• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New tire balancing

Bobhudak

Does anyone have experience using glass beads inside the tire to balance the tire instead of using conventional weights? Thanks in advance.

Bob -

There has been past discussion on this. Check out the thread "Dyna Beads" in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen. You can also go to the View Tag Cloud link below and type in "Dyna" and see other links to past discussions.

I typically use the cheap Harbor Freight tire balancer when mounting new tires. I put in a bit of the balance beads on top of that to help out as the tire wears in over time. It's my "insurance" for using a cheap balancer.

I've never had an issue with that setup... though I have heard of people having a stray bead getting stuck in either the valve stem or on the tire bead causing a flat the next day.

I used something called Ride-On. I liked it as it was a liquid you put into the tire, and it protects against nail holes as it seals them up and the balancing aspect does work. And works well. However I have not gone back with them on this last week when I installed RS 4. I just pulled out my Marc Parnes balancer and did both tires....

IMHO, I would stick with tried and true, static balancing with wheel weights.

I used the Dyna Beads by themselves for a coupla sets of tires some years ago and had zero problems. This was before TMPS though so I have no idea how well they play with those sensors.

I wonder why the Moto GP and Superbike teams don't use them, or maybe they ALL do. Videos I've seen, they still use a static balancer.

It Ain't broke why fix it.:)

On the tire bead site, they state that you could not do a dynamic balance to verify if the beads worked. The wheel needs to be on the ground and rotating.

Fine, but what we can do is get a wheel out of balance by placing weights on it to the point that you can see the wheel hop, then install beads and see if it smooths out.

I just do a static balance myself and be done with guessing.

Maybe a couple of reasons? WAGs here:
They don't want to risk a bead hanging up in the valve stem;
As often as they change tires, how many bottles of beads would they need to carry along;
As often as they change tires, they don't want anybody stepping (or riding) on a bead and slipping or falling;
They haven't produced an "absolute determination" that they're really better than dynamic balancing, since it's a bunch more critical at racing speeds than at our "street" speeds.

Back