• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Inexpensive replacement for 1991 R100GS headlight assembly

ohiorider

The H4 low beam was burned out, so I attempted to change the bulb. But I'm afraid the wire spring clip that holds the H4 in place broke loose from the socket. It appears I may have broken the white plastic bulb socket where the clip is attached. I think it might be possible to remove the headlight assembly and repair the plastic that holds the clip (not the right side where it locks .... the left side where the clip pivots.) It doesn't appear on Max BMW fiche to be a separate part, but is part of the $300 + headlight assembly.

Can anyone provide some workarounds that might not break the bank, and some hints for accessing this part short of removing the 'roo' bar and fairing (if that's even possible!)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bob
MOA: 56434

Thanks! There's some useful info in your post that might keep me from throwing money at this problem.

Regards

Bob

I have the wire clip, after much searching and sweeping of the garage floor. In another link in this thread. it was suggested that I might be able to access and repair the broken part by removing the left side fairing panel. Think I'll check into that approach. Thanks to all for your suggestions and documentation.

Bob
MOA 56434

With advice from a forum member, I've been able to remove the left fairing cover

It appears I broke off a small piece of plastic on the back of the headlight assembly that holds the wire clip that holds the H4 in the socket, so of course the clip won't hold the bulb in place. I'm thinking I could slit a thin piece of plastic tubing and fit it over the pivoting portion of the wire clip. And if I could find the correct epoxy, the tubing could be affixed to the bulb socket, and I could once again clip the H4 in place. However, it seems a bit iffy. Has anyone here broken this fiddly little piece of plastic and been able to repair? Any other suggestions, short of replacing the reflector and lens at a cost of over $300.00?

Ohiorider (Bob)

It appears I broke off a small piece of plastic on the back of the headlight assembly that holds the wire clip that holds the H4 in the socket, so of course the clip won't hold the bulb in place. I'm thinking I could slit a thin piece of plastic tubing and fit it over the pivoting portion of the wire clip. And if I could find the correct epoxy, the tubing could be affixed to the bulb socket, and I could once again clip the H4 in place. However, it seems a bit iffy. Has anyone here broken this fiddly little piece of plastic and been able to repair? Any other suggestions, short of replacing the reflector and lens at a cost of over $300.00?

Ohiorider (Bob)

The best fix I have seen is to cut a piece from a beer or soda can about 3/8" wide and 1" long. Fold it over the wire and use a self tapping screw into a pilot hole drilled in the plastic.

Thanks, Paul. With the left side fairing panel removed, I should be able to perform an operation like you describe here.

Bob

Back