• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lithium Battery

Interesting that his link to that battery claims it works in a 2000 R1100R which I am assuming is the bike he is talking about.

Define "claims it works". :scratch A lithium battery would work in my /7 but there is no way the charging system would work perfectly for that type of battery.

I see no real need to go with such a battery for an Oilhead...someone might do this in a race bike where weight is a premium, but I wonder about what the plusses are with such a battery.

Define "claims it works". :scratch A lithium battery would work in my /7 but there is no way the charging system would work perfectly for that type of battery.

I see no real need to go with such a battery for an Oilhead...someone might do this in a race bike where weight is a premium, but I wonder about what the plusses are with such a battery.

It lets one eat more donuts:laugh

I know folks use them and are happy...I just am a bit skittish on the hard to extinguish fire under my gas tank.

Has anyone tried them yet? I am looking, since I need a new battery anyway. Here is the one I am looking at https://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/ss51913.html

As Henzilla asked, for what BMW? For my RTW, I looked and looked for a non-BMW replacement and finally decided to bite the bullet and ordered a new BMW-branded Exide, which I knew would fit. After some anxious moments (I was not enjoying the $200 charge, including tax, for the battery), my dealer finally stepped up to the plate and agreed with me that it was a warranty issue (<2 years old) and replaced it for me. Afterwards, I was checking Bike Bandit and saw that they were listing several options that they claim were replacement for my '15's battery, but since I had a new BMW battery at no cost -- and only frustrations with the dealer's warrant process -- I didn't spend too much time checking Bike Bandit's offerings to see if they were indeed direct replacements for the BMW=Exide battery.

You are welcome to the Lithium battery from my kid's Hoverboard if you REALLY must have one for your bike. :wave

Friedle

I just bought two batteries. Due to arrive any day now. Both are sealed VRLA batteries. One is for my K75. One is for Voni's F800s. I expect the bike's charging systems to charge these to at least 90 or 95% of fully charged, maybe short of perfect world, but they will start the bikes for several years. I also expect them to last 3 or 4 years. The guys that get 10 years astound me but congratulations. Both of these are pre-emptive replacements. I hate being stranded when traveling. One was about $50. The other about $70. I got both of them for the price of a PC680 for my K75.

I recognize that there are one or two US builders of batteries, and two or three in China. Then there are 25 different brand labels affixed. I chose cheap. Time will tell how smart this was. Meanwhile my other K75 has a PC680 and my VStrom has a Walmart ES14BS Everstart (Neverstart :) ) because that is what you find at Walmart when one fails on the road.

Last edited:
I just replaced a battery in our 11S, former Odyssey gave us almost 7 years of performance before acting up last week.
The S requires a lot of surgery to access the battery compared to our other models so went back with another Odyssey. Have used the generics in easy to access situations, as owning several bikes causes some compromises, with decent longevity as they don't sit for long periods anyways.

Found one for around $110 delivered as opposed to local prices around $150 and up.

But back to lithiums...just not worth the cost or the reactor meltdown that lurks in my mind.

In looking at the website, it doesn't seem like there should be any charging issues.

Cells are internally balanced-no special charger necessary

Can be charged with any Powersport Smart Charger meant for Lead Acid or LifePO4 Batteries

If you do some research on lithium batteries, you'll find there are several different technologies involved. Some are safer than others. LiFePO
4 are the ones that are safer than the ones you hear about catching on fire.

If I needed a replacement battery, I'd certainly consider one.

Chris

Different types of Lith.technology. Boeing and skate boards used Lith-Cobalt which requires a very specific charge rate, if charged over that rate you will have thermal runaway.

Lithium Batteries and Fertilizer

Shorai makes LiFePO4 batteries and I had two of them. The company treated me right. I put the first battery in a Tiger 1050 and had some issues. When I talked to one of their sales guys at MC show, he said contact their support staff. I had one of a batch that came with bad circuit boards. They replaced it with free shipping both ways. I moved it to my 2011 GS but the Tiger battery was too small. They sent me the correct battery at no cost and free shipping both ways. The new battery was almost a $100 difference in price too so that was really nice of them.

