• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cruise control failure 07RT

mikegalbicka

Back in the saddle again
It works then just quits and might take some time before it starts to work again. Is there a sensor or something I can check to solve this? No rhyme or reason to when it works and doesn't that I can tell. The red light comes on and stays on so I think the main switch is OK. Reading other posts I probably have a micro switch problem but not sure where they are or how to check. Am on the road and would sure like to get an easy fix.

The microswitch at the clutch lever is different on a cruise control model than the rest of models.

Is the bike starting in gear OK? If not, the switch may be slightly out of adjustment.Takes a 1.5mm hex from the bottom to allow switch to be rotated. Easy to strip out as some have serious drop of threadlocker.

Not sure how Cruise gets kicked off with brake application, microswitches also at lever and foot pedal that may be dirty/sticking

It won't always start in first gear with the clutch pulled in and kickstand up. If that issue can also cause the cruise to not engage even when the switch is on and light lit then you have narrowed down the problem. But I am having a hard time with the logic. Cruise wouldn't work because switch signals pulled in when not. Won't start because switch signals not pulled in when it is. Sound right?

I think Anton recently spoke of a three wire switch in another thread. Is it a dual switch and one is normal open, the other normal close on the cruise models...maybe he will chime in.
It is a pretty easy adjustment as you should be able to hear a click when you operate the lever. The warning is to slowly try to loosen that 1.5 setscrew with an L hex and use the leverage of long side.It swivels on a pin ,so just loosen or you will lose the very small disc that sits between screw and switch.
Have adjusted many for no start in gear with sidestand up, very minor adjustment solves issue.On a few GS's their is a lot of gunk at switch pivot and a shot of contact cleaner usually flushes that out.

OR...swing by a dealer :thumb

Back