• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Speedo pickup sensor R1200RS

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
Does anyone know which sensor, front or rear, is used to indicate speed on this bike?

EDIT: Which sensor drives the speedometer?

Thanks in advance for your assistance, pity and/or insults. :)

Last edited:
I know how to figure it out with a center stand and careful application of rear brake to prevent driveline snap...

Reactions: lee
Glad to see you're still kickin' it, Bluehole.

Just curious, still trailering the bike to interesting picture locations? :cool:

Another way to determine this would be to pull an extended wheelie and see if the speedo goes to zero....:bolt

Does anyone know which sensor, front or rear, is used to indicate speed on this bike?

EDIT: Which sensor drives the speedometer?

Thanks in advance for your assistance, pity and/or insults. :)
On my 2016 R1200RT it is the front wheel sensor that drives the speedo. I know this because I damaged the front sensor while changing the tire . A new front sensor had to be installed before the speedometer worked again.

On my 2016 R1200RT it is the front wheel sensor that drives the speedo. I know this because I damaged the front sensor while changing the tire . A new front sensor had to be installed before the speedometer worked again.
Hmmm …. The ABS system reads both front and rear sensors to get a comparison, and given BMW’s proclivity for linking things (like turn signal flashers and ABS systems on R11 bikes) I wouldn’t count on that being definitive nor consistent throughout the model range. Post# 6 attests to the rear sensor being used to feed the speedo. An easy test would be running the bike on the center stand and in gear to see if the speed displays.

Best,
DeVern

Back