• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 Nat'l Rally July 14 - 17 in Hamburg NY

We plan on throwing the BMW in the back of the truck and coming in early so we can tour Canada before the Rally ramps up. We solved the "sleeping on the ground" problem by buying a Sport Tent that goes up in the bed of the truck. If I were coming by myself, I would bring my teepee; but the truck works great.

If Vermont is on the way you've got a pit stop here for the asking. Might have to share the guest bed with two goldens, but it's not dirt.

If Tulliver takes to the sidecar we'll probably head out Tuesday or Wednesday.

So does that mean the rally is only intended for those that are willing/want to sleep in the dirt. Never been so just asking. I would have thought that if no hotels are within a reasonable walk of the rally site, then shuttles are provided to/from the hotel area.

Traveling with a dog, I generally line up Foul Weather Plan B just in case, but the most fun I've had is camping on site. Modern camping gear is a far cry from my Marine infantry days. Set up your tent, take a seat in your Kermit chair or alternative, and prepare to make some new friends. Or you can wander around till you run into some delightfully warped folks like those at Camp Glockenspiel, or Yankee Beemers, or in the beer tent...

Thanks

If Vermont is on the way you've got a pit stop here for the asking. Might have to share the guest bed with two goldens, but it's not dirt.

If Tulliver takes to the sidecar we'll probably head out Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks for the offer. We are going to drive straight through. I think I can make it in 13 hours.

Traveling with a dog, I generally line up Foul Weather Plan B just in case, but the most fun I've had is camping on site. Modern camping gear is a far cry from my Marine infantry days. Set up your tent, take a seat in your Kermit chair or alternative, and prepare to make some new friends. Or you can wander around till you run into some delightfully warped folks like those at Camp Glockenspiel, or Yankee Beemers, or in the beer tent...

But beware of tent placement under tree branches :wave:wave

You're kidding, right?

No

... wondering the exact same thing!

See Above

The National rally experience is fairly unique. Staying on-site is a really good way to do it. There are all kinds of things to do and see and try. Staying elsewhere, although possible, really dilutes the experience. I know because I have done it both ways.

Is "sleep in the dirt" how you view camping in a tent? If so, it is possible that you are unaware of the various advances in cleanliness and creature comforts that have been made since Daniel Boone's days. Nobody is sleeping in dirt. There are usually outfits who set everything up for you (tent, etc.), so all you have to do is show up. I think the tents are even on platforms. Maybe someone can correct me, if I am mistaken.

Well the "sleeping in the dirt" statement seems to hit a sore spot, sorry. I have just never understood the linkage of motorcycle riding and camping. Never camped from the car and never saw the advantage of camping from the bike. I do understand modern camping gear (REI member) but until that tent comes with AC/heat and a private porcelin recepticle, it's beyond my desire to participate.

Now as to the rally participation, perhaps this is one reason that I do not gravitate towards rally's. They are essentially camping events. Now, just in case I do a have a room book a few miles from the National rally site but my original question was more about the rally experience when being offsite. It just seems that their is no accomodation made for those choosing to not camp, but that's ok, I get it.

It just seems that their is no accomodation made for those choosing to not camp, but that's ok, I get it.

RV's are welcome. Motels are nearby. I'm sure taxi service is available for those who wish to party at the rally.

As far as it being too hot at the rally, it's difficult to pin down the weather 7 months in advance. It may be hot, but it may not be.

Harry

No

See Above

Well the "sleeping in the dirt" statement seems to hit a sore spot, sorry. I have just never understood the linkage of motorcycle riding and camping. Never camped from the car and never saw the advantage of camping from the bike. I do understand modern camping gear (REI member) but until that tent comes with AC/heat and a private porcelin recepticle, it's beyond my desire to participate.

If I follow you correctly, the key issues for you are climate control and bathroom proximity/privacy. Fair enough.

Now as to the rally participation, perhaps this is one reason that I do not gravitate towards rally's. They are essentially camping events. Now, just in case I do a have a room book a few miles from the National rally site but my original question was more about the rally experience when being offsite. It just seems that their is no accomodation made for those choosing to not camp, but that's ok, I get it.

