• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

short term memory or brain fart?

Short term memory

I am voting for brain fart. I read this post last night and gave it some thought today. You might consider these ideas. WTH! It won't cost you anything.
First, we have an amazing survival instinct that works quite well. On the occasions that you believed that you had gotten lost, you were no doubt on a pleasure ride with no particular purpose or destination. So you really did not care where you were until you cared where you were. Fair enough.
I like and believe in many of the home remedies, the coconut oil is a good one.
Here are a couple ideas that you might want to try: Meditation - that is, actively thinking of nothing.
Assume a comfortable, but alert posture (not driving or doing anything dangerous) and think of nothing.every time a thought comes to mind, erase it. Really think of nothing. Don't fall asleep just don't think of anything. Keep the chalkboard in your mind blank. You can probably do this for about ten minutes at first. Add time the same way a runner adds distance.
Now, the opposite: while driving or riding, narrate everything. Voacalize everything you see and do. A passenger will find this very annoying, and you can probably keep this going for 4 or 5 minutes. Keep talking to yourself until you realize that you have become mindless and you are not consciously registering your self talk. Take a break, and do it again. Try to become very quick and descriptive. At some point you will realize that you are processing a lot of info faster than you can say it.
Crosswords and sudoku are excellent.
In conversation, make it a habit to let the person you are speaking to completely finish their thought before you reply. You will train yourself to actively listen and you will be surprised how much you missed before you learned to interview people.
You will find other techniques that cause you to activate mental skills that have gone dormant. Try being very mindful of everything and develop habits that help you, such as empty your pockets in the same place when you come home and leave the house through the Same door after you do your pre departure check (iron not on, doors and windows locked).
Do everything mindfully and don't rely on your habits to get things done.
I live near Sun City AZ and have many retired friends who say these things have helped.
Bueno Suarte'.

I do these things in moderation already,so no big learning curve. H has been a coconut nut for some time...I use on occasion...wonder if an Almond Joy works:D

I wasn't lost exactly, just not a clue of exact location as is the norm on most rides. As the saying goes, your not lost if you do not care where you are going.:dance. I have dealt with folks , some family and friends, who were truly lost and stressed at times...I think I am not in that situ yet.

Thanks for the tips and relating to common issues for many.

Back