• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Remapping when adding Akrapovic exhaust tip

By ride ability do you mean sensitivity to throttle position?

Box stock, BMW makes it as lean as they can for European Union emissions reasons. Richening slightly probably makes a better running engine even if it does violate the laws of the European Union, the United States, and other countries. Tampering you know.

For just a muffler change there is no need to remap, on my 2015 R1200R Wethead I put a Black/Carbon finish GPR on it to replace the big chrome muffler. it was just for looks and the GPR at $400 was the right price for me, the workmanship is really good on these units. For me the Engine and fuel mapping is spot on on the Wetheads, as an unusual turn of events for me I left the header as is, there was no meaningful reason to change it and worry about remapping.

-JT

Box stock, BMW makes it as lean as they can for European Union emissions reasons. Richening slightly probably makes a better running engine even if it does violate the laws of the European Union, the United States, and other countries. Tampering you know.

Paul,

I'm asking the OP to define sensitivity. I know that a richer mixture removes some of the "abruptness". However, but the by-wire throttles also contribute with a lack of cable drag/stiction.

Speaking from my own experience, adding some throttle drag via a throttle lock, made me happier.

Paul,

I'm asking the OP to define sensitivity. I know that a richer mixture removes some of the "abruptness". However, but the by-wire throttles also contribute with a lack of cable drag/stiction.

Speaking from my own experience, adding some throttle drag via a throttle lock, made me happier.

Kind of like when I got my first car with power steering. The "feel" took some getting used to.

No doubt, but I still find the throttle action on my R1200ST to be abrupt, at lower r.p.m.'s. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get an AF XIED at some point.

I rode our R12S on a small group ride recently at the back of the group.Never have noticed the twitchiness in low gear/low speed as I did on that ride...was really aggravating and less than fun
Our GS and Roadster don't seem as sensitive doing the crawl.
We have two ride by wires as well, took some getting used to, but you do.

Af-xeid

LFarling - I installed the units in my 2015 RT - I was fighting a light/part throttle surge in the 3000-3500 range - after the install, setting 8 for me, the surge is essentially gone, idle is smoother and the bike feels stronger through on the mid range - hard to tell in the upper rpm ranges as things are too busy for me to be able to discern a change. Installation is a breeze with a bit of care in disconnecting the O2 tabs you'll be fine - if you've got the GS-911, might be worth logging before and after install values as well as an adaption reset after the install.

Safe travels

Kind of like when I got my first car with power steering. The "feel" took some getting used to.

I liked the suggestion to use a combination o-rings and delrin/nylon washers between the throttle and bar end cap. If damping is good for my suspension, why not the throttle linkage......

After reading and re reading your posts I ordered your device.

I do not have the time and patience to use the LC-2's. 10 years and a few injury's ago I would have done it for fun and the learning experience.

Since you were kind enough to put in the work and time I am more than glad to buy your product and support your efforts. I love you are another rider and enthusiast, and you developed this for our community. I also understand you have a financial stake in this but I feel that was not your main or original intent for working on this.

I am pretty excited to receive it and it looks pretty strait forward to install. The one thing is if you blow up the pics of your product you can read something about pulling the gas tank and that put me off a bit. Then searched and read that was not for the RT and ordered.

Pretty cold here in PA but will get it installed as soon after I receive it as I can and start running in the miles for the tables to adjust.

Did you find or get feedback on what setting to start on the RT WC? I was thinking I wanted 7 or possible 8 as my final setting but am not sure how to tell or what to look for as results to distinguish one setting from another? I would think gas mileage will be an indicator of how fat I get on AFR. But fear other changes may be too suttle for me to pick up on.

I can log with the GS-911 and will ask for any tips, tricks, and traps you may have on that aspect.

However I would like a down and dirty quick way of telling if I am getting results that are favorable. Anything you can tell me to look for would be great. Being this cold rides will be short and dragging logging hardware will be inconvenient to say the least.

Again not looking at this for any other reason then to help the motorcycle run better mechanically not necessarily for power. Cooler running is a big item to me. Smoother and lineal power delivery.

I must say I am very happy I posted here on the PC V or I would never have known of your device and efforts. I am pretty excited to get it and see/feel the results.

