• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

An interesting ATV

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
My brother and his former Marine neighbor, the builder,showed up here from near Houston to field test these last week. They use a zero turn riding mower as the base.
The two prototypes were a kick to operate as Helen gave them a hill test or two.

Makes our Mule look boring:violin

KIMG0383.jpg

KIMG0381.jpg

KIMG0362.jpg

Needs a turret and big gun.

Exactly what my brother came up with, at least a big paintball canon.

It tops out around 12mph,which actually seems fairly quick...I had a few duh moments figuring the push/pull steering when running the trails thru the trees.

Part of the appeal of ATVs are the low pressure tires that are supposed to be somewhat kind to the trail surface. This is the major reason alot of trails are open to ATVs and not dirt bikes. How do the tracks seem compaired to ATV tires on trail surfaces?

In the loose stuff it left some tracks if agressive turns were being made. Our drive area is granite gravel and the tracks were visible as in the pic near the trailer when rotating.
Just running on our limestone based trails, it didn't seem to leave a big footprint.

Tracks for small equipment have come a long way. They allow a smaller machine such as this Vermeer-

S450TX_Action9_Final.jpg5025

to go and do much more than a similar machine with wheels.

Most of the skid-steer manufactures have tracked options-

C10554883

In the beginning, tracked options were a maintenance nightmare. While they have improved greatly, IMO, still "not there yet". Before the parts wear out the units start "walking out of the tracks". This usually happens at the worst time in the worst place.

Mattracks has been building track systems for ATV's, UTV's and even pickup trucks-

ezutv-big.png

All of the track systems have reported almost "go anywhere" performance- except on ice. With ice, some sort of grouser bars seem to be needed.

No doubt that ATV that Steve has shown will lead to even better track technology and improvements in the bogy suspension, idlers and drive systems.

OM

Your experience may vary?

Part of the appeal of ATVs are the low pressure tires that are supposed to be somewhat kind to the trail surface. This is the major reason alot of trails are open to ATVs and not dirt bikes. How do the tracks seem compaired to ATV tires on trail surfaces?

I take care of a 12 mile off road loop.

Our area of upstate Michigan can be sandy.

The motorcycle only trails are much better to ride on than the areas open to quads which end up being like a sandy soup in many cases.

It could certainly be an issue that is terrain type dependent but in general there is nothing as sweet as winding single track.

I think the quad riders are looking for more of a linear experience (like snowmobiles) while the bike riders like to be turning.

Just sayin.

Wayne Koppa
#71,449
Michigan
Home of the Jackpine Enduro (90th running this year)

First reaction: ROPS - roll over protection system, like many dozers and other tractors have.

Harry

First reaction: ROPS - roll over protection system, like many dozers and other tractors have.

Harry

My first constructive feedback to the designer. His first trip from flat Houston area and a learning demo.

Then of course a usable restraint system to keep you on it in case of a roll...how many folks use the ones in their current ATV's? As safety concious I am on bikes, on tractors and ATV's, I'll admit I am not as vigilant.

My first constructive feedback to the designer. His first trip from flat Houston area and a learning demo.

Then of course a usable restraint system to keep you on it in case of a roll...how many folks use the ones in their current ATV's? As safety concious I am on bikes, on tractors and ATV's, I'll admit I am not as vigilant.
ATV's generally don't have restraint systems until they get into the side by side class. I have found it's important on farm tractors as when they go over, they end up on top of you :eek
On skid-steers, especially non enclosed machines, I always use the belts. If you lift a load and tip forward, it keeps you from ending up upside down between the loader arms and the front of the machine. Some of the brands have a restraint bar similar to an amusement park ride that is a great place to rest you arms while operating.
I'd be interested in hearing the chassis brand and the undercarriage brand that were mated together.
OM

Ejection seat capable of launching the rider 150 feet high and a parachute with an automatic deployment system..... and a cup holder.

Back