• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW 12GS/A OEM Pannier Rack Dealer Hold

If you knew this before buying the bike, you're not being held hostage. On the other hand, if you didn't know this, that's a different story. I'm sure BMW would like to deliver the bike with racks as much as you want to get the bike with racks. BMW had dealers remove the racks because they cannot deliver a bike that's subject to a recall, and which fails to meet the regulations. Yes, I'd be irritated too. I'm not sure I'd expect BMW to refund me the cost of the racks, as they were part of the bike, though that's easy for me to say, I know. You will get the racks eventually, and they will give you a duffel, or whatever it is, in the meantime. Hardly consolation, I'm sure. There's nothing stopping you from buying Jesse bags and mounts, if you're desperate for them right now. Yes, you'd have paid for BMW racks. Maybe you could sell them once received, though I'm not sure what the market would be. GS riders who want aluminum cases?

I think it is unreasonable to expect a dealer to reimburse a buyer for removing a factory installed item. I have Jesse bags on my GSA, but did not expect the dealer lower the price because I didn't want their racks. Would you expect them to do the same for seats, windshields and tires?
If a buyer took delivery of a GSA after the dealer removed the racks per BMWNA direction, and told the dealer to keep them, then why shouldn't the dealer should essentially buy back the new undamaged racks? I mean, he can resell them at list for $800 why not sweeten the deal for the buyer of a ~$20K bike too?

Back