• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My Browns side stand install

georgej

I've researched and seen other threads on this subject, but could you have a look at what I have here?
I don't like how far the stand sticks out. i also don't like the lack of threads to put the nut back on with.I backed off the other side but I still would like more to thread that nut onto.
I installed the frame bracket for extra support at the exhaust hanger. I just have to get a longer bolt and some washers. Anyone that's used this frame bracket, what size bolt did you get and did you use the shoulder nut?

Thanks,
George

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 249
Here is a /5 for comparison...I don't use the extra frame brace and LOVE the Brown. I was terrified of the OEM side stand 3especially with a rare Heinrich tank on board...

Here's my contribution.

'73 R75/5

NOTE: No flat, or lock washers used. No problems at all.

Left side, nut is flush. Ample shift lever clearance without having to grind out a chunk.
Brown Left.jpg

Right side, about two threads exposed.
Brown Right.jpg

Side stand sticks out like on your 80; haven't grounded it yet.
Brown left side.jpg

The blue "sprinkles" all over everything are the result of it sitting under a disintegrating truck tarp.

Thank you for the replies and the pictures. Maybe I'll take the washer off to get more threads. I like how close the stand is on the /5. I'll see if i can't play with mine, see if it makes any difference.

Sticking out like that looks a little unwieldy, and it isn't very "machine-like" but I think the valve cover will drag before it does. :)

Check some of the other Similar Threads in the panel below.

Also, could you find a thinner nut? I'm sure some places will have the same pitch threads but would be 1/2 to 3/4 as thick.

I've seen them all. A lot of the pictures show not much thread left so I'm probably OK there. I may try to find a thinner nut, thanks for that suggestion.

A thinner nut will not add strength, only look better. The number of threads mating with the nut is the important thing. On my install I removed the washers and I could get the bolt to just reach the end of the nut on both sides. I've also seen bikes that had the support clamp around the exhaust pipe break, after all it is carrying much of the load of the side stand. I modified my stand on the bikes that I had by adding an extension that mates with the front engine mount. I had to drill a new hole in the Brown side stand and add an extra bolt to keep that brace in place. I also used that extra hole to reinstall the exhaust support clamp, not to support the Brown side sand, but to support the exhaust. I hope the photos shown here shows my modifications well enough. I no longer own the bike.

Wayne

Attachments

• top view.jpg
    top view.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 196
  • Extension rod.jpg
    Extension rod.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 196
George,
what stops the stand in it's retracted position, is there a step that the stand rests against that could be modified to allow it to go up higher. Or does the exhaust interfere with it going up higher.

what stops the stand in it's retracted position,

Somewhat concealed by the spring in the photo, the tab (on the frame mount) stops the kickstand "clevis" from rotating. You could probably relieve the tab a bit (much like the mount has been ground out for shifter clearance*) and get a little more retraction out of it.

Brown%201_zpscxtwlrs3.jpg

* My gear selector clears fine, without having had to remove any material from the mounting plate.

Nothing is stopping the standout just retracts as far as you see in the picture.I guess it's really not that bad.It doesn't interfere with the rear foot peg or anything else. I'm just a picky pita I guess.

I got the front bolt and bracket tightened up, everything looks pretty good now. I've looked at a lot of pictures out there on the web.Some retract close to the muffler some don't.
Now that I've tried it I have to say I don't like how much the bike leans using the Browns.Maybe this stand isn't for me.

Looking at the lean angle, it looks a bit extreme. Looking at your photo in post #4, it looks like the clamp around the exhaust has pushed the exhaust up a bit. This would cause both the issues of the stand not retracting closer to the bike, and the excessive lean angle. Another reason to use an extension like I used to take the weight off the exhaust pipe, and transfer it to the front engine mount.

Brown Sidestand Installion Upgrade

The mounting instructions are fine however the front mount to the exhaust pipe is not a good idea. Dennis Darrow has the right approach.
I used cheap and easy BMW frame mount brackets like so.
BMW Part Numbers for the Clamp and Bow
46712302079 $6.05
46712302080 $5.46

Browns Frame Clamp.jpg

This is SO much more solid than the exhaust pipe which will be ruined by the constant wrangling from the sidestand. As a bonus, it holds the exhaust pipe better as well.

Back