• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rain Gear Over BMW Tourshell

swall

I am in the market for some new rain gear and was looking for opinions about what rain gear will fit over the BMW Tourshell Jacket.

Given that the Tourshell is waterproof, I don't understand the need. Fitting the raingear over another jacket/suit is only a matter of sizing. I have an inexpensive Frog Toggs suit that I carry sometimes and it works well for occasional use. Maybe if it was cold rain, or I was expecting to be in heavy rain all day I might put it over a waterproof suit. The main use is to put it over my vented jacket (which obviously is not waterproof).

My wife and I both have had the BMW Tourshell jacket and pants for about 10 years now, with thousands of miles of use. One of the things that attracted me to the jacket in the first place was the fact it was waterproof so I didn't also need a rain suit. I can tell you it is COMPLETELY waterproof after having ridden in several all day downpours. It's nice to not be doing the "water dance jig" on the side of the road, trying to put on rain gear over your jacket/pants when that weather front you thought would miss you...doesn't.

I just have to disagree about Tour Shell being water proof. More like water resistant. In really heavy rain, water will come in, wicking in from the waist, arm cuffs and collar. This happened on a one hour ride back home this June in Indiana when I encountered a sudden heavy rain incident.

I just have to disagree about Tour Shell being water proof. More like water resistant. In really heavy rain, water will come in, wicking in from the waist, arm cuffs and collar. This happened on a one hour ride back home this June in Indiana when I encountered a sudden heavy rain incident.

Maybe the Comfort Shell pants and jacket (what it was called when we bought them) is constructed differently from the current Tour Shell. I can absolutely say I've ridden in many downpours (lived in Seattle until 3 years ago) and I've never gotten wet from wearing it. Sorry your experience has been different.

+1 on the Frog Toggs if you want a rain suit to put over your riding suit. Available at many outdoor retailers as well as on line.

Back