• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Crossing into Canada

Why not the outside ones?

In London, some, not all, far outside pumps will only operate with a debit or credit card due to the concern of drive-offs. If you have an American debit or credit card that will not be accepted at Canadian pumps, why waste your time pulling up at those?

Last edited:
We had a little excitement at one of our crossings back into the US this last summer.

When I pulled up to the booth, the Customs agent signaled Debbie up and she pulled in tight behind me. This was a first for us, we have always been questioned separately while one waited back at the line.
The Customs guy took my passport and then went back and got Debbie's without asking me any questions, that's another first to not be questioned.
After a little bit I check my mirrors to see what's going on with Deb and I see 4 Customs guys standing behind Debbie. Oh Oh. I turn to look over my left shoulder and two more agents are pulling a guys hands down from the top of his head and cuffing him. Right then our guy walks up to me and tells me we need to leave NOW. Gladly:) At that point I didn't even know if Debbie had her passport back.
Latter Debbie told me she got spooked because she never noticed the man get out of the truck, and then she hears hands up, and looks over to she him with hands raised. She sees the agents behind her and more people still in the truck. She realizes if someone jumps out of the truck she was sitting in a bad place. I could not hear any of the commotion because I had in ear plugs, but Debbie said she was behinds me saying go,go,go
She was still a little rattled at the next gas stop.

BTW, after 9-11 there is a lot of cameras and electronic equipment at the busier crossings. I'm guessing your plate is being read and the customs agents can see your information on his/her computer before you pull up.
They probably knew there was a warrant on the truck owner, or the truck was stolen and they were ready for him.
I was surprised how many agents were around this guy in nothing flat.

Yes they can and they do.

Crossing back into Michigan one midnight. Pull up, everything friendly. Officer says "Do you know your plate #?" All kind of innocent like.

I didn't because the truck belonged to my buddy, but, I was smart enough to have a signed statement by him saying it was OK to take the truck. When offered the statement, the officer said thanks, have a nice trip.

Be prepared people.

Don't volunteer any info, answer honestly and as short as possible. They know the last time you were in CA and will ask anyways.

I love traveling in Canada. Will be there in July/Aug for sailing in the North Channel. Strong US$ makes is cheap. Canadians are friendly and helpful.

BTW If you have Progressive roadside assistance and live in the US, it will work in Canada as well and they will tow you to the closest Authorized Dealer, regardless of mileage.

In London, some, not all, far outside pumps will only operate with a debit or credit card due to the concern of drive-offs. If you have an American debit or credit card that will not be accepted at Canadian pumps, why waste your time pulling up at those?

We ride in the rural regions of the western provinces these days. Our credit card almost never works and we get a message to see the cashier.. The cashier generally asks that I leave my credit card with him while I pump. I say no but I'll leave my driver's license (don't want to findout that the cashier bought a set of Air Jordans at Amazon while I was pumping); no cashier has ever said no to that.

The further north you get the more likely you are to encounter pumps that do not accept a credit card. Generally you pump then pay, but if they are closed, then there is no fuel.

I've not been in Canada since I got an RFI chipped credit card. I believe (hope) that the new card will work in the fuel pumps.

We ride in the rural regions of the western provinces these days. Our credit card almost never works and we get a message to see the cashier.. The cashier generally asks that I leave my credit card with him while I pump. I say no but I'll leave my driver's license (don't want to findout that the cashier bought a set of Air Jordans at Amazon while I was pumping); no cashier has ever said no to that.

The further north you get the more likely you are to encounter pumps that do not accept a credit card. Generally you pump then pay, but if they are closed, then there is no fuel.

I've not been in Canada since I got an RFI chipped credit card. I believe (hope) that the new card will work in the fuel pumps.
I'd pass on leaving a drivers license- too much personal info. Leave a $20.00 bill, limit your losses and exposure.
OM

I'd pass on leaving a drivers license- too much personal info. Leave a $20.00 bill, limit your losses and exposure.
OM

You are correct, of course. I've been lucky so far. $20CDN won't work because we are filling two bikes, but a US $20 may work these days.

Please remember as well that in BC all gas has to be prepaid with cash or credit card --these are Worksafe BC ( used to be called WCB) regulations following the death of an attendant in a "pump and run" case. I usually just pay at the pump without going inside.

Lakeside, OR is a case in point. Arrive after 8 or 9 pm with an empty tank and you are SOL.

Our chipped US card worked flawlessly in Canada last September at all the PetroCan stations. Shell and other chains seemed to have a lot of "card lock" stations where even tho there is a card slot in the pump no regular cards, chipped or otherwise, would work. Shell was the worst experience; we eventually gave up on them and just stuck with PC.
Best,
DG

Certainly, the wheel shall come a turn. Was not that long ago that it took $1.15US to buy $1CDN.

Yes, it comes and goes.

So when the advantage is $US everyone should go and share the wealth with our neighbors to the north! :wave

Today's rate $1.00 US = $1.38 CN

Or $1.00 CN + $0.73 US

All of Canada is on sale to US citizens now. It may be better in the summer, wait and see.

But US gas will be around a buck by summer so travel in the US will also be a bargain.

We will do both, pull a sailboat to CA using cheap US gas and then spend US$ while in Canada. Win/win

Yes, it comes and goes.

So when the advantage is $US everyone should go and share the wealth with our neighbors to the north! :wave

Or $1.00 CN + $0.73 US

All of Canada is on sale to US citizens now. It may be better in the summer, wait and see.

But US gas will be around a buck by summer so travel in the US will also be a bargain.

We will do both, pull a sailboat to CA using cheap US gas and then spend US$ while in Canada. Win/win

gee, you could maybe sail into Larry's River? Pull boat to east coast and come on up! :thumb

It's a long, long haul from Spanish, ON, where we will most likely launch to Larrys River, NS.:wave

Beautiful. My family sailed out of Meaford and Wasaga Beach and all over Georgian Bay. We are heading to Meaford after the rally to visit an old friend who used to race Isle of Man in early '50s. However, I'm no sailer but that sailing activity is what part of my larger family did for many years. Enjoy! - Bob

Yes, it comes and goes.

Or $1.00 CN + $0.73 US

I thought those things went in the water.... :scratch

Here's a link to the official Canadian Border Services site that should answer all the questions you might ask.
And if you do travel to Canada, please spend a few days and get yourself north.
There is plenty of good riding to be done once you get away from the border.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

Google "Ontario Road Map" and check it out.

Follow this link for information on where to go and how to get there:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/travel-and-recreation

They'll even send you a road map in the mail. Free!

Two years ago we spent about a week between Vancouver and Banff. Everything went on the Visa credit card, right down to a single cup of coffee at McDonald's. Even the parking meters in Stanley Park took credit cards. NO hassles, no worries about having enough Canadian cash, no extra cash to re-convert to USD. Exchange rate and conversion charges at the time meant that the two currencies were essentially equal.

Back