• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 1200RT & SRC Pairing Issues

jw72combat

I recently purchased a 2016 1200RT. My wife and I both have Schubert C3 helmets with SRC communicators. We use the communicators for intercom, I bluetooth in music from iPod and she hard wires music and books on tape through headsets using her iPhone and iPod (she does not want to deal with BT pairing). Units have worked fine for us for a couple years and we keep software up to date. When I was looking at the RT the dealer told me that we could pair both SRC units to the bike's audio system, she could pair her iPhone to her helmet, I could pair my iPhone to the Nav 5 unit, and I could then pair my SRC unit to the Nav 5. He said that way we could both listen to music and use the communicators for intercom and phone calls and I could get turn-by-turn directions from the Nav 5. The only limitation was I could not control volume through the Wonderwheel. Well........it is not working out that way at all. I went through the recommended pairing routine and while I was able to pair my SRC to the bike's audio system and Nav 5 I could not pair hers to the audio system. So she went back to her old method since she didn't like my choice of music anyway....no big deal. After I paired my SRC to the bike's audio system I had music. Next time I turned bike and SRC on I had no music. Since then I and the dealer have paired/unpaired the SRC dozens of times and sometimes it works for a short while and most times it doesn't work at all. Sometimes I get a solid dot next to the BT symbol indicating paired connection but with no audio and sometimes I get a flashing searching signal. I have no issues with the SRC to Nav 5 pairing, other than the volume level on the turn-by-turn instructions is pretty faint (I have SRC volume set to Max). I have gone back to pairing my iPod directly to SRC system and given up using the bike's audio system. I don't think I should be having to implement a work around solution for something the dealer told me was a capability of the product they sold me. Anybody else out there having similar issues?
Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
Jim

What I have found when pairing the NAV 5 GPS, Schuberth C3 Pro, SRC Pro, BMW Audio System and Samsung Galaxy S4 on a 2016 R1200RT:
1. Phone, helmet and Nav 5 are paired on Channel 1. (also need to have Smart Link app on phone)
2. Audio system is paired on Channel 2.
Doing this gets everything working together, but I then lost Cardo Community app. After contacting Cardo Support and several attempts to reinstate the Cardo Community app function, they referred me to Schuberth. When I contacted Schuberth Support they told me that I was fortunate to be able to get the helmet, phone, Nav 5 and audio all paired and working together.
My priorities are to have the phone, Nav 5, helmet and audio working together and give up on the Cardo Community app and lose that function. If I only pair my phone and helmet on channel 1, I can then use the Cardo Community app to control some functions in the SRC via the phone app.
I've spent hours and days pairing and unpairing trying to get EVERYTHING working together! So far, the above pairing has been working for three weeks now.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited:
Jim, try this:

I have a Cardo G9, which is very much like the SRC. I believe I am following the Audio System manual that came with my 2015 RT.

1- find out how to unpair each device, do so and you will be starting clean.

2- There are two "channels" the "mobile" [M] and the "plus" [+] that are controlled by buttons marked with a handset symbol and the plus sign symbol. Be consistent with both helmets. Use the [M] to pair to the Audio system. The audio system pairing options are Helmet 1 and Helmet 2, but Helmet 2 must be an SRC unit. The wheel will work (should work) with SRC units, not with my G9.

3- Pair the Nav V to the SRC using [+]. When you first get the pairing rapid flashing on [+], tap [quick push] [+] again to get a slower flashing rate and scan with the Nav V. This is needed for a GPS only. Don't know why this is needed, but Cardo support phone line said to do this and the Cardo G9x manual says so too. Fast Start Guide was not updated when this change was made, said Cardo.

4- Pair the phone to the Nav V. This allows the Nav V access to the phone's contact list, allows a phone icon to be on the map page, allows you to see incoming calls and accept them. All works for me.

My phone has the smart link app and it runs fine and I get weather alerts on the Nav V. I have the Cardo app, but can't seem to get it to work with the Nav V interposed between it and the G9. Also, can't get music on the phone to play through to the G9. No biggie, I have the same 14GB of music on a 64GB memory stick plugged into the Audio System. USB 3 is recommended. Music loads almost right away, but using a USB 2 stick slows the loading hugely.

