• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harley-Davidson and the push to expand their riding academies

Without any malice, can anybody explain the utility of assless chaps, bean pot helmets, fake DOT stickers, handlebar tassles, off-road only pipes, wife beater black T shirts, ape hanger handlebars, or doo rags? Just curious.

Without any malice, can anybody explain the utility of assless chaps, bean pot helmets, fake DOT stickers, handlebar tassles, off-road only pipes, wife beater black T shirts, ape hanger handlebars, or doo rags? Just curious.

It seems that it is the way many HD riders accessorize and enjoy their motorcycle. Most of the brands seem to have developed accessories that have commonalities with that brand.
I would guess the chaps provide some protection without the heat of full pants.
I would guess the small helmets are to have a helmet where required- and not wanted.
The fake stickers- to continue to wear the small helmet.
Not sure on the “happy hands”. Just an accessory?
Loud pipes? I guess like the new Mustang car.
WB T-shirts- accessory especially when it has dealer name and location.
Handle bar change- personalization of bike.
Doo rag, like a silk helmet liner.
OM

Paul,

Obviously, you do not know how to look, or even be remotely cool, despite the fact that you and Voni are some of the most experienced, knowledgeable motorcycle riders in the world. :wave

"without any malice" perhaps, but I do detect a hint of scorn.
I love the diverse culture of motorcycling. I actually have different gear for which bike I'm riding- it just feels right. Trumpet, Harley, BMW. Please don't make me choose one over another. The only "choice" would be based on function, not "best"

It adds greatly to the effect you present on "Talk like a Pirate" day? :dunno

Without any malice, can anybody explain the utility of assless chaps

This actually makes sense for working cowboys who herd cattle - especially in areas with scrub brush. Maybe the GS guys should look to the HD crowd for use of these when riding single track through the bush.

The actual quote, printed in a letter to the editor of an HD oriented magazine was, "We (HD riders) dress like pirates but you (BMW riders) dress like armadillos."

If armadillos are armored for low speed, then I'm going to be armored for high speed.

If I had to explain it you wouldn't understand, you'd just walk away laughing.

At least those items aren't the mandatory equipment for the classes, but they are after the course is completed.:)

I’ve never had a conversation with a HD rider that ended with me disliking the guy. That includes a couple with Hells Angels and Outlaws. I’ve seen thousands on the road that pissed me off.

Nothing against HD riders or their bikes. HA's, Outlaws and other 1%'ers are a different matter. They are violent & ruthless members of criminal organizations who will exploit any opportunity to make money - narcotics, gun and human trafficking to name just a few. They are also smart enough that when flying colors in public they put their best PR image on for citizens. Don't be fooled by a friendly gas pump conversation.

Nothing sounds as sweet as a 5 liter Ford V8 with a Borla exhaust system. HD does not sound sweet, just ratty.

My Road King has the stock exhaust, but my 5 liter Mustang has a Roush axle back. A good friend has Borla. I went back and forth, Roush or Borla. Both sound sweet, especially going WOT above 3500 RPM. You're never to old to enjoy a nice exhaust sound.

I'm in the camp of "good for H-D" :thumb
Any training is good training, regardless of what bike they use. I have several Beemer buds who teach at H-D dealers...they don't care.

Also have ridden/owned other brands since learning how to shift and stop successfullyabout 45 years ago. The stereotypes for each owners group has its realities for many and always makes me chuckle. From the pirates, the power rangers,the turtles(armadillos), to the cigar chomping Winger headed to the DQ and don't forget the Vespa folks:laugh

Have followed enough BMW's with aftermarket exhausts to really chuckle at the loud pipes comments.Heck, the first GS Camhead with the exhaust flapper starting in my shop made me do a double take:scratch

I rode a K12S to Big Bend and the Alpine Artwalk a few years back and know I rattled a lot of eardrums with its slip-on.I came home an put a stock can back on...to loud for me,which also made me chuckle.

I have known some great folks on all brands as well as a few scoundrels on them as well. The real deal bad boys typically don't jump in at the gas pumps with witty banter..but when they do, I will participate. Yes, I know who's who.

It's just because H-D has excelled in branding and sales incentives for years...and peer pressure. I got back on motors because a gal pal told me to get off my tail feathers and live like I used to in High School after a divorce. I bought a H-D because it was what I needed at the moment. It allowed me to cross paths with another dual brand rider who introduced me
to another form of riding and travel and the rest of the story...we got married.

So, back to the OP...any training is good training:wave

I'm in the camp of "good for H-D" :thumb
Any training is good training, regardless of what bike they use. I have several Beemer buds who teach at H-D dealers...they don't care.

Also have ridden/owned other brands since learning how to shift and stop successfullyabout 45 years ago. The stereotypes for each owners group has its realities for many and always makes me chuckle. From the pirates, the power rangers,the turtles(armadillos), to the cigar chomping Winger headed to the DQ and don't forget the Vespa folks:laugh

Have followed enough BMW's with aftermarket exhausts to really chuckle at the loud pipes comments.Heck, the first GS Camhead with the exhaust flapper starting in my shop made me do a double take:scratch

I rode a K12S to Big Bend and the Alpine Artwalk a few years back and know I rattled a lot of eardrums with its slip-on.I came home an put a stock can back on...to loud for me,which also made me chuckle.

I have known some great folks on all brands as well as a few scoundrels on them as well. The real deal bad boys typically don't jump in at the gas pumps with witty banter..but when they do, I will participate. Yes, I know who's who.

It's just because H-D has excelled in branding and sales incentives for years...and peer pressure. I got back on motors because a gal pal told me to get off my tail feathers and live like I used to in High School after a divorce. I bought a H-D because it was what I needed at the moment. It allowed me to cross paths with another dual brand rider who introduced me
to another form of riding and travel and the rest of the story...we got married.

So, back to the OP...any training is good training:wave

sounds about right to me!!

Kinda all fits in. I don’t find many that dislike the rumble of a muscle car. On the other hand, some home brew straight pipes on a pseudo muscle car- Meh.
My F800 has a reasonable tone. It also backfires a bit- probably emissions.
:burnout
OM

Back