• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100RT Improvemnts and changes from Year to Year

oldcarman

Hi all. I'm ready to purchase a low mileage 1996 RT1100RT. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the year to year improvements or changes were from the first year in production to last, 1995 - 2001? Thanks,

jim

Two changes that immediately come to mind affect the 96 RT that you have. The early RT throttle cable setup was difficult to keep synchronized. The throttle went to the left side and then a short cable went from the left over the motor to the right throttle body. This got switched to the Bowden box with one cable from the throttle to the box and then two cables from the box, one to each side. The other issue was the transmission. Early bikes had the M94 gearbox, later on the M97 gearbox. The M94 developed problems shifting. The M97 tried to address this, but all these oilhead boxes are industrial shifting.

Hi all. I'm ready to purchase a low mileage 1996 RT1100RT. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the year to year improvements or changes were from the first year in production to last, 1995 - 2001? Thanks,

jim
Congratulations on your decision to purchase an RT. I wish I could offer you some insight on your 1100 but I own an '02 R1150RT, so I'm more familiar with the 2002-2005 model year bikes. The only advice I can offer is that you need to stay on top of your maintenance. As the old adage goes...."Hell hath no fury like a scorned woman." Well...the same applies to improperly maintained BMW's. I recommend buying a service manual and/or maintenance DVD such as what offered by Beemerboneyard.com for your bike. Beemerboneyard is also a great resource for affordable parts, accessories, etc. I've been riding 31 years and in that time, I've owned many different brands...Yamaha, Honda, and Harley-Davidson mostly and the only other BMW I've had, besides the one I have now was a '94 K75s. So this being my first bike with a Boxer engine, I had a rather steep learning curve after I bought it. The great news is there are a ton of helpful people on this forum who own or have owned an 1100/1150 and are willing to offer guidance and assistance when needed.

You can also find a ton of useful articles and maintenance manuals/procedures here:https://ibmwr.org/index.php/oilhead-r-bike-tech-articles/

Hope that at least gets you started in the right direction. Before long some of the other members will be along to offer you their advice. You've definitely come to the right place. Please post pics of your bike after you bring it home. We love pics!!

Back