• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tips and tricks to installing swing arm??

10drum

Greetings. I pulled the clutch actuator rod, to lube the felt seal. As usual things come apart a lot quicker and easier than they go back together. I fought that boot for quite awhile. It's back together, but theres has to be a quick(er) and easy(ier) way????

So you pulled the whole rod out...the long piece? I'm guessing you did this with the transmission still in the bike by pulling the rod out the back, hence pulling the swingarm? My experience is that's not the way to do it. I think it's much better to pull the rod out the front which means the transmission has to be out of the bike. I've found it virtually impossible to put the rod in from the back and get the felt to remain in place. If the rod/felt is put in from the front, the felt remains in place as the rod is moved into position.

Are you still working to get the swingarm back in place? Snowbum discusses the swingarm here:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/inputsplinesthrowout.htm

This requires a modified socket to fit inside the frame tubes. And also requires two versions of a torque wrench in order to get the preload right on the bearings.

So you pulled the whole rod out...the long piece? I'm guessing you did this with the transmission still in the bike by pulling the rod out the back, hence pulling the swingarm? My experience is that's not the way to do it. I think it's much better to pull the rod out the front which means the transmission has to be out of the bike. I've found it virtually impossible to put the rod in from the back and get the felt to remain in place. If the rod/felt is put in from the front, the felt remains in place as the rod is moved into position.

Are you still working to get the swingarm back in place? Snowbum discusses the swingarm here:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/inputsplinesthrowout.htm

This requires a modified socket to fit inside the frame tubes. And also requires two versions of a torque wrench in order to get the preload right on the bearings.

Yes, I pulled the whole rod out, yes the long piece. The felt was very dry and was sticking. I'm not sure if it will solve the problem of the quick (abrupt) clutch, but it seemed easier than pulling the gearbox, which I'll probably end up doing anyway. I did not have any trouble getting the rod with greased felt back in. The rod operates much smoother now. I can't see what difference which side the rod goes in from, unless there is a taper from the gearbox side??? Anyway, I was hoping for a trick to install the rubber boot, not a complete history, including everything snowbum has done in the form of in depth research as to what, why, and how, BMW decided to do what they've done for the last 65 years. I'd been happy with a "grease the mother before you slip the boot on". Yes, I modified a 27mm socket to fit the swing arm pivot pin(s) lock nuts. Then I centered the swing arm with the pins from each side, made sure the swing arm operated smooth, snugged the lock nuts with my ground down socket, then checked swing arm operation again. Why doesn't snowbum manufacture some different swing arm pivot pins and sell em? I'd buy em. Better yet, how bout we use some socket head cap screws to bolt the the u joint/drive shaft to the gear box? Hey, maybe I'll start a blog.

Sounds like the splines are dry and need some moly. Probably would have been a good time to pull the gearbox back a couple of inches and lube them while the swinging arm was out. Fingers crossed for you. Chunk.

Chunk, you're probably right. I really think Ill get to pull the gear box. I need the practice on the swing arm anyway. Thanks for making me think.

Back