• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Blue to Silver to Blue

motodan

In September 2008 I ordered two 2009 R1200RT bikes...same equipment, one in Titan Silver and one in Biarritz Blue...Blue for me, Silver for my brother. I sold mine after a while, but my brother held on to his. Now 2015 and my brother turns 80, decides no more riding. I inherit his bike "early" - he gives it to me. However, I do not care for Silver...found a dealer to swap panels with and turned it into this. The garage looks like 2008 all over again.

Attachments

• IMG_1933.jpg
    IMG_1933.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 202
Living in the Chihuahuan Desert with rainwater catchment as a sole water source, I find water conservation to be an admirable activity. :)

Maybe it was different in Kansas, but around here not many people water their yards. Plenty of rain here in the mid-west this year and I was surprised to see a brown yard.
The straw mulch explains the dry look.

Maybe it was different in Kansas, but around here not many people water their yards. Plenty of rain here in the mid-west this year and I was surprised to see a brown yard.
The straw mulch explains the dry look.

Just about all the lawns in our subdivision have lawn sprinkling systems. Quite a few draw from our surrounding "ponds" (pic). Usually lawns do well from Spring through mid July, then pumped water may be needed to keep that green look. Northeast Indiana.

Attachments

• IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 184
Love that the header color is almost exactly the same as the body panels.. :p

+1 Yeah, I almost quit riding mine when it hit that tone it was so nice... Enjoy your beautiful machine and soon those pipes will be a light tan colour that depict a bike that has been ridden as it should be. :dance

In September 2008 I ordered two 2009 R1200RT bikes...same equipment, one in Titan Silver and one in Biarritz Blue...Blue for me, Silver for my brother. I sold mine after a while, but my brother held on to his. Now 2015 and my brother turns 80, decides no more riding. I inherit his bike "early" - he gives it to me. However, I do not care for Silver...found a dealer to swap panels with and turned it into this. The garage looks like 2008 all over again.

Nobody's going to ask? What did the dealer do, swap out with a bike on the floor. My dealer would NEVER do that unless I coughed up some serious $$$$.

My '08 is silver, and would LOVE the Biarritz Blue.

Living in the Chihuahuan Desert with rainwater catchment as a sole water source, I find water conservation to be an admirable activity. :)

Not many lawns here where I live. Lots of rockscape. The only thing I water with any regularity is a lemon tree.

Nobody's going to ask? What did the dealer do, swap out with a bike on the floor. My dealer would NEVER do that unless I coughed up some serious $$$$.

My '08 is silver, and would LOVE the Biarritz Blue.

My dealer wasn't really interested in swapping. He's done this before and it can cause problems. Color doesn't match VIN so buyer complains even though it's color he wants...go figure. I paid what I think is quite a bit to switch. On one hand it seemed too much, but when I looked at all the cost alternatives, it seemed "reasonable".

First, I checked all possibilities outside of trading since it was a gift. Getting used pieces from a source like Beemer Bone Yard would take quite a while if at all and the varying degrees of finish would be interesting...so that was out. I checked with three painters, one being Holt BMW in Ohio. Holt is well known for being a top notch painter. Also checked with a local body shop and paint shop in Indianapolis that does a lot of bikes. The "estimates" ranged from $4,000 to $5,000.

Also calculated BMW's painted parts cost "from the factory". For all necessary pieces, and this includes a 15% discount + tax, about $5,200. Of course by going this route I would have had used panels to sell. I figured I could recoup $1,500 or so after shipping costs and all, but that's all a big "if and when" and possible big PITA.

Since the bike is in great shape, with only 24,000 miles (all serviced from battery, brakes, fluids, valves and such to new alternator belt) so I spent $2,250 to switch out, with them doing panel switching for $250.00. Of course I would like to have gotten it cheaper, but I'm happy with my decision. Especially considering the bike's purchase price of $0....got to love those big brothers!

Exactly. I've checked on such costs through the years...it always seems way too much. If I was doing a custom color, with design work or such - then may be. But going with a stock shade in perhaps not a BMW paint seems way too high. I did have a early 90's R100RS painted professionally back in late 90's. Cost was more reasonable at the time, but it took about 6 months to get it back and the pin-striping was off. That cost was closer to $1,000. Did it through some guy dealer knew (never met him)...dealer went out of business shortly afterwards...perhaps he didn't charge me enough? LOL???

My dealer wasn't really interested in swapping. He's done this before and it can cause problems. Color doesn't match VIN so buyer complains even though it's color he wants...go figure. I paid what I think is quite a bit to switch. On one hand it seemed too much, but when I looked at all the cost alternatives, it seemed "reasonable".

Since the bike is in great shape, with only 24,000 miles (all serviced from battery, brakes, fluids, valves and such to new alternator belt) so I spent $2,250 to switch out, with them doing panel switching for $250.00. Of course I would like to have gotten it cheaper, but I'm happy with my decision. Especially considering the bike's purchase price of $0....got to love those big brothers!

So, the dealer did swap out with one on the floor? Mine would probably do that for $2,500. :wave Hopefully the blue panels were in as nice as shape as yours. (that could be hard to find, considering
what I've seen on the floor)

So, the dealer did swap out with one on the floor? Mine would probably do that for $2,500. :wave Hopefully the blue panels were in as nice as shape as yours. (that could be hard to find, considering
what I've seen on the floor)

You are correct, forgot to say he changed his mind and it was on the floor, and blue panels were in a little better shape than my silver, but they were both pretty good.

Last edited:
Back