• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 K1200S spline lube

bige1340

How often is a spline lube required on a 2005 K1200S ? Is it required to lube both the ends of the drive shaft ? ( engine side and final drive side )

I have a 2009 K1300GT and I change final drive fluid and lube the splines every time I do an oil change (every 6K miles).

Just the final drive end. I believe there is more movement on that end.

The front end is clipped to prevent movement. Cushioning and corrosion prevention is all that is needed there. Say lubricate every 50,000 miles or so.

The front end is clipped to prevent movement. Cushioning and corrosion prevention is all that is needed there.

I don't think mine has the circlip on the transmission side. there is a little bit of movement when I drop the final drive. The instructions say to take a screwdriver and pry off the joint to keep the shaft from moving.

Attachments

• B0004464.png
    B0004464.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 78
I believe BMW’s recommendation is to replace the final drive fluid every 12,000 miles (or every two years). Cleaning and lubing the splines can easily be done during fluid change. The front splines should be done as well as the rear. For the front, rather than pulling the drive shaft completely off the transmission shaft, which can be a little tricky to get back on, simply pull back the front of the boot an inch and then slide the drive shaft back about an inch, being careful not to let it fall off the transmission output shaft. Then use a small acid brush to clean the splines and then apply the lube.

There has been a lot of discussion here and at the K bike website (i-bmw.com) about the type lube to use for the splines. The service DVD for the k1300s (and other k bikes) specifies "Optimoly TA", aka Castrol Optimol Paste TA. (This is actually an anti-seize product rather than a typical lubricant, but I am not an expert in this area). For those that have tried to buy this product you know that it is virtually impossible to find. Part of the reason is because in 2015 the name was changed to Molub-Alloy Paste TA. Before purchasing some of this I checked the specifications and they are identical, at least identical for the attributes listed. I got some Molub-Alloy Paste TA from the Suncoast Porsche dealership in California.

In my search for the right product I called Max, Morton's, Bob's, and my local dealership. Only my local dealership uses Molub-Alloy Paste TA. Max's uses Honda Moly and the others use different products. Needless to say I found it curious that these major dealerships were not using the specified product. So the conclusion for me was that there are other products that provide the same function. After all, BMW dealerships are not going to risk their reputation and their insurance to use a poor product.

Hope this helps.

The front splines should be done as well as the rear. For the front, rather than pulling the drive shaft completely off the transmission shaft, which can be a little tricky to get back on, simply pull back the front of the boot an inch and then slide the drive shaft back about an inch, being careful not to let it fall off the transmission output shaft. Then use a small acid brush to clean the splines and then apply the lube.

That's how I did our K1300Ss.
I was able to order the Optimol Paste from MAX BMW, but that was probably 4 or 5 years ago.
I need to do the splines on our R1200RSs this spring.

Optimol Paste TA.JPG

Yes, radiofun1, the OEM RepRom calls for three services - 6k miles (10k km), 12k miles (20k km) and 18k miles (30k km).

The 18k service is the "complete" service - oils, lubricants, filters, plugs, valve check, etc.

On the early Wedge K bikes you had to drop the rear drive to drain it. Perfect time to put some lube (of your choice) on the splines.

Also, to help keep the rear boot watertight, I always smeared some white lithium grease on the boot.

Interesting that the bolt and nut holding the torque arm to the rear drive are listed as one time use pieces.

I must have reused that bolt and nut 15 times before I got an updated rear drive that had an actual drain plug.

Back