• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

r1250 timing belt

jimbem

I read that the new engine will have a toothed belt instead of the one currently used. I hope someone smarter than me can help.does the new design weigh less and cause less parasitic power loss? Or is the new belt quieter? Or is the new belt cheaper? And i sure hope the answer to this question is NO.Will the the toothed belt last longer and not need to be replaced. I have alot of miles on my 2015 RT and am hoping I never need to have it's timing chain replaced.I am positive someone out there will know the answers to my questions . Thanks in advance for your insight.

you guys are right . i mispoke .It is a toothed chain ,not a toothed belt. But that still doesn't answer my questions.What exactly are the benefits to the new style chain? Or did BMW make the change only to cut costs?

reading then info Paul supplied it sounds like the change was made to make the motor quieter. Which chain should we expect to last longer though?

Good question.
Hi-vo chains are typical in automotive engines and Japanese brands, roller chains are not the norm. On the other hand Harley used Hi-vo chains in the early Twin Cams and in 2006-2007 went to roller chain for the cam drive.

Quieter

reading then info Paul supplied it sounds like the change was made to make the motor quieter. Which chain should we expect to last longer though?

I'm not an expert, but I understand that the EU now has regulations limiting the operating sound levels of all motor vehicles (including motorcycles). This is not a "noisy exhaust" issue, they require the engine noise, tire noise, etc. to add up to no more than some set level of noise. Various motorcycle manufacturers are making changes to their engine designs, etc to meet the regulations. I believe KTM changed their valvetrain on some of their bikes to meet the regulation. I presume BMW has to do the same.

I expect that the new chain is more expensive, but quieter - I doubt if it is much different in expected lifetime, but maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

There is no reason that I can discern why a cam chain should limit the life of an engine. If a cam chain can't outlast the valves and the rings it would be a mechanical travesty.

Last edited:
on that I can discern There is no reason that I can discern why a cam chain should limit the life of an engine. If a cam chain can't outlast the valves and the rings it would be a mechanical travesty.

Which puts all airheads in that category. I have historically gotten 80K miles from heads, but by 50K miles the timing chain is eating its tensioner pad and introducing spark scatter. I'd point out that I am not a "run to failure" type of person. Airhead heads often fail by popping the head off an exhaust valve (with the obvious internal consequences). Trying to time your repair one day ahead of that event is like counting on a deathbed conversion to keep you out of hell.

cam chains

hivo cam chains run quieter and stretch less than conventional cam chains. Cam chain stretch retards cam timing from original specs. Not a big problem, typically cam chain tensioners give more problems than cam chains.

If a chain running in a well lubricated sealed chamber wears significantly then it is made of inferior materials. I took the oil/water pump and cam chain case off the front of my K75 to check for cam chain and tensioner wear twice. Once at about 60,000 miles and once at about 150,000 miles. Detecting no significant wear I ignored it until the bike was totalled at 370,000 miles. But classic K bikes are not Airheads.

timing chains

When I was a young auto mechanic in the 60's 70's, replacing a timing chain was a very common repair, often after jumping the sprockets.

When I was a young auto mechanic in the 60's 70's, replacing a timing chain was a very common repair, often after jumping the sprockets.

What I remember of timing chains "jumping", the cause was inferior materials in the cam sprocket. Often an aluminum sprocket with some sort of plastic over the teeth. The plastic would fail and the chain would jump. The chain itself would rarely fail, unless it had quite a few miles on the engine.

Also technology was gone leaps and bounds over the 60's and 70's, although sometimes when someone sees what some engineers come up with it makes you wonder!

What I remember of timing chains "jumping", the cause was inferior materials in the cam sprocket.

Honda many years ago pioneered the timing chain tensioner that disassembles itself causing the same outcome. Kawasaki got jealous and carried this design feature to the KLR650's balancer chain.

Back