• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bluetooth Module for Integrated Audio

desmoderek

MotoDruid
Does anyone have any recommendations for a basic Bluetooth receiver (without a mic.) to plug into the USB and Audio jack in the right glove box on the RT?
I'd like to connect my iPhone to it in order to stream music through Pandora. Why do I want to do this? Lately, there seems to be a compatibility issue between my Sena 10U, Nav 5 and iPhone when listening to Pandora. - It won't switch back to the media channel after getting navigation instructions.

Equipment:
Sena 10U for Schuberth, Nav 5, iPhone 6.
Previously I used to connect as follows:
Sena connected to Nav 5 as Phone 1.
iPhone connected to Nav 5 (This gives me the ability to get navigation instructions and make/receive phone calls).
iPhone connected to Sena as Phone 2. (This gives me the ability to listen to music on the iPhone).

What I'd like to do is connect the Sena to the BMW Audio System to stream music through a module for the iPhone, or a USB stick, but I would need to lose the second phone connection to the Sena to do this. I also want to keep the phone on my person, and not plug it in to a craddle on the bike.

... Lately, there seems to be a compatibility issue between my Sena 10U, Nav 5 and iPhone when listening to Pandora. - It won't switch back to the media channel after getting navigation instructions...

I have basically the same setup with a Schuberth/Sena SC10U. And have similar problems from time to time. I don't use Pandora, rather I use my phone as an mp3 player, and load my music on the phone.

I once had a Pandora subscription that I used to stream music on my home network. But I found that it would periodically stop playing and would need to be restarted. So, my first observation is that the problem might be Pandora, and not your hardware. Second, when I have a similar issue on my moto, I can always restart by cycling power on my headset and/or the audio unit on the bike. A PITA while moving, but doable.

So, I would encourage you to play around with other music sources with the goal of isolating the problem. I find that music resumes reliably if the interruption is short. But, if I have a long conversation over the Sena intercom with my riding buddies, then quite often the music shuts off. I have attributed this to a time-out function in my media player rather than something related to the hardware. YMMV

Cap

I have basically the same setup with a Schuberth/Sena SC10U. And have similar problems from time to time. I don't use Pandora, rather I use my phone as an mp3 player, and load my music on the phone.
So, I would encourage you to play around with other music sources with the goal of isolating the problem. I find that music resumes reliably if the interruption is short. But, if I have a long conversation over the Sena intercom with my riding buddies, then quite often the music shuts off. I have attributed this to a time-out function in my media player rather than something related to the hardware. YMMV

Cap

Thanks, for the comment. I have similar experiences, however, the repetitive nature of the occurrences with Pandora vs stored music on the iPhone leads me to believe it's the pause function of Pandora. I was hoping to rectify the situation by adding an extra device inline that would still let Pandora play, while the BMW audio was overridden by the Nav 5.

Perhaps there is a better way, and my understanding of the prioritization used in the Sena unit is erroneous?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a basic Bluetooth receiver (without a mic.) to plug into the USB and Audio jack in the right glove box on the RT?
I'd like to connect my iPhone to it in order to stream music through Pandora. Why do I want to do this? Lately, there seems to be a compatibility issue between my Sena 10U, Nav 5 and iPhone when listening to Pandora. - It won't switch back to the media channel after getting navigation instructions.
One of my automobiles is a BMW 335i. It has a Bovee Tune2Air that plugs into the device connections in the car and enables me to connect my iPhone to the sound system via Bluetooth. It works flawlessly. The connections are the same as on my ‘14 RT. I have not tried it on the RT, since I use the Schuberth Communicator for the same purpose, but it looks like it might work. I have often thought about trying it, but I hate to mess with things like that while they are working!

Back