• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

15 GSA does not start on first attempt

Jotski

Hi, I have a 2015 GSA and it does not start on first press of the starter switch, but ALWAYS on the second press.. Seems weird to me I have been putting up with it but now I worry something maybe screwed up. Does anyone else have this problem?
Happens when engine is hot or cold. :scratch

Welcome to the forum!
There are many Members with the new Wethead, hang on and I'll bet you can get an answer.
Gary

Try hitting the starter right after you turn the key, don't give it time to cycle. worked for me for weeks, then it did not work, so i let it cycle and it started, i think they learn as they go.

Try hitting the starter right after you turn the key, don't give it time to cycle. worked for me for weeks, then it did not work, so i let it cycle and it started, i think they learn as they go.
Yep this, same exactly problem, same exact solution. Issue eventually resolved itself.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

Yep this, same exactly problem, same exact solution. Issue eventually resolved itself.

Thanks for info, will try this out - weird how this solves it, I thought I might be related to the injectors priming with fuel getting out of sync if that's even possible

Thanks for info, will try this out - weird how this solves it, I thought I might be related to the injectors priming with fuel getting out of sync if that's even possible
I and a buddy with the same year bikes both had the same problem and ran dozens of tests over different temps and times of day to the point where we could reproduce and avoid this issue on demand.

We came to the unofficial conclusion that either the fuel pump was shutting off during the reset process of the gauges and is turned back on after an initial start procedure or sensor is not being properly reset during the same process.

Had a '15 RT, started right off every time. Then it went through a period where it would crank with no result, but fire right up the second time. That lasted a while and it stopped, whether by software update or magic I have no idea. I can't really say exactly when it stopped, I just noticed one day it wasn't doing it anymore and hadn't for some time. I remember talking to someone at the Square Route Rally about it (his GS was doing the same thing) and it had stopped by the time I took it on vacation in September.

Had a '15 RT, started right off every time. Then it went through a period where it would crank with no result, but fire right up the second time. That lasted a while and it stopped, whether by software update or magic I have no idea. I can't really say exactly when it stopped, I just noticed one day it wasn't doing it anymore and hadn't for some time. I remember talking to someone at the Square Route Rally about it (his GS was doing the same thing) and it had stopped by the time I took it on vacation in September.

Has anyone have this go away and not come back? Seems to be common problem or maybe just a boxer characteristic! Good thing is it always always starts on second crank. I'm going for service this summer but has anyone had a dealer recognize and diagnose it ?

I have noticed that my 2015 R1200GSA will consistently start by just hitting the starter button when I do not advance the throttle. However, when I inadvertently do advance the throttle even slightly as I press the starter button, as I am accustomed to doing on my other bike, the engine consistently does not start up, but just continues cranking. When I then let loose of the throttle grip and hit just the starter button, the engine fires up immediately.

Don

Hi, I have a 2015 GSA and it does not start on first press of the starter switch, but ALWAYS on the second press.. Seems weird to me I have been putting up with it but now I worry something maybe screwed up. Does anyone else have this problem?
Happens when engine is hot or cold. :scratch

Judging from what I've read, this has been an issue on quite a number of WC since they came out in 2013.

I recall seeing one of those light blue GS WC at a local dealer multiple times for that issue and a consistently noisy decompression valve.
The tech tried everything and couldn't resolve the starting anomaly. Eventually the bike went back to the manufacturer because of the 2 issues and an unhappy owner.

I owned 2 WC, a GS and an RT. Both would start upon first stab of the button every time.

Here's one thread from June '14 ADVrider
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/small-issue-starting-a-new-gsa-wc.984683/

I wouldn't worry about it much, maybe it'll change in time.

Back