• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Crossing into Canada

gsjay

Can someone update me on what's needed to ride into Canada?

Drivers License? Passport? Owners Card?

What do you need.

Tks,
Jason

Can someone update me on what's needed to ride into Canada?

Drivers License? Passport? Owners Card?

What do you need.

Tks,
Jason

Passport, license (may be asked) - the usual vehicle stuff, no DUI convictions .... just in case, but, passport is critical. No guns. I have also found that no sunglasses on and visor up helps with the conversation. These same things apply for us going into U.S. - Bob

We've been going to Canada several times a year for several years. The only documentation I've ever been asked to provide is a passport (passport card will work and I've heard of something called an enhanced driver's license, but know nothing about it). In fact, although I've always just handed the Canadian border agent my passport, I believe Canada will accept a driver's license. The US, however, requires a passport/card. In over 50 border crossings in the past years the only time I was asked more than the perfuctory questions was when I took my daughter to college from AK. The Canadian agent asked her several questions to ensure she was not being taken against her will or in violation of a custody agreement. Never been searched, never been asked for insurance documents (although it is good idea for you to know exactly what your carrier will do if you file a claim in Canada), never been asked for health certificates for pets and only once out of two times was I asked to pay a fee when I declared that I had firearms in my vehicle (not handguns... no handguns).

Be careful about using your cell phone. Charges for data and calls can be very high; texts have been at whatever rate your stateside plan specifies. Check with your carrier and you may be able to get a short-term international plan. If not then ensure you turn off your data roaming function and that you turn it on sparingly. Also, not a bad idea to confirm what your health insurance will or will not cover while you are in Canada. Their healthcare is just as expensive as ours if you are not covered by their plans. There are plans such as MedJet Assist that will help should you need hospitalization.

Canada is a great nation, with many fine people and offers many exciting riding opportunities. The current exchange rate makes it even better. Enjoy.

Be careful about using your cell phone. Charges for data and calls can be very high; texts have been at whatever rate your stateside plan specifies. Check with your carrier and you may be able to get a short-term international plan. If not then ensure you turn off your data roaming function and that you turn it on sparingly..

This is a good reminder. I've heard of a few people getting hit with pretty good data charges.
I checked twice with our carrier, US Cellular, and was told two different answer on how I would be charged in Canada when we were there this last summer.
The second person seemed to know what she was talking about told me we would be charged a flat rate per minute for calls and we would be charged $3 a day for each day we used a Canada tower. The $3 gave us a small amount of data.
When we returned home there were no extra charges on our bill :dunno We did not make any calls in Canada and used very little data.

Don't forget when you're close to the border you may pick up a Canada tower.

akbeemer said:
In fact, although I've always just handed the Canadian border agent my passport, I believe Canada will accept a driver's license.
The first time we crossed into Canada this summer I handed the agent my license and he was good with that.

BTW, we used a Passport instead of the card.
I was a little worried about the wording for the card that said "Not valid for international travel by air."
I was worried if we were injured in Canada had to be flown back to the States things might get complicated.

Passport or Card is not needed to get into Canada.
If you want to return to the States you'll need one or the other :)
https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/pa...ifference-Between-Passport-Book-and-Card.html

You may truly need it but why...why.?.. in these times would you not have one? It seems like such a simple item to obtain (for most) so that you can avoid the risk of being turned away. - Bob

two more things: cell phone data (as indicated above) should be a concern. I shut off data and just use wifi as needed with a talk/text plan in place by my local server. Secondly, be sure that you have good travel health insurance in place. We always carry an extra 5 million coverage when traveling in the the U.S. - Bob

Expect to be asked to remove your helmet (even if it's a flip up) and glasses, and know your bike's license plate #. If you are pulling a trailer, better know the plate # of that as well. I had a minor problem last year returning home when the officer insisted bike's plate number I was giving was incorrect. Turns out the camera was reading the trailer's plate.

When asked the purpose of your visit, reply with either "pleasure" or "business". This should curtail most other questions. As mentioned previously, no firearms or ammunition. Lie about those and they will put you in a cell.

With your passport and smile, you should have no difficulty entering Canada. Enjoy your visit to our country. :thumb

BTW, we used a Passport instead of the card.
I was a little worried about the wording for the card that said "Not valid for international travel by air."
I was worried if we were injured in Canada had to be flown back to the States things might get complicated.

ya, having a passport cuts through all that fuzzy ambiguity. I understand that another sort of card has been in the discussion stages (or maybe it now exists) for crossing the U.S./Canada border. I've retained a passport for the past 45 years but mostly for back and forth on the U.S./Canada border. The only thing that I was ever hassled about was that Cuban cigar......that they kept :banged -Bob

Pepper spray or mace is not allowed but clearly labelled Bear Spray seems to be ok because we have that here. I don't think that the former will stop you from entering but they will seize it and note it in their files. - Bob

Passport or Card is not needed to get into Canada.
If you want to return to the States you'll need one or the other :)
https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/pa...ifference-Between-Passport-Book-and-Card.html

Not exactly: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...ens---documents-needed-for-entry-into-the-u.s.

You can re-enter the US from Canada if you have an enhanced driver's license. Check with your State DMV. In New York, that enhanced driver's license costs around $30. A passport costs $125 or so (I don't have the current cost).

The best views of Niagara Falls are from the Canadian side, so having the ability to visit Canada and return to the US makes sense for Hamburg Rally attendees.

I've got a passport and will use that. It of course also allows travel by air or cruise ship to many places you may want to travel to.

If you want a passport, now's the time to apply for one. It will take some time to get one. You can get one from many Post Office locations.

Harry

Took a duck hunting trip to Canada last year. Passport, Drivers Lic., Proper Canadian Form for transporting a shotgun, limited ammo, and proper form for the dog showing all vaccines were up to date. No problems for us at the border. I understand that I was the visitor in a foreign country. Bring with you what is required. No joking around (which is hard for me to do). Strictly business.

John

There are plans such as MedJet Assist that will help should you need hospitalization.

I just checked on my foreign travel coverage. Medicare A&B apparently do not cover medical expenses outside the US. MediGap plans can. Retired & active Federal employees under FEHB may be covered for some expenses which are paid by reimbursement. MedJet Assist is not insurance, but rather a means of getting you back to a hospital near your home, if you're more than 150 miles away from it.

Not exactly: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...ens---documents-needed-for-entry-into-the-u.s.

In New York, that enhanced driver's license costs around $30. A passport costs $125 or so (I don't have the current cost).

$135 for a Passport Book and $55 for the Passport Card.

We were not given the option of the enhanced license, I thought that was only available to border states. I need to look at your link closer.
Edit: I found this information.
As of 2013 , an Enhanced Drivers License is available to U.S. citizens resident in the states of Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington, and to Canadian citizens resident in British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec.

I just checked on my foreign travel coverage. Medicare A&B apparently do not cover medical expenses outside the US. MediGap plans can. Retired & active Federal employees under FEHB may be covered for some expenses which are paid by reimbursement. MedJet Assist is not insurance, but rather a means of getting you back to a hospital near your home, if you're more than 150 miles away from it.

I would add that Canadian's coming to the rally should be very clear regarding their accident/health coverage. We use Blue Cross but CAA has similar. I don't lean toward the insurance offered by banks. Could be ok but.... Likely some other options but be sure and read the fine print and be compliant around their protocol for making a claim. - Bob

Edit: if you are covered by more than one insurance company, maybe for different particulars, be sure that you understand how they interrelate in regards to who covers what. Getting tied up in that sort of red tape can't be much fun.

Back