• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Handlebar risers?

Forgive my ignorance, but I am new to the forum (and to BMW ownership) so I'm still learning tons.

For one, my bike needs risers.
My search lead me here, but Ilium Works doesn't list risers for my model.

Can anyone recommend another manufacturer, parts dealer or better way to search?

Any help would be appreciated.

d_roc, I remember having trouble finding the Ilium risers, too. Look for "Bar Backs" on their site, if I recall correctly. They're great!

Meanwhile, the only real complaint I have about my '16 RT is the footpegs. I'm old, (enough) and already have a titanium knee, and wish like anything that the footpegs were about 3 - 5 inches farther forward. Do the Ilium boards really make that much difference? And now, thanks to someone commenting above, I need to go check out those Suburban lowering kits. Thanks all!

Meanwhile, the only real complaint I have about my '16 RT is the footpegs. I'm old, (enough) and already have a titanium knee, and wish like anything that the footpegs were about 3 - 5 inches farther forward. Do the Ilium boards really make that much difference?

I bought a set of Ilium SportBoards when I owned a 2008 RT. I put about 50K miles on that bike, then moved to a 2015 RT. I moved the SportBoards to the bike, and so far have about 25K on that. I have arthritis in my left knee, but have not had a replacement. I'm 6'4"/34" inseam. Riding without the Ilium SB would be a painful experience. I think Ilium has tightened the dimensions of the newest boards for the RT-LC. Nonetheless, the older model works. I find that it is a fine thing to be able to move my feet forward and back while on the boards. I'm sure that cornering clearance is compromised, but as an old, slow rider, that's not an issue for me.

I did add the Ilium shift extension (but modified after I lost the first one), and also added the very pricey rear brake lever. I found it difficult to use the shift and rear brake (for low-speed maneuvers) before the additions.

Here are two photos of the LH side of my RT as I was riding the Dragon a few months ago. You'll see the shift extension and the Ilium SBs.

'7711907-129Slayer 2.jpg

'7711906-129Slayer 2.jpg

Thanks, the pictures help. I've got the shift extender already. Also Z-Technik engine guards with cheap pegs added, lets me stretch out.

Back