• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clutch engagement adjustment

bobw

I have a 2017 RT and have the clutch adjustment set on 1 and it still engages to far out. Is there another way to adjust this?
Bob

I have a 2017 RT and have the clutch adjustment set on 1 and it still engages to far out. Is there another way to adjust this?
Bob

I believe the setting you reference is for the distance of the lever to the grip, this adjustment is only ergonomics.

Jay

I believe the setting you reference is for the distance of the lever to the grip, this adjustment is only ergonomics.

Jay

Absolutely true. But it does alter the finger position relative to the engagement/disengagement point of the clutch.

In the old days with cables it was simple to adjust free play to get the feel a rider wanted. It is not so simple anymore.

Bob

Have exactly the same issue and what I found was while there IS a way to modify the engagement spot the dealer did not recommend doing it. I believe John Von Baden (sp) put out a how to on this.

I tried the Von Baden method and it made a small difference but not as much as I would like. My friends 2016 RT is right where I would like mine. I end up reving it more then necessary taking off.

There is a chance of messing up the clutch by "adjusting" it as described. If you read the thread it is even stated there.

My advice is learn the feel of engagement of your specific bike's clutch and just ride.

Exactly !! I am just learning to live with it but adjusting the lever to the #1 position helped quite a bit.

Adjusting ergonomics to suite hand and finger size for sure helps.

These clutches just engage very early in the pull. There is no need to even pull the clutch past half way in as it engages so early.

Took awhile to learn but man you can get fast clean shifts with the engagement being so early.

Once you get used to it is is very nice, at least to me.

Agreed ....my issue is not with the shifting but rather in starting out in 1st gear. My GSA and most other bikes I have owned are such that the clutch engages close to the grip so that you never have to slip the clutch and for me allows for clean crisp starts. With the engagement farther out I don't always get a crisp start. Hope this was clear.

I believe the OP was suggesting the same.

Back