• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Over heating

bobw

My 2017 R1200RT with 19,500 miles started overheating, all the water bars were in the red. Checked the water level and it was down maybe a inch and a half but I don't think that is enough to make it overheat into the red. The fan is working so I'm thinking the water pump. 100 miles to the dealer.

Bob

Will they come and get it without charging me the towing? I'll give them a call and see what my options are.
Bob

Treat it like its a breakdown. Call the BMW road service and have it towed to the nearest BMW dealer. If you can't drive it, its broke down.

Sounds like a water pump issue. The fact that the dealer is 100 miles away should not be an issue for you. BMW will come and get your bike and trailer it to the nearest dealer. Best of luck with a resolution.

After I called the dealer he reminded me that BMW will come and get the bike and haul it to the closest dealer. Am waiting for them to pick it up. I wonder if I should be thinking about buying more warranty?

Dealer called and said I had a hole in my right radiator. He said perhaps vapor lock is why I saw water in tank.
I looked in my manual and good not find how to tie it down. So I will have a new right radiator and stone protectors for both sides.

Dealer called and said I had a hole in my right radiator. He said perhaps vapor lock is why I saw water in tank.
I looked in my manual and good not find how to tie it down. So I will have a new right radiator and stone protectors for both sides.

Some radiator protectors will hinder airflow. Do a search here before you buy a set, there are some threads on that subject.

Dealer suggested and named what he would put on and of course I don't remember what it was. So hope he knows what he's taking about.

Radiator Guards

Bob - when you remember the recommended radiator guards, would you mind posting? Probably a good investment to make for the RT - thanks

The radiators on the RT are mostly protected, I think your stone hit is a rare situation. Anyone else heard of this happening to an RT before? Let's hear from some high mileage riders if they see damage to the radiator fins. I think you'll see some damage but nothing to worry about. I ride mostly chip and seal roads, 28,000 sMiles very little to no damaged fins. Is is worth restricting air flow?

Jay

R&G black guards.
I also ride mostly chip and seal roads but sometimes I do get on gravel for a few miles. If it hinders my cooling in this Texas 100 degree heat I will take them off, but I don't expect it will.

I'm even thinking about putting on a fender extender to keep all the trash off the front of the motor.

R&G black guards.
I also ride mostly chip and seal roads but sometimes I do get on gravel for a few miles. If it hinders my cooling in this Texas 100 degree heat I will take them off, but I don't expect it will.

I'm in Texas and use an R&G. There is zero difference in engine temp on the move or standing still with or without the guard.

I do what I can to prevent from being stranded on the side of the road, far from home.

Theory behind fender extenders was originally that front tire flips nails up to they’re in position to puncture your rear tire ... there sure are more rear punctures.

I know on other bikes I used to put a mud flap on the front fender and have it almost dragging the pavement to keep stuff off the rear tire. This extender will be used to keep crud off the front of the motor and I expect my radiator guards should protect them. Still waiting to get the bike back.

Back