• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Carry on helmet bag

pettynerd

My wife and I will be flying to Portugal for two weeks of riding, we do not want to check any bags so I'm looking for suggestions for a helmet bag/backpack that will fit a Schuberth C5 size XL, and still fit under the airline seat- 17"x10"x9".

We are aware that we are bringing DOT certified helmets to the EU, but we're rebels! :cool::rocker

First time I flew with my helmet I had it in my tailbag that was capable of expanding to hold it. Some knock off Amazon brand, but the kind you see for sportbikes. Second time I just put it in my gym bag I was using as luggage, but I do think I put that in the overhead bin and not under the seat.

No way your helmets are going to fit under an airline seat. I took my Schuberth E2 to South America last fall in a carry on duffle bag. I stuffed as much as I could inside and around the helmet in the bag to maximize the use of space. The helmet itself was wider than the maximum dimension for the overhead bin bag sizing, but I was able to pass it through check-in without trouble. I had checked luggage as well which held the rest of my riding gear.

I have a padded helmet bag that I bought from Amazon. I use it to carry my prescription drugs including insulin with a pair of gloves stuffed around everything. My gear takes up one large suitcase that is checked - with an Apple AirTag, my clothing and camera in a smaller suitcase that goes in the overhead bin.

I have a padded helmet bag that I bought from Amazon. I use it to carry my prescription drugs including insulin with a pair of gloves stuffed around everything. My gear takes up one large suitcase that is checked - with an Apple AirTag, my clothing and camera in a smaller suitcase that goes in the overhead bin.
Apple AirTag. :thumb
Seems more and more important.
OM

Apple AirTag. :thumb
Seems more and more important.
OM
Well, there are a couple of choices..rent gear from the motorcycle rental company and pray that it’s good gear, in good repair and clean…and ignore the nice Klim gear that is at home…or just take the Klim gear & Alpinestars boots etc. etc and pray that the airline doesn't lose it. I got lucky - all my gear arrived in Glasgow with me and after riding the NC500 it made it back to Winnipeg at the end of the vacation.

I have a very nice helmet bag that came with my Klim MX helmet and a not as nice one that came with my Troy Lee MX helmet. I take the Klim for fly and rides. I'll have to rethink that when I got for one in the spring as I won't have space to carry it home.

I use an expandable tail bag. It doubles as a back pack. I have and Oxford Products T40R tail bag. I carry my Shoe Neotec 2 full face helmet in it. Tight fit. You have to put the helmet in upside down. Ten you can fill the helmet with socks and underwear for when your luggage is delayed.

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Back