Try it that way and see if the wheel works.

Get a selection of music you both like.

Do let us know how you make out.

Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions. Ed, I went through the sequence that you suggested (I had previously paired the audio using the + key and the GPS through the mobile key). It worked when I 1st paired but after 2 shutdowns I no longer have audio. Tried different start-up sequences (helmet on 1st then bike and vice versa) with no luck and then tried re-pairing with no change. The interesting thing is I am getting a BT connected symbol on the dash. Looks like I am back to my work around solution and hope that the dealer will find a fix for the problem.
Jim

Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions. Ed, I went through the sequence that you suggested (I had previously paired the audio using the + key and the GPS through the mobile key). It worked when I 1st paired but after 2 shutdowns I no longer have audio. Tried different start-up sequences (helmet on 1st then bike and vice versa) with no luck and then tried re-pairing with no change. The interesting thing is I am getting a BT connected symbol on the dash. Looks like I am back to my work around solution and hope that the dealer will find a fix for the problem.
Jim

It's not clear to me where you are getting music from. I use a USB stick connected to the Audio System.

A friend has an iPhone and an SRC unit. He always loses music after we communicate and he is using a GPS program on the iPhone. Too complex, I figure.

You thought Schuberth SRC Pro to SRC Pro was hard - how about SRC Pro to M1...??

I use a C3Pro with an SRC Pro system. I can get helmet to bike audio, helmet to Nav V, and Nav V to iPhone all to pair and play well. This is on a 2016 R1200RT that I've had for 4 days <big grin>. Thanks to Richard Battles at RKA for his great YouTube video for this.

But my wife uses a Schuberth M1 3/4 helmet with its OEM system (A Cardo system, just like the SRC Pro system).

So far, absolutely no joy on getting her M1 into the mix. It's only been a few days of trying, but wow...is the answer to go back to wired for everything??!!

I use a C3Pro with an SRC Pro system. I can get helmet to bike audio, helmet to Nav V, and Nav V to iPhone all to pair and play well. This is on a 2016 R1200RT that I've had for 4 days <big grin>. Thanks to Richard Battles at RKA for his great YouTube video for this.

But my wife uses a Schuberth M1 3/4 helmet with its OEM system (A Cardo system, just like the SRC Pro system).

So far, absolutely no joy on getting her M1 into the mix. It's only been a few days of trying, but wow...is the answer to go back to wired for everything??!!

You should be able to pair the helmets for intercom use. Only the BMW communication system will pair to two helmets at the same time, so with the SRC Pro/M1 combo only one of you will hear the NAV/radio/other audio. My wife actually prefers to listen to her own music from her phone, so we do not consider that to be a problem.

Edit: Check your SRC Pro manual for "music sharing" - it looks like it now has some ability to relay music from one helmet to another. Page 20 of this pdf:https://www.schuberth.com/fileadmin/content/documents/Manuals_SRC/SRC-System_PRO_Manual.pdf

You should be able to pair the helmets for intercom use. Only the BMW communication system will pair to two helmets at the same time, so with the SRC Pro/M1 combo only one of you will hear the NAV/radio/other audio. My wife actually prefers to listen to her own music from her phone, so we do not consider that to be a problem.

Edit: Check your SRC Pro manual for "music sharing" - it looks like it now has some ability to relay music from one helmet to another. Page 20 of this pdf:https://www.schuberth.com/fileadmin/content/documents/Manuals_SRC/SRC-System_PRO_Manual.pdf

Can I pair all three to my SRC Pro including the bike, the Nav V, and the M1? I thought I had to pick 2 of the three, perhaps I am underestimating how many things can be paired to SRC at same time.

What I did:

Pair SRC Pro to bike audio using the "+" channel on the SRC.
Pair SRC Pro to Nav V using the "-" channel on the SRC (with the "+" tap while pulsing to pair GPS).
Pair Nav V to iPhone.

Can I now also pair M1 to SRC Pro using the "-" channel without the extra "+" tap?

Back