• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valetine V1 how to?

I would like to mount a V1 on my 2013 RT and am hopeful you fellas can guide me. I think I plan to mount the V1 on a ram mount (handlebar) not sure what I need to mount the V1 to the ram mount. Is there a specific plate or mounting interface I need? I also plan to use the Marc Parnes LED visual alert but I know the V1 has a remote visual indicator as well. Is there a reason to use the Marc Parnes alert over the V1 remote visual alert. I guess most importantly, I'm not really clear on how to power/wire the V1 and remote visual indicator. I've seem some mention using a Fuze box or something similar. Is there a step by step somewhere that illustrates the installation of a V1 on an RT? I believe there is some "weather protection" case/sleeve that is available for the V1 as well, isn't there?

I realize these are probably stupid questions but I'm hoping not to make mistakes/incorrect parts purchases in this build. Thanks in advance to any help and guidance.

I use a RAM mount for mine. The mount has magnets built into the base and it comes with a metal plate that sticks to the bottom of your radar detector with adhesive. Just set the detector onto the ram mount and viola! To remove, simply twist the detector to break the alignment and pull of the magnets.
As far as wiring goes, you could wire it directly to the battery through a small fuse panel you can buy a nearly any auto parts store.
The light on the detector is not bright enough to be seen in direct sunlight and unless the thing is positioned directly in your line of sight at all times, you will end up missing a lot of the alerts. Get the super bright flashy LED thing.

I’ve been running a V1 for about 12 years and on at least six different bikes. I’ve used the magnetic plate on every installation and have had no issues. I currently have it on a GSA and a F700GS. I use a Ram mount on the F700GS and an aluminum bracket I made on the GSA. I’ve built a cover for the V1 out of ABS plastic. It covers the top, sides and back but the bottom, where the metal plate is attached, and sensor on the front are not covered. This picture shows it on my GSA mounted on the lower left side of the cockpit;

AD26EF5A-DD7E-412C-9FB3-3CC4A8B9972C.jpg

Where it is mounted the sensor is behind a black plastic wind deflector. That prevents it from detecting laser but has no discernible effect on radar detection. In my experience when you detect laser you are already a gonner. The cover I built offers protection against prying eyes and limited protection against rain. Enough to protect it long enough to get it out of the rain.

Since the V1’s controls are covered by the cover I use a Remote audio adapter to turn it on and off and a remote concealed display as visual alert. The audio adapter also allows for the use of a Marc Parnes LED flashing alert. I put both of the remote devices on top of a sun visor I made for my GPS. They are in covers I also fashioned to make the visual alerts more eye catching and protect them from the elements. This picture shows the visor set up;

ABB1E241-676A-429D-A948-F0ABF2C6EA07.jpg
I’ve been running this set-up for going on six years and it has served me well.

RCU half shelf

I saw this "half shelf" on another forum and it looks like a pretty cool option for mounting the V1. I'm not clear how the V1 would attach to this shelf however. Any ideas on how the V1 would be attached to that shelf?

A Ram magnetic plate will work.

I'll second that. I've used magnetic RAM mount plates for radar detectors, including my V1, for over 20 years and they have worked really well for me. Easy to remove the detector in a hurry if needed. :)

Back