• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

35 years in the bag.....36654

Well, as of tomorrow midnight, I will have completed 35 years of MOA membership. I joined
at the recommendation of the salesman when I bought a left-over 1984 R80ST in 1985. The
dealership was Sholley's in Harrisburg, PA and the salesman was a member of the Dutch Country
Riders. A year or so later, that club hosted the MOA rally at the York PA fairgrounds.

In those days, the MOA was my only source for information on my bike and it's replacement,
a 1986 k75c. Paul Glaves, Rob Lentini, etc. provided a steady stream of tech info. Especially,
with the "brick" K-bikes, that was critical. Many dealers were struggling and couldn't keep up
with the technology for the new bikes. The Airhead vs Non-Airhead rivalry was real in those days,
but the K-bikes were game changing for BMW. Bullet-proof reliability with excellent brakes.

In those years, I attended a few rallys, York PA, Morganton NC, Moodus CT, Missoula MT,
Rhinebeck NY. At that time, it seemed you could build a complete airhead from the array of
parts that Bob's BMW brought to any national rally.

At the end of the 1999 riding season, I purchased a new R1100RS and discovered the benefits
of modern suspension technology and the annoyance of balancing throttle bodies. In most
regards a great bike, which I owned for 17-years, it never really melded with me. It's mirrors
vibrated, those of the old K75c didin't. That annoyed me, even with the 25 additional horsepower.

During the ownership of the Oilhead, I bought a house, got married, became older and didn't
attend as many rallies; Trenton ON, Midland MI, Bloomsburg PA and St. Paul MN. Most of my
interaction with the MOA in these years and later was via the MOA Forum. The magazine had
become something I didn't even remove from the wrapper. It was pretty, but the info was dated
or available elsewhere. I think I was one of the early members who asked Ted to keep my copy
of the magazine for dealership distribution.

My last bit in this journey was the purchase of a new R1200RS LC in 2016. The front suspension
and throttle by wire took some adjustment on my part, the lack of engine vibration reminded me
of my K-bike. In addition, being lupin and metallic grey-white, it's very pretty.

2016 was also the last MOA Rally I attended. Contrary to my assumptions, the Hamburg site was
pretty darn good. Of course, in 30-years, the MOA rally's have evolved and the old "vendor" event
is long gone. Just like the Mall is dead. However, you can take a BMW motorcycle tour almost
anywhere. And, yes, I do feel quilty for all those free espressos I sampled at the Columbian
Motorcycle Tour booth. For some reason, being shot in a Civil/Drug War outweighs my interest in
riding a motorcycle in a country with great coffee.

So, that bring us to today. 35-yrs is a pretty long trial period and I've met a number of nice folks.
I've always treasured of our Canadian members for providing that mirror on our self-obsessed (i.e., insane)
American ideas. I've also enjoyed the folks that attempted to bring humor to the club and forum. We've
been in short supply of that for some time. Hopefully, someday, someone will do a demographic study of
the membership to see who they are. And, someday, I promise, I will stare at Visian's triangle diagram until
I see the pinwheels he describes.

So, be safe, best wishes and good-bye. I'm off to adventures elsewhere, but still riding my R1200RS.

Miles of Smiles as Mrs. Glaves would say (I think)

I'm very sorry to see you leave. The BMW MOA needs you and other folks like you. But, happy trails.

I for one will miss your comments, which have always been interesting and helpful in keeping many threads active. Continue to enjoy the R1200RS.

Very sorry to see you leaving us. Your commentary showed insightfulness and a wry sense of humor, both of which are needed in navigating today’s world. I hope you enjoy many more miles and smiles as you move on down the road.

Best wishes,
DeVern

I'm going to start a rumor that you two ran off together :)

I think I heard that too!:laugh

Stick around and make it 40.
I like your posts, you're alright for a liberal :)

Seriously, I agree with Lee, you will be missed; I've enjoyed your insights and perspective over the years. Plus, now I might be the last liberal and that ain't good odds. :beer

Don't go. Isn't there some combination of years of membership and age that grants you free membership?

Voni
hoping for more reasons to sMile

I'm missing the "why" you are leaving? 35 years is just a good start. :)

See comments about timeliness of information delivery via print and the availability of access to parts and products outside of a rally event.

He “left” almost 5 years ago, if I read this correctly. This is a member in the prime member demographic that no longer sees the value in the club’s value proposition.

Member age is just one symptom of the club’s issues with understanding exactly what and who it should be, imho.

Don't go. Isn't there some combination of years of membership and age that grants you free membership?

Voni
hoping for more reasons to sMile

I've been a member two years longer and I think I'm a few years older than Mr 36.
From what I remember I'm not close to qualifying for free membership.

What's the chances of free access to the forum after a certain number of years like 30 or 35.

Edit: I found a post that said you need to be 75 and been a member for 25 years to get free membership.

Back