I think it is something of a camping event out of necessity. You need a location that can accommodate 5000-8000((?) people and all of the activities like demo rides, seminars, live music, beer tent, vendor barns, etc., and places like that are few and far between, which is a real limiting factor. Also, they try to move the rally to a different region of the country every year, so more people have a chance to attend. Personally, I would love it if they could find a place that also had hotels on site. If you can find one, please suggest it as a possible future location.

AKsuited makes a really good point (below) about RVs. Some people rent them just to have a place to stay on site. I don't know what that costs compared to a hotel room, but it might be an option for you.

When you stay on site, you tend to meet people and make new friends much more so than if you leave. That is a part of the experience. Some people enjoy that. Others may not, I dunno.

RV's are welcome. Motels are nearby. I'm sure taxi service is available for those who wish to party at the rally.

As far as it being too hot at the rally, it's difficult to pin down the weather 7 months in advance. It may be hot, but it may not be.

Harry

I have just never understood the linkage of motorcycle riding and camping.

Hey Tom - it's an independence thing, where you can ride like the wind to wherever you want, stop and sleep for the night. Being completely self-contained is a wonderful thing! :thumb

For somewhat related but also different reasons, I *hate* tent camping at rallies. RV is by far the best way to go.

Often I'll camp away from the rally, like at a state park, if there's something nearby. Sometimes rallies get a bit intense...

Ian

Travman;1025747It just seems that their is no accomodation made for those choosing to not camp said:
I'm not a big camping fan, either. However, considering all the wonderful things that can happen at a rally, especially when "we" sell adult beverages, having the event self-contained has numerous advantages. Now, if we found a hotel convention center that offered rally event space and rooms for our current rally fee, I could live with that.

2016 National Rally

I'm not a big camping fan, either. However, considering all the wonderful things that can happen at a rally, especially when "we" sell adult beverages, having the event self-contained has numerous advantages. Now, if we found a hotel convention center that offered rally event space and rooms for our current rally fee, I could live with that.

We did that in 2003 Charleston WV National Rally. 140,000 feet of indoor vendor space; more seminar rom than we could use; 12,000 seat indoor arena with sound and lighting for the closing ceremony; large municipal parking lot as part of the facility; multiple hotels, restaurants, shops, entertainment and the largest mall in WV within easy walking distance...and some of the best riding on the East Coast 5 minutes in any direction you chose leaving town. Pricing for the local services, hotels and restaurants was extremely reasonable. AFAIK, this was still the most profitable Rally the MOA has ever produced

OK, the camping situation fell apart at the last minute as the college withdrew the promised space we had been planning on but the city stepped up and gave us a nearby city park for free and a local developer offered free space in his local business park. Mother Nature also dealt us a blow (literally) with a microburst that blew down the beer tent, but within a very short time the beer hall had been relocated into the college gym and the entertainment featuring two Grammy winners, the house band from NPR Mountain Stage program, and the Gibson Mandolin All Stars proceeded without an interruption.

The concept was WAY ahead of the times, and highly vilified by the camping crowd who were more influential at the time. I did note with interest that the MOA Regional Getaways that followed the Charleston Rally up to this day are focused on hotel events. Good idea, not so good timing, perhaps the time for such an event is coming again soon.

Friedle, 15249
former 8 year MOA BoD member
3 time National Rally Chair
MOA Ambassador

If you are on the road 30-40-50 or more days, then camping can save a great deal of money. Especially when traveling in the far north where rooms at modest motels can run $200. Example, room at Jasper, AB was $220. Camping spot $20.

