• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harley-Davidson Offers Free Riding Academy To All U.S. Military

Always a good move to train, and another good move P/R-wise...

But I find it questionable that they'd actually "teach" a newbie on a deck that is not only wet, but also moving with the waves... and is there Really enough room to teach them about hard braking, U-turns and Figure-8's... and I thought safety vests are required when riding on any military installation?

Always a good move to train, and another good move P/R-wise...

But I find it questionable that they'd actually "teach" a newbie on a deck that is not only wet, but also moving with the waves... and is there Really enough room to teach them about hard braking, U-turns and Figure-8's... and I thought safety vests are required when riding on any military installation?

I think you are referring to the shot of them training on the Yorktown. I believe the Yorktown is a decommissioned WWII carrier and is now a floating museum in the Charleston harbor. There is probably not much in the way of wave movement to be concerned about. Although the WWII era carriers had wooden flight decks, on every carrier I've been aboard the flight deck was covered with a very abrasive coating. It looks to me like the same has been done to the Yorktown so even in the rain the traction level would be good. Also, since the ship is decommissioned and under civilian control as a museum, the military rules on safety vests would not apply.

I also think the shots on the carrier deck were taken as a PR move and that the real classes are held elsewhere.

I also think the shots on the carrier deck were taken as a PR move and that the real classes are held elsewhere.

Where's the fun in that? Wouldn't it be a hit for the ages if a newby rider rode right off the end of the carrier deck? A scene right out of a Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner cartoon. :laugh

Where's the fun in that? Wouldn't it be a hit for the ages if a newby rider rode right off the end of the carrier deck? A scene right out of a Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner cartoon. :laugh

Well, as many instructors - wait, they're coaches now - can attest, that wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility. Lots of students run off of ranges or into perimeter fences, curb stops, or ditches.

I personally never had the courage to be an instructor.

I don't think the Yorktown has a catapult to launch aircraft. Too bad, launching a slow learner off the deck would provide some effective motivation.

All kidding aside, as a vet., I applaud HD for their offer. They are providing a great benefit to servicemen who may wish to try riding out. As stated, riding is therapy, and could help many PTS folks with a relief valve....

I was under the impression that motorcycle training is mandatory in the military for those who ride motorcycles on or off base. Currently, it's the MSF BRC course, which is the same as the H-D course from what I know. I also know Total Control (who recently took over the state program for California instead of MSF) has recently won the contract with the US Navy to provide training to their personnel.

I'm not sure if they have to pay for it out of pocket or not. If they do, then this could be a good encouragement to get people riding who didn't want to pay for the course.

HD is being very pragmatic about this. When I was teaching the HD Riders Edge courses I had the privilege of training multiple military classes and it was a lot of fun and appreciated by the troops, especially since I am an Army veteran.

The new Riding Academy program has changed the classroom portion and still uses the original riding course for now until instructors can get certified in the new range layout which is coming soon.

Make no mistake though, HD puts a lot of emphasis on promoting HD and its products to the point of somewhat aggravating a lot of students who have no intent of ever riding or purchasing HD iron.

Most military folks are into sport bikes, which is why the requirement for training before riding on base or to reserve meetings.

I was under the impression that motorcycle training is mandatory in the military for those who ride motorcycles on or off base. Currently, it's the MSF BRC course, which is the same as the H-D course from what I know. I also know Total Control (who recently took over the state program for California instead of MSF) has recently won the contract with the US Navy to provide training to their personnel.

I'm not sure if they have to pay for it out of pocket or not. If they do, then this could be a good encouragement to get people riding who didn't want to pay for the course.

Just a few comments from an 'instructor' who has taught a half dozen of the new MSF curriculum courses just last month alone, and will again this weekend:

Yes - training is mandatory for members of the military. My son is the Motorcycle Safety Officer for his BCT (Battalion Combat Team) at Ft. Carson (CO) and monitors any soldier operating a motorcycle to have the MSF BRC on record as a minimum. They are also required every couple of years to take a more advanced course (BRC2 {the old ERC}, ARC, UBBC, etc.). In addition to that, when returning from a deployment, they must again take an advanced course to demonstrate proficiency. He will have to this fall when he gets back from current duty in the Middle East. And 'yes' - he pays for that out of his own pocket, since the military didn't force him to own a bike.

MSF rolled out a completely new classroom curriculum and range footprint/exercises for 2015, resulting in about a 30% attrition of RiderCoaches. Time will tell if it's a better mousetrap - I have some concerns.

H-D rebadged from "Rider's Edge" to the "H-D Riding Academy." Uses the same new MSF format, but with a heavy dose of self-promotion for their product lines and dealership amenities - marketing strategy?!

A final comment on H-D. I enjoyed my Motor Officer time on H-D bikes (I actually have more miles ridden on H-D than the average Harley owner does in a lifetime), but chose not to own one - just didn't fit my riding needs/preferences. H-D and the bulk of their customer base have spent decades building and promoting their motorcycle sub-culture and lifestyle. Once you do that, it's not stereotyping - it's an earned reputation, and you have to expect to take a few shots from the sidelines from time to time. :dance

All good stuff to know, and thanks for the insights from all.

Of course they will promote their own products... including the black helmets/etc. that all except one appear to have... in a course about riding safety...

Can't speak for the other services, but Navy has for some years offered MSF BRC at no cost for Sailors...the base where I was the XO started these about 6 or 7 years ago & still does them. Advanced Rider and Sport Bike courses are likewise at no cost...and yes, all Sailors who ride on base must have a safety course completed.

Back