• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bungee loops for BMW vario cases

mustangguy

I installed bungee loops on my vario cases

I have installed loops to fasten bungee cords to on one of my BMW Vario Cases. The way I fastened it, there are no protrusions into the bag, only into the plastic edge protector. Also, where I fastened the loops, there are two screws holding the edge protector to the case, so they are nice and solid. They feel solid to me, and I will give a shout to you all if I run into problems. I would not use these as anchor points for a ratchet strap, but for bungee cords, I think they are going to hold up fine.

Here is a materials list from Home Depot; $13.78 before tax:

4 X 9/16 in. Stainless Steel Rope Loop
2 X #8-32 tpi x 1/2 in. Stainless-Steel Flat-Head Phillips Drive Machine Screw (6-Piece)
1 X #8 Stainless Steel Flat Washer (12-Pack)
2 X #8-32 Coarse Stainless Steel Nylon Lock Nut (4 per Pack)

I need to go to the hardware store tomorrow and buy more nuts and screws. This was a pretty easy installation, it looks pretty good, and won't rust. Here are a few pictures.

Take out these three stainless screws first:
royR2ECh.jpg

Lift out the locking mechanism in one piece:
Q4G23jEh.jpg

Remove the two torx 20 screws from under the locking mechanism you just removed:
KseNE9Kh.jpg

Now take out these two Torx 20 screws:
KwOZoAMh.jpg

Now you have the edge protector. You will be mounting to this:
1D5FOuWh.jpg

Line up the rope loops about here. You need to eyeball them so they look good. You need them far enough away from the edge to get a washer and nut on inside:
jMWbJiHh.jpg

Now I make a pencil mark where I am going to drill:
QJH51C0h.jpg

Drill the first hole. The bit I am using is 5/32", which makes me have to use a phillips screwdriver to get the machine screw in. I like the tight tolerance.
8JYwqQoh.jpg

With 1 screw in, I drill a hole in the exact center of the other mounting point of the rope loop:
N3B8Rjfh.jpg

Flip over and put a washers and nylon nuts on the back.
CqEzeKu.jpg

V2NY1Ylh.jpg

Put everything back together in the reverse order.

Last edited:
Pictures of the finished product. Don't pay any mind to the pencil marks. They are light, and they erase perfectly well. I just wanted to mark out where obstructions were inside the edge protector.

4UMFKWUh.jpg

UDKY8akh.jpg

4Onb2sCh.jpg

6JFaN2vh.jpg

LuK6YyXh.jpg

2jUVVivh.jpg

baCPpOlh.jpg

DgBiO7Ph.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good :thumb
Real nice to have the pictures of the install. Installation of bungee, rope or footman loops is something that comes up fairly regular.
Gary

Looks good :thumb
Real nice to have the pictures of the install. Installation of bungee, rope or footman loops is something that comes up fairly regular.
Gary

Thanks. I noticed that some folks are a bit shy taking apart these hard bags. There's really not much to it. Also, I thought giving a shopping list would help folks like me who didn't know how I was going to mount and how deep the screws needed to be. The 1/2" screws and nylocks ended up being used.

dry bags on the way

I've ordered a pair of small Wolfman dry bags to put on top of each pannier. Here are the specs:

Dimensions:
Width: 20” / 51cm
Height: 11 1/2” / 29cm (with the ability to get taller)
Front-to-back: 11 1/2” / 29cm
Capacity:
33+ Liters / 2010+ cu in

EX802_Expedition_Duffel_Sm_Yel_14_a_1024x1024.jpg

This will give me a cargo capacity of 134 liters. That's almost 5 cu ft! They will be here Wednesday, and I will post pictures when they get here.

Excellent installation instructions ... thank you !

Bravo! Thanks for sharing in such detail!

Voni
sMiling

I followed your fantastic instructions and successfully installed clips from Carabu on my Vario bags.

Attachments

• 057AF7B3-5EFF-4472-A297-71BA0A734E72.jpg
    057AF7B3-5EFF-4472-A297-71BA0A734E72.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 281
Nice work and thank you for the great photos. 2 additional questions if you don't mind ...1) where did you get your metal bungee loops? and 2) where do you attach the other end of the bungee?

I plan on making a similar modification.

Thanks again!

Nice work and thank you for the great photos. 2 additional questions if you don't mind ...1) where did you get your metal bungee loops? and 2) where do you attach the other end of the bungee?

I plan on making a similar modification.

Thanks again!
You can usually find stainless rope loops at boat supply places and marinas.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

You can usually find stainless rope loops at boat supply places and marinas.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Thanks ... yep .... found the Footman Loops on eBay .... still wondering where the other end of the bungee gets attached.

Suggest you google "marine stainless steel hardware" for high quality hardware that can stand up to the elements and rough use. Many different style fittings.

Back