Thank you.

I want to give credit where credit is due. I did the research for the concept of lambda-shifting on BMW fuel injected motorcycles and had good success with the Innovate Motorsports LC-1. Because it isn't plug 'n play, it was a difficult solution for others to adopt, in spite of its many benefits.

Steve at Nightrider had several lambda-shifting products for Harley Davidsons but they didn't work on BMWs at all. After some friendly jaw-boning and my agreement to specify and test the product, Steve put his time and capital into the development of the product and it remains his product. Mike at Beemerboneyard gave a big assist to Steve by helping him find possible sources for OEM connectors which was key to the product becoming plug 'n play. Beemerboneyard is also a distributor. Hats off to both of them for their faith in the BMW lambda-shifting market.

I rode our R12S on a small group ride recently at the back of the group.Never have noticed the twitchiness in low gear/low speed as I did on that ride...was really aggravating...We have two ride by wires as well, took some getting used to, but you do.

Yes, you learn to ride "around it". I think it's just a matter of avoiding partial throttle openings, but I'm not sure. I have a Subaru that does it too, and I haven't gotten around to getting its ECU re-flashed.

:dunno I spent 4K for this-...I think it's pretty neat when someone or myself gets cool new tools- and uses them :dance

If you're passionate about something, it's satisfying to spend money on it.

I don't buy much stuff any more, so for me to find something I really like, is a real treat.

Last edited:
Slip on

Hello,

I was thinking about putting on an akrapovic exhaust tip on my 2014 R1200RT, should the bike be remapped to match the performance of the new and different exhaust?

Thanks

Rudy
If it’s just a slip on the ecu should compensate, a full exhaust system would be different though.

A BMW rep came to one of our police motor competitions and he had a Akra slip on installed on his demo RT. No mapping needed. As mentioned, most modern bikes don’t need a tune with just a Slip-On. A slip on can give you a little Hp, but not much, with increased airflow, better sound, and weight savings. May not be for everyone but I plan on putting the all black Akra Slip-On on my new black 1250 GS. Should look nice!!!

I get a kick out of this thread, I went back and read all of it.

First off, I have been riding Harleys for years and have never been satisfied with the performance. Cams, exhaust and a tune not long after I bought it. Then I bought a 2018 RT first time I test rode one I got a kick out of the performance right out of the box. Seriously, a motorcycle that performs great right out of the box, then guys want to spend $1000 to get 2-3 more HP?! Crazy, but whatever turns your crank. With the Harley the engine work was to make the motorcycle tolerable!

I get a kick out of this thread, I went back and read all of it.

First off, I have been riding Harleys for years and have never been satisfied with the performance. Cams, exhaust and a tune not long after I bought it. Then I bought a 2018 RT first time I test rode one I got a kick out of the performance right out of the box. Seriously, a motorcycle that performs great right out of the box, then guys want to spend $1000 to get 2-3 more HP?! Crazy, but whatever turns your crank. With the Harley the engine work was to make the motorcycle tolerable!

Hello,

I was thinking about putting on an akrapovic exhaust tip on my 2014 R1200RT, should the bike be remapped to match the performance of the new and different exhaust?

Thanks

Rudy
I read it as he wanted to change the exhaust but didn't know if there was fuel "remapping" involved. The couple of Akrapovic exhausts I have heard sound great.
I like the sounds from a Ford Mustang as well :burnout
OM

I read it as he wanted to change the exhaust but didn't know if there was fuel "remapping" involved. The couple of Akrapovic exhausts I have heard sound great.
I like the sounds from a Ford Mustang as well :burnout
OM

To each their own. To me, engine/exhaust noise is an unfortunate by-product of Internal Combustion Engine propulsion. Any sound level above the absolute minimum is the result of poor engineering.

Any sound level above the absolute minimum is the result of poor engineering.

Or deliberate engineering to make noise because some people pay extra money to have loud motorcycles. Which is almost always, of course, a violation of Federal law but who cares - it is almost never enforced. Ask the clowns that equipped the Oakland, CA police department with unlawful aftermarket loud pipes for their Harleys.

Back