• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 R1200RT Lubricant Capacities

w_quinn@msn.com

Does anyone have a chart on all lubricant capacities for a 2016 R1200RT?
Have not been able to find anything in the owners manual or online.
Thanks

Last edited:
Eng/trans 4L Max final drive 180ml
Easy bike to change both, only Tupperware around filter has to be removed

The transmission is lubricated with engine oil. When you change the oil, you are changing both engine and transmission. Max of 4 liters of 5w40 oil with filter change, but put in 3.5 liters, run it to check for leaks, then stop it and Let it drain for 15 minutes. Then
s l o w l y add oil until the sight glass is at the halfway mark. Bike will shift much better this way.

The transmission is lubricated with engine oil. When you change the oil, you are changing both engine and transmission. Max of 4 liters of 5w40 oil with filter change, but put in 3.5 liters, run it to check for leaks, then stop it and Let it drain for 15 minutes. Then
s l o w l y add oil until the sight glass is at the halfway mark. Bike will shift much better this way.

I agree with Gary, you'll fine 4 liters is too much oil. At 4 quarts the oil come up shy of the the top of the sight glass ring, some folks say that's too much oil it shifts better if it's on the center dot.

Jay

I agree with Gary, you'll fine 4 liters is too much oil. At 4 quarts the oil come up shy of the the top of the sight glass ring, some folks say that's too much oil it shifts better if it's on the center dot.

Jay

I also agree that you should follow that procedure to fill up, however 4 liters is not the same as 4 quarts.

Castrol 5-40 synethic oil I've been buying (Amazon) comes in Qt cans, so 4 quarts comes up just shy of 4 liters. Oil in sight glass is about 3/4 the way up the glass, no issues shifting
DIMPLE DRAIN PLUGS, has a complete magnate set for the 1200LC, well worth the cost

2016 r1200rt

So may be a potentially foolish question. I watched a video online of changing transmission fluid in a 2012 RT. So the 2016 RT id different and they have combined tranny and crankcase fluids? Might explain why I don’t see a separate tranny drain plug…

So may be a potentially foolish question. I watched a video online of changing transmission fluid in a 2012 RT. So the 2016 RT id different and they have combined tranny and crankcase fluids? Might explain why I don’t see a separate tranny drain plug…

Yes, 2016 and 2012 are different. The change started after 2013 with the 2014 year. 2014 is liquid cooled and introduced a wet clutch which shares the transmission, clutch, and engine oil. Pre-2014 uses a dry clutch with separate transmission lubrication.

Back