• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Guaranteeing A Successful MOA National Rally

Paul_F

RK Ryder
DAS Rally in Hamburg is fast approaching (July 14-16) and thousands will be attending. To make this Rally a success, it will have shade for camping, seminars, vendors, good local food, hot showers, entertainment, sunny skies and your friends.

However what the MOA National Rally needs to be truly successful is an army of volunteers giving 3 or 4 hours, operating many of the rally’s venue’s, such as door prizes, battery charging station, the beer garden, registration, first aid and more. Besides being crucial for the rally to succeed, volunteering is an enjoyable activity where new friendships are often formed.

Individuals and groups are still needed to fill a number of committee shifts. Some committees only require two or three people per shift; other committees’ shifts can need up to 20 volunteers. Listed below are a number of committees that still require volunteers. The email addresses of Committee Chairs are listed in the April MOA ON on pages 112-113.

If you wish to volunteer, but do not have the April 2016 ON edition, or if you require an explanation of a committee’s duties, please contact me at hamburgvolunteers@gmail.com.

Thank you for becoming a rally volunteer. :thumb

Paul F. Ruffell
DAS Rally Volunteer Chair

Committees still in need of Volunteers and the volunteers needed.

5K Foot Race - 8
Awards and Tallies - 24
Beer Tent - 72
Bike Washing - 22
50/50 Charity - 120
Children’s Events - 12
Coffee - 8
Door Prizes - 60
Entertainment Stage Work - 20
First Aid - 36
Ice Sales - 22
MOA Gear Store - 72
Oil Change - 12
Pin & Patch - 26
Registration - 120
RV Station - 48
Security - 186
Sewing Booth - 45
Shuttle Drivers - 24
Sign Production - 10
Volunteers’ Booth - 60

Last edited:
Bike wash

Bike Wash is EASY, my wife and I had a great time at it but I will not be there this year. Family issues Oh well.

I still remember more the volunteering I did at my first international rally in Montana than any other event.

It really makes the rally so much more fun!

Voni
sMiling

When I was the GATES CHAIR for the Sedalia, MO rally, I dealt with dozens of motivated individuals who volunteered to work shifts at the two main gates to the fairgrounds, which I had to cover 14 hours a day for 4 days.

Great bunch of MOA members and they all seemed to believe that by participating, it enhanced their overall rally experience. None ever complained - all did a great job.

Please - consider 'volunteering' as both a privilege and a pleasure at national rallies - you'll make memories and friendships (Valerie Thompson even came by and signed autographs for the workers) that will make you glad you did! :thumb

272 people for security at an MOA rally? What is driving this, all those guns in the tankbags??? :ha

I hope not! :laugh

I would imagine that number is just to cover all of the gates as well as possibly some indoor vendor security, in the early morning. I just Know that I've been asked to supply 17 volunteers per shift. Gee I hope my math isn't wrong. :dunno

A lot of folks will sign up at the Volunteers' Table at DAS Rally, but the more folks that sign-up early, takes a lot of pressure off trying to find enough helpers during the rally.

If I may put a plug in for my committee, I could certainly use some help for Thursday afternoon and Friday morning at the Volunteers' Table in the MOA building. :wave

Greenwald did a great job on gate security in Missouri...I served him there...and did gates and different tasks at other rallies.

I have emailed one of the chairs for Das Rally and am waiting for a response. If that does not work out, there are lots of great things to choose from!

I have emailed one of the chairs for Das Rally and am waiting for a response. If that does not work out, there are lots of great things to choose from!:dance

I agree; if a committee that you offer to volunteer for is totally booked (I wish), yes, please contact another committee. There are many, many volunteer positions to be filled. :thumb

Chairs need to look at this

I volunteered to help with signs quite a while ago and was told the slots had been filled. Are these figures correct? Barbie and I have volunteered for the beer tent, but we can help out anywhere.

I volunteered to help with signs quite a while ago and was told the slots had been filled. Are these figures correct? Barbie and I have volunteered for the beer tent, but we can help out anywhere.

The Sign Placement Committee does have enough volunteers for the rally. However, the Sign Production could use volunteers from Tuesday through Thursday. At present, they have only one volunteer.

If you should be interested in helping the Sign Production Committee, contact Dan Steele at gsaadv1@gmail.com

Cheers!

Paul F. Ruffell
hamburgvolunteers@gmail.com

It really can't be overstated just how much pressure is removed from the Committee Chairs' knowing in advance of the Rally, that they have enough or almost enough volunteers to operate their shifts. If you are intending to volunteer, it is really appreciated by the Chairs' if you could book a volunteer spot in advance of DAS Rally. :thumb

As both Voni and others have mentioned, volunteering at the National is really quite an enjoyable experience and something that most of us remember long after the event. :)

Please contact one of the Chairs sooner rather than later.

Cheers!

Paul F. Ruffell
hamburgvolunteers@gmail.com

The very first Rally I attended which was in Wisconsin, I showed up early and asked if I could help someone. Chuck Manley was in charge of putting up signage. I helped him and even though that was the first time we met, we had a wonderful afternoon together getting the job done and having a lot of fun.

If you are attending the Rally, you will enjoy it more by volunteering. :thumb

The very first Rally I attended which was in Wisconsin, I showed up early and asked if I could help someone. Chuck Manley was in charge of putting up signage. I helped him and even though that was the first time we met, we had a wonderful afternoon together getting the job done and having a lot of fun.

If you are attending the Rally, you will enjoy it more by volunteering. :thumb

"If you are attending the Rally, you will enjoy it more by volunteering."

Truer words were never spoken! :thumb

This will be my wife's first MOA rally-i know she'll be impressed-any yoga sessions going on at the event? If not, she teaches restorative yoga (great for older folks) which I find to be of great benefit for sitting in the saddle. Maybe she could be a "volunteer" for those that might want to take advantage of her skills?

Back