• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Veskimo

FELAW

Does anyone have any experience using the Veskimo cooling system. I'm planning an extended trip to the Southwest and was looking for some effective cooling.

Pour water in the sleeves of your jacket and wear a cooling vest you soak in water and stay hydrated.

Get acclimated to the environment your going to be in by being in the environment and taking it easy for a few days and take more frequent breaks before you jump into it.

If that doesn't work you can kick yourself in the ass for taking my advice later.

Hydration is the key to surviving the heat and this means NO sodas and little caffeine, a cup in the AM is fine but some people drink coffee like water. I worked outdoors for many years as a fishing guide in the Keys and survived fine on water, V8 and diluted Gatorade and pickle juice..... YMMV

Another thing to think about when riding in the Southwest is that humidity is very low ... and this means you may have problems with your eyes drying out.

At the minimum have eye drops, but something like 7Eye glasses is another solution (and there are other brands)
https://7eye.com/collections/airshield

Mine are fitted with prescription lenses and I never ever ride without them.

I have a "hybrid" Veskimo system. No worries about pouring water down your neck. No worries about heat exhaustion. You still need to hydrate, but it is FAR less critical when running my system. I have tried several gear setups with this system. Since you don't have cooling on your legs, they can get too warm using an Aerostich or similar non vented gear. My favorite setup is my Motoport mesh kevlar pants and jacket. Their mesh isn't as open as most other mesh products, but provides good ventilation just the same without overdoing it. I also found, since I have mesh outer gear, that putting my old evaporative vest over the Veskimo insulates it from outside air movement and temps.

The Good:
I can ride all day in temps over 100 and never get that drousy tired feeling from too long in the heat. I don't sweat near as much as most people, but I sweat very little, even in my helmet, when running this system. I was on 285 just inside New Mexico from Texas last year. Fresh black asphalt. Traffic stopped for road construction. 102 degrees on my RT display as I was riding up to it. Sat there for nearly 1/2 hour stopped. Turned the bike off, left the Veskimo system on. In full gear. I stayed quite comfortable! Without this system I would have had to pull off the road and take off gear. Grabbing a bottle of water out of the coolers ice water at a rest stop is simply priceless!

The Bad:
You cannot buy a Veskimo system ready to go that works. They will talk about using block ice and getting several hours of time. First, block ice isn't readily available on the road, second even block ice won't last all that long when running system hard. My solution was to buy a 30 can cooler at Walmart. I fitted it with the hoses and timer. It will hold a 20lb bag of ice! This lasts me for a tank of fuel. Usually 200+ miles or 3-4 hours. This takes up some room on the pillion seat. Not worth it for shorter trips. You will spend several dollars a day on ice on long trips ( worth every penny ).

Overall the system works well. Rather easy to undo the hoses when you stop or get on the way. Their quick release hoses, which I bought to make my own cooling system, are well designed.

I have the Veskimo vest as it is delivered:
DSC02004_zpstxat5idz.jpg

My cooler currently runs a small bilge pump to circulate coolant. I use a bait well timer to vary the time it runs. I have the same connector on the power lead that my heated gear uses, so I just plug the coaxial cord into my heated gear power port.

DSC01998_zpsi7r6mkxk.jpg

This won't be for everyone. I don't think I would ever be able to use their cooler, even the bigger one they offer. Just won't last long enough. But, after using this in the heat, I won't be taking any summer trips without it.

Another thing to think about when riding in the Southwest is that humidity is very low ... and this means you may have problems with your eyes drying out.

At the minimum have eye drops, but something like 7Eye glasses is another solution (and there are other brands)
https://7eye.com/collections/airshield

Mine are fitted with prescription lenses and I never ever ride without them.

+1!! I always have Visine or similar in my tank bag. I don't wear contacts but my eyes do dry out a bit when riding out West. My suit has a pocket for a Camelback bladder so I stay on top of things but every two hours or so I do get the eyedrops out.. Down here in Florida I never need to do so.

Back