• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Parking light stuck on

kwazimoto

I went for a nice long ride yesterday. I went to start bike (97R1100RT)this morning,nothing worked. Hooked up battery charger and noticed front parking light is stuck on,no ignition switch position will turn it off. Battery is a new Oddyssey .Any suggestions? Would the ignition switch go bad in just one position? How can I check it out?

Is the ignition switch in the OFF position? I never use it, but there is another position left of OFF (if I recall correctly) in which the parking lights are on and the steering head is locked. That would explain the flat battery and the lights on.

So, with the key all the way counterclockwise, the positions would be LOCK-OFF-RUN, with LOCK being the position I described above.

EDIT - I was not quite correct:

I got out the Rider's Manual. On my R1100RS, there are four positions for the key (* - key can be removed):

ON - Operating position, ignition and all electrical circuits on

R* - Ignition off, steering not locked

OFF* - Ignition off, steering locked

P* - Position lights switched on, steering locked (note - the position lights should only be switched on for limited periods. Note state of battery charge.)

Last edited:
I went for a nice long ride yesterday. I went to start bike (97R1100RT)this morning,nothing worked. Hooked up battery charger and noticed front parking light is stuck on,no ignition switch position will turn it off. Battery is a new Oddyssey .Any suggestions? Would the ignition switch go bad in just one position? How can I check it out?

Is the tail lamp on as well?

Tail lamp was not on .The ignition switch was off.The light was on with the ignition switch in the off or parking light position.I charged the battery Sat.and will play with it some more tomorrow.Thanks!

Tail lamp was not on .The ignition switch was off.The light was on with the ignition switch in the off or parking light position.I charged the battery Sat.and will play with it some more tomorrow.Thanks!

Do you have the stock turn signal controller or a Signal Minder or other? If it is not the stock one, could you swap in the stock one for troubleshooting?

Last edited:
Looking at the schematic the scenario you describe is only possible if the key is one click past the off position OR there is something wrong inside the key switch. There should be a grey wire from the key switch (58a terminal) going to fuse number 4 and then a gry/brn wire to both the park and tail light bulbs. Only one of those two bulbs being on would mean the tail light bulb is bad or flaky, or has a bad ground which is easily tested but not very likely.

Back