• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 GS Ei driveshaft install

Texpaul

Lost again
I had recently begun to detect a growing vibration when riding my ’05 1200GS, especially at speed. The vibrations lead me to suspect that one of my u joints may be failing so when tune up time rolled around I pulled the driveshaft for inspection and sure enough my worst fears were realized. The bearing in the front yoke was very stiff and you could see where the shaft had been contacting the swing arm and the front yoke had begun to wallow on the output shaft. The drive housing damage was minimal and not worth the cost to replace the swing arm. There was no discernable output spline shaft damage but the same could not be said of the front yoke splines. They were too damaged to be reused so this meant that any hope of a rebuild with a replaceable U joint was out of the question and a search of multiple used bike sites reveled that there were no used 20 spline shafts to be had.

The last time I had bought a shaft from BMW they were running about $800 but to my amazement they were now up to $1100 plus. I guess that since the 20 spline shafts off the ’05 and ’06 models are in less demand BMW decided it could raise the prices. I had almost resigned myself to spending the big bucks when a friend told me the Ted Porter’s BeemerShop was now carrying a line of aftermarket drive shafts for the 20 spine 1200 models. A quick call confirmed their availability and a few days later I had a brand new Ei drive shaft, complete with rebuild able u-joints and replaceable dampeners, sitting in my garage.
both shafts full (640x478).jpg
A precursory examination shows that Ei used the same design as their R100 and K75/100 shafts, which Ted currently sells. As you can see from the picture there is a considerable difference in appearance between the two shafts. The Ei model is solid shaft whereas the BMW is a hollow shaft (I assume it is hollow based on the weight). Dimensionally they have the same length but the damper portion is 4mm larger in diameter and the damper section length is about 100mm shorter than the BMW unit. The remainder of the shaft is about 10mm smaller than the same portion of the BMW part. The extra 4mm on the dampener portion didn’t produce any clearance problems with the swing arm when it was installed. I don’t have a scale that can measure very small weight differences but I couldn’t feel a difference between the two. Playing the devil’s advocate one has to wonder if a hollow shaft tube is stronger than a solid shaft tube? Any engineers out there who want to tackle that question?

Installation of the unit was straightforward and no different than a stock component. There are numerous, and better, sources and tutorials on BMW drive shaft installation than I could do so I won’t go into all the details but did post a few install pics to give you the idea. For the purpose of this article, and due to other issues I was addressing, I have disassembled the swing arm but the install can be done with the swing arm mounted as well. Since everything was apart I took the opportunity to replace the swing arm boots front and rear. If you balk at the price BMW wants for these components note the Ei sells the same thing for less and those can be obtained thru Ted as well.
P1090873 (640x476) (2).jpgYolk compare 1 (2) (635x640).jpg
As you can see in the (fuzzy) picture the grease nipple on the u joint is already installed and angled in such a way that I believe you could lube the front joint by just pulling back the boot. Though I will note that the manufacturer claims the U joints are sealed and don’t have to be lubed. In addition there is a large clip holding the dampener section onto the shaft and if you remove that you get access to the dampener pads that are also replaceable. I didn’t see a kit for this particular shaft but assume it would be priced similar to rebuild kits for the existing models.

Currently the only offering Ei has for the 1200’s is the 20 spline shaft but I understand that they are working on a 22 spline model for the later model bikes.
I see this Ei offering as a viable alternative to BMW’s outrageously priced, often unreliable, stock offering. I am always happy to see the market place offering superior quality, and usually cheaper, replacement parts and I use them anytime they are available. If I were to purchase an older model hex head I think the first thing I would consider is replacing the stock shaft with the Ei offering, just for the peace of mind.

Immediately after installation and a short test ride, the bike was loaded and heading to the Big Bend area of Texas. On this trip, which totaled about 1400 miles, the shaft was put thru its paces on various roads including some four wheel drive Big Bend roads. So far everything is holding up well. My plan is to pull the shaft at the next oil change, inspect it and report back. But at this point I think Ted is offering a quality product at a substantial savings to those of us trying to keep an older hex head running for another couple hundred thousand miles.

Thanks Paul:thumb

Nice to have a choice for sure. Will consider that the next time we need one.

On second, but low mileage at the time, replacement on my 09GSA...which isn't so low on mileage now. Do have one to send for a rebuild, but keep putting it off:dunno

Had an Iron Butt buddy leave me another one last week he changed for proactive maintenance on his 13GSA...it also has a few milel (95K), but I will have it rebuilt for someone's use

The only person I knew of who did rebuilds was Bruno in Canada and he's dealing with cancer and , to my knowledge, not doing rebuilds anymore. May be someone else doing them that I'm not aware of. If so hope someone would post their info as you can never have too many options.

Back