• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harley-Davidson's Milwaukee-Eight V-twin is brand's first new engine in 15 years

Oh, it's VERY different.

The boxer twin is a wonderful configuration for a motorcycle engine.

The 45-degree V-twin is simply the worst possible configuration. It means you're sitting on top of the rear cylinder and absorbing a good portion of the heat from the rear cylinder and of course that cylinder's exhaust pipe. And the front cylinder isn't far away. It means as well that the rear cylinder is shrouded from air cooling to a significant degree, meaning the entire engine must be detuned to compensate. This is essentially the only "inline" motorcycle engine left, save for some monstrosity from Triumph, (that's water cooled). And, of course, it's not so smooth, although the possibility of balancer shafts may exist. Not really relevant, but you'd have to turn the power 90 degrees to use shaft rear drive. This design gives the motorcycle a high center of gravity. Can you imagine a GS type bike with this engine?

The boxer twin, meanwhile, must be the ultimate design for keeping heat from the rider ... although when the heat is moved upwards via radiators/coolers a little less so. At smaller displacements it's nicely balanced and remains so at larger displacements with a balancer shaft. The longitudinal crankshaft is ideal for shaft rear drive. Nice low motorcycle center of gravity with this design.

HD is continuing with a poor design ... BMW with a great design. That's a difference.

Wrong ! There is no difference. H/D built what they wanted to build, which built a following to [their] brand, which created sales & still does.

BMW built what they wanted to build , which built a following to [their] brand , which created sales & still does.

If a person prefers one over the other ? that does not make the other wrong....Each doing / building what they thought a motorcycle engine should be...same , same.

"HD is continuing with a poor design ... BMW with a great design. "

That is your opinion...it does not make it so.....That's a difference.

Looks like HD is joining the twin-plug club with this engine. That will cause a stir at the first tune ups.

4 spark plugs???

Hd

84 was the first year of the Evolution.
I had a 99 that was the twin cam, put 45k on it sold it in 04 for 12k, paid $12,200 new.
Bought a new Ultra in 04, put 40k on it, recently sold it and bought a K1600GTL, love the bike so far.
Hope I get the trouble free mileage like I did on the Harley.
Completely different bikes, can't beat the power and smoothness of the 1600 but I do miss the belt drive.
Had several 700 mile days on the HD, non on the 1600 yet but I don't think it will be an issue.
Builder

84 was the first year of the Evolution.
I had a 99 that was the twin cam, put 45k on it sold it in 04 for 12k, paid $12,200 new.
Bought a new Ultra in 04, put 40k on it, recently sold it and bought a K1600GTL, love the bike so far.
Hope I get the trouble free mileage like I did on the Harley.
Completely different bikes, can't beat the power and smoothness of the 1600 but I do miss the belt drive.
Had several 700 mile days on the HD, non on the 1600 yet but I don't think it will be an issue.
Builder

What do you miss about the belt drive?

Belt drive

Thanks Gary.
The belt drive is extremely efficient and you don't get any drive shaft slap when letting off the throttle in the lower gears.
That being said the 1600 is supposed to be a touring bike, however when you ride it between the smoothness, handling and power if it is a touring bike it's on steroids.
Complete vibration free, and if your still on the throttle at 5000rpm it's like a missle just went off.
I can't see myself ever buying another bike that could top this.

Thanks Gary.
The belt drive is extremely efficient and you don't get any drive shaft slap when letting off the throttle in the lower gears.
That being said the 1600 is supposed to be a touring bike, however when you ride it between the smoothness, handling and power if it is a touring bike it's on steroids.
Complete vibration free, and if your still on the throttle at 5000rpm it's like a missle just went off.

Did you ever try any of the smaller shaft drives?

The smaller motor sizes you don't notice it as much or very little at all.
Purely from efficiency I believe the belt is 90 percent, the chain is 80 percent and the shaft was 70.
I do like the maintenance on shaft drives.

"HD is continuing with a poor design ... BMW with a great design. "

That is your opinion...it does not make it so.....That's a difference.

Give me a break ...

Comparing a configuration that creates rider heat problems to one that doesn't is a valid, objective comparison.

Comparing a configuration that creates (rear) cylinder heating problems to the extent the engine must be detuned to a configuration without this limitation is a valid, objective comparison.

Stating they aren't valid comparisons is simply wishful thinking ... opinions, that is.

Come talk to me when HD makes 125 horsepower. Come talk to me if they can do it at 1200cc.

The smaller motor sizes you don't notice it as much or very little at all.
Purely from efficiency I believe the belt is 90 percent, the chain is 80 percent and the shaft was 70.
I do like the maintenance on shaft drives.

I think you may overstate the case on drive-train efficiency. Remember, the spiral bevel gears in the shaft drive are of a fairly low ratio configuration.

Thanks Gary.

Having to remove the clutch and primary to replace a belt with a hole in it from a rock? is not appreciated. I do not know if the same arrangement is repeated on the new ones. It is a strange arrangement with hollow concentric shafts.

Rod

Back