• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200RS: Need tank bag, top case, and ram ball mount suggestions.

skeive

An OEM accessary tank bag came with my used bike, but I would like to replace it with something that can hold a cell phone/gps device visibly. Any suggestions for one that would work well? Ideally I want something that will use the existing buckle mounts that are already in place, but can swap those around if needed.

For the top case, I need something that will be large enough to fit a laptop backpack so I can ride to work without wearing a backpack. The side cases won't quite fit it. I would be happy to go with an OEM case if that fits my bag; those appear to run about $500 new on the BMW parts site I found. It would also be nice if the top case will hold my XL modular helmet as that is just slightly too large to fit in the side case. Any recommendations?

Any suggestions would also be appreciated for mounting a RAM mount. I am used to the tubular handle bars and used the u mount for Harley. I can't figure out where I could mount one on the BMW. I am guessing it is a solved problem, and am hoping someone can tell me what the solution is.

Thanks in advance!

See http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-345U Buy it wherever fine motorcycle parts are sold: RevZilla, etc., etc., etc.

There was a BMW RS tank bag. You probably have the clips for one. It'll take huge chunks of luck to find one in decent shape. Think about a bag that mounts on a clip around the fuel filler - RevZilla, etc., etc., etc.

Top case... RevZilla, etc., etc., etc. It's all just standard shop for it, buy it stuff.

I was guessing that was what I needed for the RAM mount, but was hoping there was a way that didn't involve the clutch/brake fluid reservoirs. Went ahead and ordered the mount you mentioned. Thanks for the recommendation.

I haven't purchased a tank bag or top case before. Wasn't sure if there were some do's and don'ts to those. And was hoping someone used a top case for the same purpose on the same bike and could say here is what I use, and it works great.

You will need to adapt it to fit your rear rack (if you have one), but I have been very happy with the Bestem T-Box TBOX-929 for the last 40k on my K75S. It's a Givi clone and very inexpensive compared to other top boxes. The integrated lights are absolutely worthless, but you can replace them if needed (Admore makes a set that is decent). It has been waterproof and fits my Large helmet with Sena bluetooth just fine.

Givi and Nelson Rigg (two that come to mind, but there's more) make tank bags with an integrated phone/gps holder. The trouble is that you're looking reallllly far down while riding so I question safety. Plus I'm not sure how waterproof those bag are and if I'd trust them with my phone/gps. I would rather get a Ram aquabox and mount the gps/phone in that.

Just ordered a XStream Range Tank Bag and the mounting ring. Looks like it will be a couple of weeks before I get them, but hopefully will work well.

Eyes on the road

Skelve. I know I shouldn't say this, but I feel it's essential. With over a half million miles over more than 50 years of riding, while operating a motorcycle, I would not recommend taking your eyes off the road to look at a cell phone or GPS. I know it's only for a second or two, but with the amount of traffic, distracted drivers, bad roads etc., it would be best if you keep your attention to safely operating the motorcycle. You can always pull over and stop to check your phone.

Skelve. I know I shouldn't say this, but I feel it's essential. With over a half million miles over more than 50 years of riding, while operating a motorcycle, I would not recommend taking your eyes off the road to look at a cell phone or GPS. I know it's only for a second or two, but with the amount of traffic, distracted drivers, bad roads etc., it would be best if you keep your attention to safely operating the motorcycle. You can always pull over and stop to check your phone.

All valuable advice. I don't use the devices when moving. I either want them at hand when I am stopped to check where I need to go, or I just want them in a weatherproof enclosure that is near at hand rather than in my jacket pocket which is not weather proof.

When I remember I put the phone in do not disturb before setting out, and just ignore it otherwise. I have gps directions coming in as voice turn by turn directions over bluetooth in my helmet.

So I am with you.

Pelican

I use a Pelican case inside my tank bag for my phone, papers, etc that have to stay dry. I use a small RKA tank bag on my RS and like it. Large enough for what I need, small enough to not get in the way.

I use a Pelican case inside my tank bag for my phone, papers, etc that have to stay dry. I use a small RKA tank bag on my RS and like it. Large enough for what I need, small enough to not get in the way.

I am keeping a dry bag in my current tank bag to throw my electronics in if I get caught in the rain. But I generally like to have my phone more accessible. I just installed the RAM mount that RBEmerson suggested and that worked great. With it in the RAM mount, when I stop for gas I don't have to dig into the tank bag to pull out the phone and record my milage/gallons added. Instead it is right there.

I have been toying with the idea of mounting a larger Pelican case as a top case on my luggage rack. I use a couple Pelican cases for photography stuff and was thinking something like that would actually be perfect as a top case. Things are indestructible and weather proof. Maybe a bit heavy though...

Pelican

IIRC, Rob Nye has used Pelican as a top case on his IBR bikes. There is a BMW adapter plate for the luggage rack that has a flat surface that makes using a soft case or mounting a hard one much easier. Adapter goes on or comes off in literally seconds. Not cheap from BMW, but I saw one with a top case on Beemer Vineyard not long ago. Might check to see if it is still there.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/71602337144.html
It is now marked sold.

Last edited:
There is a BMW adapter plate for the luggage rack that has a flat surface that makes using a soft case or mounting a hard one much easier. Adapter goes on or comes off in literally seconds. .

I used one of those with a soft bag on my RS and it worked great, but I would be careful not to place too much weight on the OEM rack.

Carrier plate.jpg

Rack.jpg

Mesa & Rack.jpg

Yeah, that does look like a good idea. The parts.bmwmotorcycles.com site has the soft case and plate. Can't tell if the softcase price includes the plate or whether you have to buy each separately... Where did you buy yours?

I don't plan on putting much weight on the rack. I need it to hold my laptop bag (2 laptops and 2 ipads for work). Approximately 15 pounds of stuff. Want the case to be water proof and would ideally be lockable so I can stop on way home from work without having to pack the backpack in with me. So figure the case might be 10 to 15 pounds...

Also I would use the case for carrying photo gear (Canon 5d Mark III and a few L lenses). And obviously being able to lock that and having it water tight would be ideal. And I figure I can strap tripod on top of that. All that is around 20 pounds max...

Paste, no case

I bought mine several years ago online from a Beemer dealer, forgot which one. It was about $150 for the plate and lock cylinder with key, which are sold separately. I already had a soft top case, which did not like the short, curved RS rack. I don't know if a package is offered that includes a soft case and the rack. I know having the rack will make installation of any case easier as you will have a flat surface to work with. I think the specified load rating is 22 pounds, but I am not certain.

The title is supposed to be "Base, no case" but I am tired and auto correct is being too helpful.

Can't tell if the softcase price includes the plate or whether you have to buy each separately... Where did you buy yours?

The BMW soft case does not include the plate.
I bought my plate and soft case in 2003 from the BMW dealer. I did not like the BMW soft case because it did not hold its shape. I sold the BMW soft case and bought the Chicane shown in the picture.
The Chicane bags are no longer sold.

See http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-345U Buy it wherever fine motorcycle parts are sold: RevZilla, etc., etc., etc.

There was a BMW RS tank bag. You probably have the clips for one. It'll take huge chunks of luck to find one in decent shape. Think about a bag that mounts on a clip around the fuel filler - RevZilla, etc., etc., etc.

Top case... RevZilla, etc., etc., etc. It's all just standard shop for it, buy it stuff.

Ended up buying a Givi tank bag that uses the quick release clip mounted on the fuel filler door. Seems to work great.

Still have to get a top case, but will be waiting a bit for that.

Back