If you get one you need to learn the tricks of operation. First, make sure you get one that is the right size for your bike. Next you need to understand cold weather starting. The internal resistance of the battery is very high when cold. They still have plenty of juice to fire the bike up, but the battery needs to be warm. I know this sounds wrong to all those guys who fire up a vehicle in cold weather. but turn your lights on for a while to get it to warm up before you hit the starter. It has plenty of juice to do that. Some people put electric heaters, like those DIY grip heater things, around the battery to keep them warm. Also, you don't have to leave it on a charger all winter. If you are leaving it in a cold garage for months at a pop, pull it. That's not a bad idea for any battery. Once you get used to it there really isn't much difference than any other battery. I've heard lots of guys say that the bike fires up stronger with the Li battery, but I didn't see that. It just fired up normally.

Pro's - they are significantly lighter, I mean a bunch.
Con's - the cold weather start takes getting used to. They are expensive.
Meh - if you load up the bike with a lot of stuff or you eat too many Big Mac's the weight difference doesn't matter.

Lithium-Iron - Deltran

I bought one of the first Deltran Lithium Iron batteries three years ago for my 2013 G650GS. The battery has four cable mounts (2 positive 2 negative).

http://products.batterytender.com/Batteries/240-CCA-Lithium-Engine-Start-Battery.html

I was dissatisfied with the amount of misting I was getting from the stock battery and more than a little surprised that it wasn't at least sealed.

The battery-tender people I bought it from back then said that the charger I had was compatible and then this year I see they had a charger model specifically for the Lithium Iron application so I picked one up.

Pricey and as has been said - really lite.

They said they last five times longer than a lead acid battery.

No issues so far.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
Life 71,449

I pulled the trigger and got it. Obviously the weigh is a huge deal. The bike charges it without a problem. And the cold does not appear a problem. I turn the key on for about 30 seconds and then crank it. Starts easily. I have kept it parked in the snow, under a cover just to test it. Lows of 17 degrees. Hell, my battery doesn't work at those temps :)

DSCN0162.jpg

It lets one eat more donuts:laugh

I know folks use them and are happy...I just am a bit skittish on the hard to extinguish fire under my gas tank.

OK - the donut reference has potential. But hey - previous profession and all, so eh................?!

I agree - weight savings? Really?! If not competitively racing for a huge purse, really don't care if my bike weighs 500 lbs. or 1,100 lbs. (yup - as a Motor Officer, I spent 8 hrs. a day wielding around nearly 3/4 of a ton of bike and rider on city streets - no big deal) - as long as it's comfortable and does what I want it to do.

As for enhanced MPG, in the BMW community, given it's obsession with speeding, the whole "more miles to a tankful" passion falls apart quicker than the FD on an R1200RT.

As for fire risk, too many tales of woe with lithium to bury that time-bomb inside my expensive motorcycles.

I'd pass on that technology for now. :dunno

Last edited:
As for enhanced MPG, in the BMW community, given it's obsession with speeding, the whole "more miles to a tankful" passion falls apart quicker than the FD on an R1200RT.

Be careful with generalizing...not all of us fit in that description. Some of us actually appreciate that motorcycles, at least in theory, are fuel-efficient vehicles.

Harry

Be careful with generalizing...not all of us fit in that description. Some of us actually appreciate that motorcycles, at least in theory, are fuel-efficient vehicles.

Harry

They are, but only if driven properly.

My apologies for the broad brush, but speed cancels mileage - always has. :dance

Lithium battery

They are, but only if driven properly.

My apologies for the broad brush, but speed cancels mileage - always has. :dance

:thumb Not if you are travelling downhill !

Happy Holidays to all, and to all a good night.

Friedle

Call me old school but when BMW puts lithiums in at the factory I'll use them as replacements. Meantime, a good AGM for me.

Back