We did that in 2003 Charleston WV National Rally. 140,000 feet of indoor vendor space; more seminar rom than we could use; 12,000 seat indoor arena with sound and lighting for the closing ceremony; large municipal parking lot as part of the facility; multiple hotels, restaurants, shops, entertainment and the largest mall in WV within easy walking distance...and some of the best riding on the East Coast 5 minutes in any direction you chose leaving town. Pricing for the local services, hotels and restaurants was extremely reasonable. AFAIK, this was still the most profitable Rally the MOA has ever produced

OK, the camping situation fell apart at the last minute as the college withdrew the promised space we had been planning on but the city stepped up and gave us a nearby city park for free and a local developer offered free space in his local business park. Mother Nature also dealt us a blow (literally) with a microburst that blew down the beer tent, but within a very short time the beer hall had been relocated into the college gym and the entertainment featuring two Grammy winners, the house band from NPR Mountain Stage program, and the Gibson Mandolin All Stars proceeded without an interruption.

The concept was WAY ahead of the times, and highly vilified by the camping crowd who were more influential at the time. I did note with interest that the MOA Regional Getaways that followed the Charleston Rally up to this day are focused on hotel events. Good idea, not so good timing, perhaps the time for such an event is coming again soon.

Friedle, 15249
former 8 year MOA BoD member
3 time National Rally Chair
MOA Ambassador

I believe the time has come again.
Fewer and fewer want to rough it.
Perhaps it's time for your 4th National?
Jason

So I guess that was my point. If I want to partake and have a few adult beverages and see the entertainment, I'm not going to be getting my bike to ride even a few miles. I don't do that. Uber is always a solution. However, in most cities and towns, hotels tend to cluster in small areas. I am just surprised that the rally has not provided offsite shuttle service to get people to and from the site but perhaps I'm in the extreme minority. i tend to that direction.

If you are on the road 30-40-50 or more days, then camping can save a great deal of money. Especially when traveling in the far north where rooms at modest motels can run $200. Example, room at Jasper, AB was $220. Camping spot $20.

Unfortunately work and life gets in the way of my riding time. I do not ever foresee the ability for that duration of a trip. As to hotel costs, yes they always have to be budgeted but there are many alternatives these days to standard hotel rates. In my career, I've got 2000+ nights in hotels so I do have a little experience with travel accommodations.

Hey Tom - it's an independence thing, where you can ride like the wind to wherever you want, stop and sleep for the night. Being completely self-contained is a wonderful thing! :thumb

Oh I get the romanticism. It's the practical application that fails for me.

Good point. I just want to stay one night, not buy the place.

Almost any kind of "name" motel wants $120/night or more... I plan on doing more camping on my next road trip.

Harry

Ok, so it' new years day and things around here are pretty quite so I get on the phone and start looking for a motel room in Hamburg for the National...................
I've got the list in the ON in front of me.

I'm not surprised to find the first couple/three places sold out.

I call the Motel 6, 2.7 miles from the Fairground. They got rooms! $108 a night! (tonight rate $59.00)
I call the Red Carpet Inn, they have rooms but haven't set a rate yet. Call back after the 20th
I call the Econolodge, they have rooms $98.00 (tonight rate $60)
I call the Red Roof, sold out
I call the Best Western. They have rooms $99.00 Thurs, $111.00 Friday & Saturday

Booked the Best Western, they have a pool!
jason

Yeah, the event prices really get you! When Barley and I were on our very circuitous and scenic ride to the Salem rally we ended up in Hood River OR at the end of a particularly grueling day of desert heat. Poor Barley in that fur coat of his was miserable, and I needed to get him into some air conditioning. Unfortunately there was a wind surfing competition as well as some sort of Subaru-sponsored event going on, and the only room available was a King Jacuzzi suite at $280 a night. I was tempted to press on, but Barley was done for the day, so we took it.

I will always remember the look of glee on his face as the jacuzzi jets massaged his rump!

In 2014, I rode to Nova Scotia. Camped most nights. When I didn't camp, I shared a room with Paul as we were traveling together.

Like most here, I don't have unlimited income (though some would wonder considering I just bought another boat :dance) so I make choices. Camp and see more country, motel and see less.

I'm excited to see sales of new BMW's continue to increase. That means more used bikes for people like me.

For campers at the Rally, the more folks staying at a motel, the more area is available on the rally grounds for campers. Win/win

Back