• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

High mileage wethead spline lube

I have a 2105 GSA w/ 78,000 miles on the clock. Does anyone have experience with driveshaft spline lube service? I can not find any info from BMW regarding a service interval.

I have a 2105 GSA w/ 78,000 miles on the clock. Does anyone have experience with driveshaft spline lube service? I can not find any info from BMW regarding a service interval.

You've got a GSA 87 years before it was made? I don't think you thought this all the way through. If I had access to a time machine I would have started with next months mega-millions numbers THEN moved on to buying a nice motorcycle.

:)

There is no recommended service interval for the driveshaft splines. The BMW repair DVD does call for the splines to be lubed with Optimoly TA (an anti-seize assembly paste) during installation. Many folks use a 60% molybdenum paste instead. Since many splines have been found to come from the factory dry, it can not be critical. The lube is there to ease assembly and probably helps prevent surface rust. The design of the current paralever suspension is such that the splines do not slide as the swing arm moves up and down, unlike the early versions. At 78K, I'd probably clean and lube the splines "just because", but I've been known to wax the inside hex of allen bolts with a toothbrush. Searching YouTube for "r1200 final drive spline" will turn up several how-to videos.

Last edited:
Back