• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R75/5 low bar dimensions

clegg

The handlebars on my R75 are ugly and I would like to swap to low or euro bars. The ones that I am finding seem to be 25-27" in width. My high bars measure 30 wide. Is the 25-27 width normal for the low bars? Any recommended sources? I know I need 22mm bars.

bars

With much deliberation, i have a set of super bike bars that are close to the euro dimensions. They are 7/8" and WILL work for the BMW perches. The best thing is i am not spending a ridiculous amount of money for 22mm bars.

So you can use 7/8" bars? I wasn't aware you could. Since they're bigger in diameter, that means you'll have to be careful not to stretch the stock perches so much as to crack them...I don't think they're made of the stoutest material.

My 35.5 cents worth

I have changed out the bars on my rider /6 with the /2 US replacement bars offered by Bench Mark Works. I have an early /5 with the Euro bars (short "S" type) and when any of the cables get troublesome I will go with the /2 US replacement handle bars without a second thought. The low "Euro" bars look good but they are not a good fit for handling and ergonomics and the stock '70> bars just plain suck as far as I'm concerned.

So you can use 7/8" bars? I wasn't aware you could. Since they're bigger in diameter, that means you'll have to be careful not to stretch the stock perches so much as to crack them...I don't think they're made of the stoutest material.

Installing the handlebar mounted controls will probably be an even bigger problem. Maybe not, but the one time I tried it the new bars went bye bye.

I had the same experience that Paul had. My /5 perches would open up enough to fit on 7/8" bars unless I omitted the wedges (of course then there was nothing to stop rotation). New bars went back.

7/8"Ø grips, no problem.

Back