• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Engine guards for 2014 or later 1200RT

I went with the Wunderlich this time around as they were the first to market. Fit and finish is nice and much easier to install than the F800GT ones on my SO's machine. Work nice if you have the factory LED driving lights, or a good place to mount others.

I too went with chrome Wunderlich even though greatly overpriced. I got the rear protection bars as well but they are miserable for my girlfriend. They dig into her legs. Passenger leg comfort on RT not super to begin with given the rear pegs pitch forward so much.

image.jpg

Ilium Works

I got the Ilium Works bars. They were easy to install and, sad to say, I've proven there worth. Had a slow speed drop and there was no damage to the bike.

I went with the Ztechnik engine guards. They went on pretty easily and have the mounting surface pre-done for small LED lights.

20150808_180906_zps7gzpofa6.jpg

20150808_180919_zps0haofaak.jpg

20150908_151942_zpsw0un4ogt.jpg

I opted for the Ilium Works bars. They were (somewhat) more reasonably priced than Wunderlich's, and I like the way the right and left protectors tie into one another with a lateral bar that passes in front of the engine, providing greater structural strength. They seem extremely robust.

RT at Borah Borah.jpg

+1 for the Ilium engine guards. I hit an oil patch while turning at low speed, and made my repair with a black sharpie.

I've been comparing the various options and expect to be ordering the Ilium Work Engine and Bag guards quite soon.

One major reason is that they do not appear to interfere with the regular maintenance of the engine.

Ski

I've looked at the different options and reports on their cost effectiveness vs cost of replacing a cylinder head.
I went with cylinder covers from machineartmoto.
I got the fender extension too.

I've looked at the different options and reports on their cost effectiveness vs cost of replacing a cylinder head.
I went with cylinder covers from machineartmoto.
I got the fender extension too.

I have the Moto X-heads on my bike now and think they would do a pretty reasonable job if the bike tipped over while stopped, but in a moving fall I don't think they would hold up too well. Additionally if the bike tips with only the Moto-X the cylinder head still takes the impact they just wouldn't get scraped up.

They also have no protection for that fancy luggage hanging off the back of the bike, require removal for any work on the plugs.

All that being said, I think they are a fairly reasonably priced way to provide some head protection.

Ski

The Touratech guards look like they will do the best job protecting but its a trade off. Servicing the bike looks like it will require removal, if serving the bike yourself and you have the time great but those using the dealer will pay. Just my observation; I have the Wunderlich bars front and rear, because they where first to market which doesn't make them the best...

Jay

Cylinder head covers...

I went with the BMW cylinder head covers. The Machineart pieces were a bit lower in price, but plastic vs metal. Anybody go with the GIVI aluminum units which seem to be the lowest price option?

Thumbs up on the Touratech guards. At first they seemed almost too cagey. But, I do like them now. Definatley, give you a lot of options for highway peg placement as well. :clap

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Engine-Crash-Bars-Stainless-Steel-BMW-R1200RT-2014-on

View attachment 58182

View attachment 58184

View attachment 58183

Those look like great protection, but it looks to me like the lower portion might touch down before pegs during spirited riding.

Anyone know what brand crash bars bmw police bikes typically use?

You all must be a lot more limber than I am. The very thought of trying to spread my feet far enough apart to clear the cylinder heads makes me hurt.

Ski

Police engine guards

Anyone know what brand crash bars bmw police bikes typically use?

BMW produces the bars used for the RTP. I don't know what the part number is but I'm sure you could look it up (I did a while back). I have seen a picture of one standard RT that had the RTP bars installed, and I didn't think it looked bad. I think they were pretty pricey, though - $800 is the number that sticks in my mind, and that was for the previous generation RT.

Tim

Back