craigslist for bikes 2-3 times a day. Now, this doesn't take up much of my time, maybe 15 minutes each time, and I am retired. But I do it every day. I look for motorcycles in the three metro areas around where I live. Not only do I find bikes to buy but sometimes it's great entertainment. At times it takes a lot of willpower to keep from sending a snarky comment to sellers. I also look at CycleTrader but it doesn't have one tenth the activity.

Anyone else have this habit?

I definitely share your affliction. Thankfully, a lack of garage space saves me from myself. :)

This really isn't specific to craigslist, but have you ever noticed that it's always the previous owner that the seller will blame for all the bad things:

"It was dropped by the previous owner."
"The previous owner had the horrible paint job done."
"The previous owner left it out in the rain for 10 years."

Last edited:
I have CL for "motorcycles" under one of my favorites tabs. Once I view the daily listings on bikes, I change categories to "cars & trucks," "heavy equipment," "sporting," and "tools" to round out my mindless entertainment. I do not plan on buying any, but I do like seeing what is out there. You never know.

I did, however, add fleabay to my surfing ritual. I even went as far as selecting the R1200RT model with regularity (I knew I would eventually get an RT.) I was amazed, at times, of the extremely low mileage auctions that showed up every now and then. I mean 300 to 700 miles low. WHY? *shaking my head* Some were practically brand new.

Sometimes I come across a listing for an R1200C and want to correct the seller on their incorrect wording in the description. Semantics, I know. :banghead

About six months ago I came across an ad for an H-D -- it was the owner's girlfriend trying to sell his bike while he was in jail. She said she had a notarized title and the price was very cheap and she wanted it out of her garage immediately. I think it would have been an unhealthy mistake to answer that one, even if it wasn't a scam.

Speaking of scams, sometimes when I'm bored I'll answer (via e-mail) an obvious scam motorcycle ad, play dumb, and string the "seller" along for a day or two till they finally get wise that I'm screwin' with 'em.

I recommend you avoid SearchTempest which will give you access to all of the CL ads in an area size of your choice. It can get expensive.

Unless you have self control..:brad

search tempest

Oh, I have used that too. (HA) I went through a phase when I was on the prowl for an 85 Kawasaki 700 LTD, which I used to own. Nostalgia, I guess.

Last edited:
I have a similar addiction as the OP. Here in Canada I use Kijiji, (similar to Craig's List) and almost daily look at bike trailers for sale. I'm not in the market for one, as I bought one in 2014, but rather to continue to congratulate myself for having snapped up a good buy. I have yet to find a better value for the money that I spent. :thumb

Just recently stopped the regular CL visits. The sad (not really so sad)thing is we do have room and have found several buys thru the years. It's fun to see what's out there.
On the bad side, the same 1150 GS was on several cities site years ago as being a local bike, but currently overseas...and was def a scam a waiting

But, now that this came up...:whistle

Have seen several angry partner or needing bail money deals...one guy was in MX jail and a bud of ours bought the pirated 11GS from girlfriend that made it back to San Antone where I picked it up for him was the story. He should have been in jail for what he did to that poor GS...hope it worked out for him.

Cape cod craigslist motorcycles has 3 BMWs at the bottom of page one. 1972 R60/5, 1974 R75/6, 1976 60/6 all three for $5750

We used to have "The Want Advertiser". It was a local publication that sort of fell out of business in around 2008. It was $00.19 cents when I first saw it :gerg and it was up to around $1.79 at the end. They charged a percentage commission, on the honor system, paid when you item was sold........Of course then came Craig's list. This publication was enormously popular for those that didn't really want to buy anything. Some that were "regular" shoppers would go to Sudbury MA to get the publication "hot off the press".
I guess it's the digital vs print deal that finished things off. There is still The Truck and Equipment Trader that is free and charges for listings. I pick one on up when I see them to see what things are worth and how the industry has changed.
OM

Back